1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending internet to PS2 from computer?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by terio, Apr 1, 2005.

1. terio

terio Member

Hi everyone, I have a computer that has 2 ethernet cards in it. One is a wireless card which I use on a wireless network to get my internet. The other is a regular ethernet card with a opening for a rj45 (your typical ethernet cable head). If I connect a ethernet wire from the card in my computer to my ps2 network adapter, is there someway I can route/forward/send the internet to the ps2? Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

2. DurGil

DurGil Guest

I have the same question. I have a WAP connected to my router which is connected to my broadband. With a Cat-5 cable I can connect to the router directly and get my PS2 online, but would rather not have cabless strung all across the room. Any help would be appreciated. I have some basic experience with networking, but am stumped here. Thanks in advance.

3. trys

trys Member

I don't have a router, but a stupid ADSL speedtouch connection. Without buying one, there is a way apparently.

Using a crossover cable from the PS2 NETWORK ADAPTER, to the back of [bold]1[/bold] spare 10/100 NIC CARD?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

@terio:
    Best route to go would to buy a wireless bridge adapter to convert the ethernet on the PS2 to wireless and configure it to connect directly to the router.

@DurGil:
    Same solution. A wireless bridge would allow your PS2 to connect to the WAP.

@trys:
    If you run Windows and it has the Internet Connection Sharing feature, enable it and run that CAT5 crossover cable between the PS2 and the open LAN port on the PC.

5. trys

trys Member

Yeah is the LAN port the Ethernet output at the back? If I enable the Connection Sharing Feature, but says the LAN must be disconnected, Error 783.

Is that a LAN output then? If yes, it just says its disconnected, re-activate again to enable connection sharing.

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The PS2 uses a stateful connection when accessing the Internet meaning that the PS2 ethernet port is always off when not accessing the Internet. This would cause the PC to think that the cable is disconnected even when you have it plugged in properly. Refer to this Microsoft KB article for more information about the error you receive:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241769

7. trys

trys Member

I don't know how to change the IP adress.

I have the crossover cable, to the Ethernet Nic card (LAN). Double clicking on the Local Area Connection results in failure because of this Error 783.

If I change the IP adress would then everything work? I just don't know how to change the IP adress though. Please help me Ice monkey, or anyone. Thankyou/

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Goto the Network Connections screen. Right-click on the network connection you wish to change the IP address for and select Properties from the shortcut menu that appears. Next, double-click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP and you will see a screen showing the IP configuration for that connection. Change the last digit of the IP address specified to one other than 1 or set it to Obtain IP Address Automatically.

9. trys

trys Member

Either of those ideas don't work. I restarted my computer, but it still doesn't connect. "Connection is unplugged". Obtain an adress automatically doesn't work either. Do I have to put something in the DNS server part??

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Click Start->Run and type cmd and press Enter. When the command prompt appears, type ipconfig /all and press Enter. Post your results here.

11. trys

trys Member

yeah Ive just done this. Here are the results

Ethernet Adapter - Playstation 2 - Local AreaWindows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MACHINENAME
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet card - Playstation 2 - Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable Disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 C+ Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-54-35-3B-E0

PPP adapter Wanadoo Broadband 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.79.76.127
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 81.79.76.127
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.92.195.94
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

There you go.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  12. terio

terio Member

Thanks for the suggestion but A wireless bridge is going to be atleast $50+ (ill probaly end up buying it by the end of the day anyway). Any other possible alternatives? I dont mind having wires slung all across my room ha!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  13. trys

trys Member

Can anyone help me? Above is the list when i type in the command prompt: ipconfig /all

The Local Area Connection comes up 'active' when I insert the ps2 disc and configuire everything on the ps2, (because apparently they need to "talk" together because the ps2 is like a pc).

The first green lights up, but then, as the DNS is not configuired automatically, it fails at that. What should I be doing? I need to make some things the same in the Local Area NEtwork TCP properties, the same as the settings it askes you on the ps2 setup disc.

Does anyone know what I can do?

14. superstui

superstui Regular member

i have a hard drive,hd loader, network adaptor, good computer,emulatos, games, mem cards... with just those things will I be able to put emulators on my pd2 hd WITHOUT a mod or swap by transfering