1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separating dialogue and music

Discussion in 'Audio' started by taclark, Feb 24, 2004.

1. taclark

taclark Guest

My four-year-old loves Men in Black, Back to the Future, etc. But I don't like him parroting the language, e.g. "My God-damn truck!" Sure, I could just not let him watch such movies, but I'd rather cut out the language. I've done this by silencing the audio or deleting a few frames using Womble's MPEG Video Wizard, but what I'd really like to do is separate the dialogue and music somehow so that I can silence the dialogue while leaving the background music in place. Such edits would be made using Adobe Premiere.

Can you help me? I've searched the forums and either not found the answer or failed to understand/recognize such answer.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. Help! Please educate me.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2004
  2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

You have to extract the audio track to a separate file, then try what's described here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/72612
    Then convert the result back to original format (e.g. AC3) and re-mux with video. (For details about 1st and 3rd step see afterdawn video forums.)

3. taclark

taclark Guest

4. taclark

taclark Guest

tigre,

I looked at the link provided, about removing vocals from a soundtrack. Very interesting. I might want to try that some day, but for now, I looking for something that I might be more comfortable with. (I'm not familiar with the audio editors referred to in that thread and I don't think I need this for my current project.)

I believe you got me started in the right direction by pointing me back to video editing. I've made progress, but I'm still not there. Any additional input or suggestions you (tigre) have are appreciated.

Using Besweet, I was able to separate the AC3 audio into 6 mono tracks. The center channel contains the dialogue, which I am now able to edit in Premiere.

You indicated in the third step that I will need to re-mux, and you directed me back to the video forums. I've searched remux and not found any help. I found a post from almost a year ago where someone was asking how to combine 6 mono channels back into AC3, but unfortunately, no one ever answered that post.

Do you know if Besweet is capable of doing this. . .basically remixing these mono tracks? If not, do you have any suggestions for another tool?

Thanks for your help.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. Help! Please educate me.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2004
  5. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

I can't help you much if you want to encode to AC3 - I never did that myself. I know there's a free (and crappy encoder), there's a plugin for nero based on it:
    http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org
    Maybe you find helpful information at doom9.org audio forum (see sticky threads).

6. taclark

taclark Guest

I think I'm getting there with BeSweet, but figuring out how to use the great tools contained therein is rather challenging. I will post my steps here, if they work out, for anyone else that may be trying to do the same thing.

Thanks for you help.

7. taclark

taclark Guest

From the six wave files extracted from the original AC3 audio, I edited the center channel, deleting or silencing content that I didn't want. The other five wave files were discarded.

The original AC3 audio was also run through BeSweet with the center channel silenced (-66 dB).

These two audio sources were then added with the MPEG-2 video. I haven't yet exported the project, but it looks like its going to work out.

If anyone knows of a stand alone editor that would allow me to do all this without using BeSweet or converting to AVI, please let me know.