1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious Hard Drive Issues

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by cosmos23, Mar 21, 2007.

1. cosmos23

cosmos23 Member

Hey guys, I have a problem with one of my hard drives, and hoping someone can help me. I just got a Used 40gb Seagate Hard Drive, and I wiped it cleaned, did a fresh install of XP, and then loaded my normal software, and video.

However, the problem started when I wanted to abort of burning a DVD on Nero. I did that, and the DVD drive kept spinning instead, with the light blinking, I could not open the DVD drive at all, and it would not let me close it down. I had restarted the system, and the normal start up screens info came up, but when it got up the the section with the Windows Logo with the status bar, I got a black screen instead.

I tried repair + other things, and finally gave up. The Data was still shown to be on the drive. I did another clean, and re-install again. When I tried to boot up today, the drive wouldn't even let me get past the start up screen before the Windows Logon, and I couldn't load my Win XP CD, it would just stale, no blinking light.

I tried using my other hard drive 10gb, and have had no problems at all before and after this started happening when I got it 5 days ago from my bro. Could anyone explain the problem (corrupted HD?), or help me fix this problem? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I would say the drive is dead, or going dead. I would make it a slave, use your 10GB hard drive to boot up, see if you can get data off of the 40GB hard drive, and if you do, shut down the computer, pull out that 40GB hard drive, and throw it in your brothers trash can.

Then, get a new high capacity hard drive. They are inexpensive now.

3. cosmos23

cosmos23 Member

Thanks GrandpaBW, I was thinking that it was the hard drive, and glad to learn the problem and solution. Thanks again!

P.S "throw it in your brothers trash can"... Heh, Done!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007