1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sending a/v from computer to tv

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rtrg, Jul 30, 2018.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

a little explanation first. i am sending a/v to my tv. the tv has a line level audio connection. i am using a line level powered preamp to drive headphones. just works in terms of volume. question--- can i use a second preamp in series to drive the same phones? or am i better off to replace the preamp with a small 3 stage amp to drive the phones instead of speakers? this will allow both tv speakers and headphones by selection. the phones give better stereo than the tv speakers.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Line level preamp ? you mean what the pc provides out of it's audio jack or an actual separate amp.
    You can put an amp after another amp, tho it'd be better to run pc direct to an actual amp

i.e

I run a normal house stereo receiver amp 5:1 from there it goes to cabinet speakers. PC provides the sound thru head phone jack to cd input on receiver & video from hdmi or whatever vid connection on the tv from graphics card. You can do the same & get sound to heaphones from it's audio jack on the front of the receiver/amp. Advantage of this is connecting consoles & getting sound to speakers by using an av selector. By moving the switch i can select whether pc gives sound or a console without having to attach rca's to tv/sat , dvd/ld , dvr/vcr as all connections go thru cd player via a separate selector. Speakers are connected by stripping bare the wire to expose the copper. TV sound is set to 0 as there's no off