1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious PSP Issues, help needed.

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by FunDuck, Mar 15, 2007.

1. FunDuck

FunDuck Member

I'm not sure if there's a hardware issue but my psp has been really acting up recently... Here's a quick list of issues:

-Home button does not work, the screen brightness button functions as a home button (the 'do you want to quit the game' screen comes up when you press it) and also adjusts the screen brightness (weird I know -_-)
    -Web browser doesn't work at all when you enter it it just boots you back to the XMB...
    -Issues running demos and ISOs in 3.10 oe... metal gear solid wont boot for whatever reason, several demos off of pspfanboy also will not boot
    -files getting corrupted on the mem stick, lots and lots of corrupted saves which is annoying to say the least
    -wifi issues. Randomly disconnected during online play, downloads sometimes will freeze the psp or will fail randomly
    -various other issues.

I've tried many many different firmware versions. 2.71 legit, 1.5, 2.71 se, 3.10 oe, 2.6 legit... all have similar random issues. Does anybody know how to do a complete flash format to rule out any possibility of a software issue?? I'd just like to isolate the issue.

I'm thinking my PSP needs to be junked but if anybody has any opinions or suggestions it'd be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

2. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

flash it to an official version like 2.71 and try with an original umd and see if it happens, maybe its something like faulty memory chips (just random guessing here).

Do you still have a warranty?

3. psphak8o8

psphak8o8 Regular member

just upgrade it to 3.11(sony edition) then send it to sony and tell them that it wasnt like that before u upgraded....does thst help???

4. staxx

staxx Regular member

You might need a new button ribbon(just a guess)...but yeah if you want to rule out the software as an issue try using hexitnows 1.50 recovery and then use his winstaller to reupgrade to custom firmware
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/460892

5. FunDuck

FunDuck Member

Ok I tried hexitnows v1.5 recovery and then 3.10 oe install and I'm getting exactly the same issues... Time to open up my psp I think -_- Will I need any special tools to do it? And is there a guide around somewhere?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  6. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

Can you remember what you did to it, when it was still working?

7. FunDuck

FunDuck Member

I didn't do anything in particular that made it break. I bought the psp off of a friend and it was sketchy to start with and just got progressively worse as time when on until it was pretty much useless.

8. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

How much did you pay for it?

9. Thoatih12

Thoatih12 Regular member

EDIT: already been asked :0

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  10. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

What you mean he double-posted or there's already a thread about this?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  11. Thoatih12

Thoatih12 Regular member

Those where the two same questins i was going to ask him..

12. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

13. pspluvr

pspluvr Regular member

Almost the same thing with me here, except I don't have software issues like the game save corruption or the demo loading, but my WLAN is malfunctioning. The light stays on even when I switch it off; it doesn't flash when it's reading or anything, and it's having trouble connecting with the servers, even though it does fine obtaining the IP address in the WIFI hotspots. I've reset to default settings. It's worked once. Now I'm still having trouble with the WIFI connection, and it takes a crapload of time now to download files when I DO have a connection.

Is my mobo f'ed up? If so, I'll try to trade for another refurb'd one at GameStop.

14. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

EDITTED by ThisDude.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  15. pspluvr

pspluvr Regular member

1. If the connection was WEP, I'd have to enter the key, so I'd never be able to obtain the IP Address, so no, I always search for a connection with no security.

2. My WLAN always turned off whether in sleep mode or completely shut off, even when it was in use. Maybe that's what caused this problem; switching to sleep mode while WLAN was in use. Now the only way to turn it off is to take out the battery ONLY. Even re-inserting the battery five minutes after removing doesn't work either.

3. I mentioned that sometimes I'm able to communicate with the server, but loading up a web page is incredibly slower than it was three weeks ago.

So there it is. Did I mess up the WIFI by switching to sleep mode while the WLAN was in use?

16. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

Sorry, what I said before was not entirely true. (I have to get more sleep and lay down the vodka.)

The answer is: No, very unlikely. As I did it once and it was still fine.

One question was the PSP ever dropped?

17. pspluvr

pspluvr Regular member

A couple of times, but nothing bad happened. That was actually two months before I started experiencing problems.

18. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

What about a family member/ friend? Did they drop your PSP without you realising it?

19. pspluvr

pspluvr Regular member

No. We're usually careful with our high-end electronics.

I still think turning it off while WIFI was in use may have damaged it. Is that a possibility?

20. Thoatih12

Thoatih12 Regular member

Im almost 100% positive that is not the promblem..all that will do is throw you offline..