1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious error using dvd shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by merlin112, Mar 23, 2005.

1. merlin112

merlin112 Member

About 3% into encoding phase my comp restarts, runs a scandisk, and dumps the physical memory.

I have a somewhat unique setup:
    800 Athlon
    Asus K7v
    2 hard drives: 1 with Win98, 1 with XP
    Switch to separate the two systems
    512 Mb ram
    The xp system is fairley bare (only burning and ripping programs to help speed up the process)
    NEC 3520a with stock firmware, dee's 1u8, 1.26, doesn't seem to matter what I use.

The problem started in XP about 10 movies after flashing to dee's firmware. Thought it might have something to do with that so I flashed back. Service pack 2 was the only other program running (csrss.exe) at the time of the crash.

I switched over to the other drive and tried using win98 and have the same results.

Seem to have exhausted all possibilities except for a bad mem stick or some kind of hardware problem because it happens on both systems which are isolated from eachother.

If someone has any ideas, please help. Sorry if I forgot any important details, I'm new to the forum.
    If needed, I wrote down the error message.
    Thanks

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

moved to "DVD Shrink Forum".

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

initially i would have thought heat related, but only if your computer does the same during say, fast modern 3D games. oops gotta cut the reply short gotta go do some work. But you seem to know your stuff and i eould tend to agree with the memory stick theory as a start, if you can borrow another stick just to rule it out maybe..

4. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. I started beating my head on the monitor to see if that helped cause nothing else worked.

The more that I think about it, I took a 128 stick out of an old Comcrap and bumped my dinosaur up. My original sticks were pc133 and I think the other one may be pc100.

Since it is happening on two os's, two different hd's, with the switch flipped and the comp only recognizing one, it's got to be a piece of common hardware. I.E. video card, memory, or something.

Thanks for the reply. First thing after work in the morning will be to pull the 3rd stick out and try again.

5. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Thought I would sign my messages.

6. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Yep. It was the memory stick. Or we could call it operator error. Thanks a bunch for the assistance.

7. creaky

nice one, and thanks for reporting back. And make sure to come back and help others when you can, you can never have enough ppl who help others by helping themselves :)

8. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Yeah, so I thought that was it. Later on that night the computer shut down and I opened it up. The processor was too hot to touch. I restarted and the cpu fan that I just put in about a week ago was only running at 1000 rpm. I put the old fan (was making noise like the bearing was going) back in till I can get another and things seemed to work. Then it seemed that if I check the extra compression setting, it froze up. Now I am only doing deep analysis and it's working. I think the computer is getting too old to be pushed to the max like this. Still time to build a new one. Thinking AMD64 3000+ oc'd to 2.5ish. Any suggestions on the mobo?
    Thanks again for the help.

9. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Oh yeah, I also did a memory test with Norton on my 98 side and the origina 128 from when I built the computer failed the test. Took it out and the 256 that I bought 2 years ago passed. So now I'm left with only 256 mb of ram. Will this have a negative effect on the backup process?

10. creaky

i'm no XP expert (use Win2K meself, havn't used XP since it came out). I often read that XP uses loads of memory, though from what i recall it runs leaner than Win2K (or is it that XP runs better on slower cpu's); anyway as to mobo, don't know, i don't follow what's new in the pc world as much as i used to, things change to fast lol. check my sig. my rig is lightning fast, and is less than 6mths old. as to your 256mb question, just try it, should be ok, especially as progs like Shrink are cpu hungry , not memory hungry.

hope that helps

11. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Thanks. Lightning fast is cool but I'm looking for over clocking ability and upgrade ability for the future.

12. creaky

yer, thats fine. i just wanted a cheap and fast machine for burning & remote working, and that would be 'current' for some time to come. No overclocking for me anymore (i used to have o/clocked pentium rigs with like 14fans).
    For one i got Athlon which obviously equals very hot CPU, for two i live on a boat, so what i don't want is something that's overclocked/too hot/too bulky for my boat/or a fire risk!. i don't leave pc on any more when im not there, athlon's run far too hot for my liking!

13. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Suprised to hear that. Everyone else I talk to compare the 3000+ with P4 Extreme Edition 3.2 gig and the AMD runs 10 to 20 degrees cooler than the P4 at idle. Even under serious load the AMD only hit around 50 during the benchmarks and is rated to be kept under 70 or 90 I think. Most of these people had stock cooling. I dunno, it was a while ago that I looked into it. The AMD 64 at 2.0 gig was neck and neck with the P4-EE in the benchmarks and even won the video compression race. The P4 was at 3.2 gig. To me that says that the AMD does more processing per clock cycle with room to juice it to about 2.5ish with out overheating. Plus most new cases(that look decent) today are already equipped with 4 or more fans and a temp display for the cpu. For now I am an AMD man until Intel can come up with something that actually impresses me.

14. creaky

wen i first bought my current machine - http://www.silentpcreview.com/modul...s&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=100&page=1

it kept overheating. turned out the supplied cooler was crap, so bought something rated for a 3000XP (my cpu is a 2800); cooler looks the same, ie massive!, and my cpu is rated as high as 85centigrade; it runs around 71ish most of the time, prob about 75 when burning or doing other busy stuff.

Anyway, i'm from the heady heights of P3's and older, can't believe how hot the newer cpu's are; i'm just an old git as my first cpu's didn't need heatsinks or fans :)
    (bought into AMD this time round as i kept reading how crap (and more expensive) the comparable Intel's were

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  15. merlin112

merlin112 Member

So we do agree somewhat. My biggest question is the fact that your 2800 is running so hot. If you read the reviews on Newegg, everyone who owns a newer AMD says that they run cool compaired to Intel and even older AMD chips.

If your cpu is maxed at 85 that leaves you 10 to work with, which hardly seems worth it. My only reason to overclock is cause I can. 50 to 80 leaves a lot more room to play, so why not? Maybe everybody on Newegg's reviews are blowing smoke. I can't say cause I don't own one yet. In the next couple of months I am gonna buy components to build the machine. I will let you know how the heat situation goes.

Do you think that the mobo has anything to do with how hot the cpu runs?

16. creaky

i guess it's just the tiny case/limited airflow. it's no problem, if i'm at home the pc stays on the whole time, never overheats or anything, it's got fancy LEDs on the front that state when temperature is within limits/working hard/beeps when its too hot. I'm perfectly happy with it, no probs at all encoding dvds all day long, or running seti@home etc. I used to iverclock, but lost interest in all things PC, i'm just happy that it's stable. Which is more than i can say about my work PC - i'm sat here and the only things that run on my Windows work pc is viruscan and hummingbird (for my unix job). nothing else works since the latest (sigh) virus outbreak.
    Funnily enough this pc i'm on (linux) is 100% fine, surprise !. Oh and all my Unix servers are boringly/i mean predictably unaffected. laugh, i would if it wasn't so early!! :)