1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serial ATA drives

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tony7914, Jan 1, 2005.

1. tony7914

tony7914 Guest

hi!
    my motherboard supports 2 serial ATA drives it has the Promise chipset i belive, i've never set up or used a RAID array either, my question is can one use the serial drives instead of the IDE drives? i know the bandwidth gains are not that much but i'm curious as to what advantages i could get from serial VS IDE. any help or info would be great!!
    thanks in advance!

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Yeah you can use the SATA drives instead of IDE. I currently use my onboard silicon controller to run 2 60GB Maxtors in RAID0.

The biggest performance gain I can see is when moving large files around. For instance, on my other computer my ide drive can take up to a minute or two to delete a large number of files (say 20-30GB). On my SATA striped array it takes less than a second. Plus it seems to install XP a lot quicker.

Other than that I can't think of any performance gain. Some bad things are you're twice as likely to have a failure as if one of your drives goes down, you lose everything.

I'd just summarize and say that the only benefits are a good speed gain.

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

in my opinion you wont see too much of difference with one sata drive over ide . it is when you pair 2 drives in a raid + sata that you really see a performance increase especially if using 2 western digital 10000 rpm drives in a raid like myself .
    the problem is as stated above if i were to lose a drive i would lose all of my data on the raid . there are pro's and con's to this . i take the risk for the performance increase as i back up all of my data so it doesnt matter if i lose a drive .

4. tony7914

tony7914 Guest

hi!
    thanks for the info!!