1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious problem PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by met3460, Jan 22, 2005.

1. met3460

met3460 Member

When i go to use certain programs on windows they will get to a certain point and then just shut down. Now its not the computer that shuts down just the program. I ran adaware se thinking it was spyware or a trojan and same problem. It does this with Nero, and winmpeg video convert as well as numerous other programs, but not all of them. It is not the programs because i have ran them on different compuers and they ran fine. Any Ideas???

2. hardcandy

hardcandy Guest

It doesn't seem serious to me. "It is not the programs because i have ran them on different compuers and they ran fine. Any Ideas???" What would your guess be? Hardware or software or human error?

3. met3460

met3460 Member

Oh by the way i have used it on this same computer that it is now not working on, so you are wrong there is no hardware error, i belive it to be a actual system error.

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

what are the pc specs ? is the machine running out of memory ? is there a failing ram module ? some machines will run fine until you put them under a load , have you ran scan disk or check disk tools ? there could be many reasons for your problem but there is no telling without more info . what exactly are the problems ? any answers without more info would be a shot in the dark .

5. met3460

met3460 Member

I only have 512 ram that is pc2700 single channel and yea i ran a scan disc and numerous virus programs and still get the same problem. I think it could be running out of memory because i have a 120 gb h.d. that is at 110 full, yet when this happens i have no other programs running. Also the actual computer is not slow. This happened to me before so i reloaded the operating system and was good for a while but now its back.

6. xxme2xx

xxme2xx Member

Did you upgrade any drivers before this started happening? I've had simular problems with my video drivers and the new nvidia drivers (unless they came out with new ones in the last week or so)will not work on either of my computers.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

I believe I found the Amazing Kreskin's mayo jar... and the answer is...

On a serious not. If any tests need to be run, SiSoft Sandra is a good analysis program. The Lite version is free to the individual user. http://www.sisoftware.net Use individual test modules as needed. A complete analysis is time consuming and will swamp the user in information.

8. colw

colw Active member

You should always leave a minimum of 10% of your hard drive space free for system processes/temp files etc.

For successful framentation, Windows requires 15% hard drive space free.

Suggest you delete or backup unnecessary programs and defrag your system.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Okay, I believe the problem has been pointed out. You are running out of HD space. You need at least 15 to 20 GB free to record DVD movies; preferrably the 20. Free up some hard drive space and then try it again.

10. met3460

met3460 Member

thanks for the info. ill try this tommorow.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome. It's a common problem. People use up their hard drive and run into failures due to a lack of system resources.

12. hijacker

hijacker Guest

could be sasser or blaster worm.did you reimage your hdd?

13. brobear

brobear Guest

hijacker
    Highly doubtful. Note that anti virus software is in use. If any that are halfway decent are in use, then those problems would have shown up.

Hard drives are not expensive anymore, it might be an idea to add one to this PC. That is the route I took when I started getting cramped for space.

14. hardcandy

hardcandy Guest

Even better than buying a new drive, is to backup some stuff on a dvd, preferably compressed. Then go through and take a look at files you have not used in 3 months. 110 GB seems to be a lot of data, unless you have it filled with movies. Delete and clean.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

hardcandy
    Record some music, put a few movies on the HD, and load a bunch of files and a complement of software. Picture programs with digital photos are a fad. A 120 GB HD is getting to be entry level. Yes, if one wants to play on the cheap, just clear some space as I stated earlier. If you want to keep the current programming, then another HD is a simple solution and not an expensive one. I'd already covered both bases for met3460. He just needs to clear enough space to make sure that was the problem and then decide the route to take.