1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious problems with DVD Decrypter & Shrink..... SOS! :o(

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jomarrod, Nov 10, 2004.

1. jomarrod

jomarrod Member

I used to use the older version for DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink and never had a problem. Recently I downdloaded the newest versions for both but all I have had is bad luck:

1. DVDShrink freezes up most of the time when I try to back up a DVD, so I have to shut down the PC and loose everything and start all over again with no luck

2. IF (big "if") I get to finish the Shinking it, DVD Decrypter gives me the error message (something like): ".... it can not be performed because of an I/O device error".

I have wasted soooooo many blank DVD's (HP, Maxell & Neon brand)

I have tried installing/uninstalling both softwares many times and nada. Could it be the configuratiion perhaps?.....

Here is what I have in my PC:
    Running XP pro
    External Maxtor HD
    External HP DVD300e burner

...Did I mention that I am completely lost when it comes to burning with NeroVision Express 6.0 ?... (is there a guide out there for Nero's new version?)

ANY input will be a life saver. I have not given up yet (I used to love backing up my DVD but now it is a waste of time because after spending money and LOTS of time, I get NOTHING done)

Please help!!!

2. jomarrod

jomarrod Member

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jomarrod, For a Jr. Member it doesn't seem that you've learned too much - learn to wait - "Bumps" aren't necessary.

When does it "freeze up" during what process ?

Initial Analyzing ?

Encoding ?

An I/O error is usually because of poor media. The HP discs you were using were fine. +R Maxells S/b fine but -R are defiantly not ! Neon can't even be found (really not a good sign at all).

Not being all that smart myself, why did you decide not to use some RW media until you solved your problem ?

No, you didn't mention it - What has that got to do with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter ?

As for a guide, I saw a bunch of them over at their site under "Support" then "Tutorials", you should check it out :)

You'll need to let me know EXACTLY what steps you took with what proggy that led to errors so we'll know where to start.

What guide have you been using AND did you check all your proggy's settings against that to make sure you didn't lose a setting ?

When is the last time you did a HD Defrag ?

Have you checked your ASPI layer ?

What did it say ?

Let me know,

Pete

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Moved to DVD Shrink Forum

5. jomarrod

jomarrod Member

Sorry for the bump.

When does it "freeze up" during what process ?
    Most of the time during encoding

I have been using now DVD+RW and the same thing happens

I just tried backing up Scooby Doo 2 and the process with DVDShrink was fine but when I use DVD Decrypter to burn, it gets stuck about 50% and gives me the error: "the operation can not be performed because of an i/o device error"

last time I did a HD difrag was a month ago. As for the ASPI layer, I am lost there?.... could you tell me how to do that?....

When it comes to encoding the DVD using shrink, with the option to burn with nero, it never works for me (it freezes up). I have checked the settings and everything seems fine.

Thank you for replying

6. jomarrod

jomarrod Member

It did it again!
    Somehow I was able to encode a movie using DVD Shrink ... but when I tried burning it using DVD Decrypter, it gave me this error message:
    "failed to read from file: MOVIE_NAME
    Reason: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

I have followed ScubaPete's step by step, easy -as-pie instructions

I am gonna go thru this until I get it to work (of course, with the kind advise that you can provide)

:)

7. thekep

thekep Member

if someone would tell me what an ASPI layer was i'd appreciate it.

8. jomarrod

jomarrod Member

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jomarrod,

A "Cyclic Redundancy error" or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won't accept your "cheap" media :-(

Let's go over your media. For starters, let's take Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception - they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can't be trusted - " Who's making your Memorex tonight ?"

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren't all that suitable as a DVD backup media - that's why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you'll get a "Cyclic Redundancy error" or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won't accept your "cheap" media :-(
    Another problem which, "Pops up" is a "*Power Calibration Error". This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A "Power Calibration Error" can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn't usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04's made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that "Oh no, I shouldn't have gotten those."

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them - what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

Cheers,

Pete

I thought I would mention that pples PC's freeze up when encoding and when burning because of a heat issue. When encoding and when burning your processor is working at 100% and therefore generates a tremondous amount of heat. If the air flow is impeeded or the fan isn't working and the tempature rises the PC, all of the PC will freeze up. When this happens, 95% OF THE TIME, THERE WILL BE NO ERROR MESSAGE. Because of your error message I haven't addressed anything except your media. BUT because you've frozen up during encoding - you should look into the possibility that air vents may be blocked -

Cheers,

10. jomarrod

jomarrod Member

I hate to admit it Pete but you were darn right! All this time I was in denial about the quality of my blank DVD+R's I had (Maxell, Teon, HP). I went to my local store and bought some very expensive HP DVD+RW (the least one could expect is for the expensive stuff to be good). I tried one more time and it worked perfectly!!!!! I had already invested in 80+ DVD+R's that now are useless. One gets what one pays for. I will have to invest in new DVD+R's.

So, do you think that the quality of the DVD+R's is associated with the locking up of the PC during the encoding process?....

Regards!

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jomarrod,

It could be, one can never tell with media -

If someone had me told 2 and 1/2 years ago all the problems poor quality discs could cause I would have laughed - I always thought a disc is a disc -

OR if they said there were different quality discs, I would think, costs more = better.

Was I wrong or what ?

Cost doesn't always equal quality - Go figure, huh ?

I only wish there was some way to convience others, to save them $$$$ and me time from tracking down their problems -

MeritLine and Newegg.com have been having good sales on branded RiData +R's for about $.35ea. to $.36ea. for decent quality, ya can't go wrong -

Keep your eyes open -

Cheers,

Pete

12. jomarrod

jomarrod Member

Will do.
    I appreciate it Pete and thanks for all the good effort you put into this in order to help out people.

Peace!

BTW, do you have aquick-and-easy guide for burning pre-authored DVD video using NEROVISION EXPRESS 6.x ?....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

14. rarthurb

rarthurb Member

I would like to thank Scuba Pete for all the advice he's given to, guys, who like me sit me sit back in the dark corner of this forum and just listen and learn, afraid to speak up and expose our ignorance. So Far no Coasters! using Shrink & Decrypter... Nerovision did make my DVD's drives not act right and I wasn't happy with the quality...It knocked out my "Click to DVD" by Sonic software. Whose quality I am Happy with. I saw in a later post that you said that Nero "did not play well with other programs". If I have any questions I know I have to go no farther than you Pete for the knowledge I seek... Again THANKS!

15. rarthurb

rarthurb Member

I would like to thank Scuba Pete for all the advice he's given to, guys, who like me sit me sit back in the dark corner of this forum and just listen and learn, afraid to speak up and expose our ignorance. So Far no Coasters! using Shrink & Decrypter... Nerovision did make my DVD's drives not act right and I wasn't happy with the quality...It knocked out my "Click to DVD" by Sonic software. Whose quality I am Happy with. I saw in a later post that you said that Nero "did not play well with other programs". If I have any questions I know I have to go no farther than you Pete for the knowledge I seek... Again THANKS!

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there rarthurb, welcome into the "light" (Lol)

Thanks for the kind words -

It's not Nero persay, it's Nero's packet writter. Though Nero is an excellent program we tend to forget the fact that our friendly Nero program can get "Flaky" at times and then needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled.

If you are going to uninstall Nero you must do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.html

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again

You might wish to remove your Sonic packet writing proggy from msconfig's startup window also then everyone will live together in harmony -

And rarthurb, how about staying around a while too - Ya remind me of me - Heh, heh - I "lurked" around for about 3 or 4 months before I posted and about 6 or 8 months before I "joined in" so to speak - It's kind of fun around here and you learn all the time no matter what -

Cheers,

Pete

Remember to come back and tell us how you fared -

17. JumpJimbo

JumpJimbo Member

I'm a New and a bit nervy.

Love you guys. I'm also having the same I/O Error using DVD Decrypter, and guess what? I've just bought about 100 DataSafe G04's made by Ritek :-(

------------------
    Even DataSafe G04's made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media
    ------------------

Have had over 50% failure. Doing some shopping tomorrow for some good DVD-R's, and hope to learn more form you all, so that I stop making coasters.

All the Best and thank you all for all the great info.

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there JumpJimbo, welcome to aD,

Huuummm, That looks like a "ScubaPete" quote -

Well then, let me give you some "tips" that may be of some help in lowering your coaster count (I hope) -

Here's "Uncle" ScubaPete's Last Ditch Suggestions to help you work your way through your "Really Cheap and I wish I hadn't bought this stuff." DVD Discs.

HOT TIPS for your POOR MEDIA:
    1. Here's a good fix. Compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3GB instead of the recommended 4360MB. I.e., Go into DVD Shrink, "Edit", "Preferences" then set the "DVD Target Size" to "Custom" and enter 4300MB as the size. Reducing the amount of Data to be burned it keeps your burning away from the disc's edges where the dye on poor quality DVD discs tends to be uneven and may even be brittle and flaking.

2. You may reduce the number of errors and "artifacts" (the "freezing", "skipping" and other picture abnormalities) when burning poor media by burning at a reduced speed. It will take longer but what the heck, you're saving money with those "Cheap" discs (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" :)

Best of luck with your discs,

Let me know how these tips do for you -

Pete

19. JumpJimbo

JumpJimbo Member

Thanks Pete.

Took your advice. Did 4 using Shrink with Nero with no failures. :)

I will next try : Shrink with DVD Decrypter and report back if I have problems.

Once again, many thanks

Jim

20. sumonostp

sumonostp Member

Hi, everyone.
    I tried to burn my finished DVD-folder, somehow it keeps failing when it reaches 90-something %. I shrunk the DVD-folder to .ISO image file using DVD-shrink and then I used DVD-Decrypter to burn it. I also tried using NERO & ROXIO to burn the .ISO file. It still did not work. The error message in DVD-Decrypter always says "I/O Error!".
    It looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    It works if I just want to burn DATA files onto a DVD. But, if it's movie files (DVD-folder), it doesn't work somehow. It used to work just fine though.
    Can someone pls help me out?