1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious Utorrent Bandwidth Problems

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by TruthIs1, Jun 16, 2007.

1. TruthIs1

TruthIs1 Member

First off, I'm using Uttorent even though it says it's not connectable I am able to download/upload a file at 50kbps.

With Uttorent off my bandwidth is about 6000kbps down and 400 up.

As soon as uttorent is on downloading and uploading at around 50kbps, my bandwidth becomes 700kbps down and 41kbps up.

The problem is that I have Vonage and this isn't enough for my phone to work properly. Why is Uttorent slowing everything down so much if I'm not downloading that much?

2. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Because you're not limiting your speed.

Imagine bandwidth as a pipe. The diameter of the pipe is your available bandwidth. If stuff is trickling through, there's plenty of space. If stuff is HAMMERING through, pings will drop and connections will fail.

2 recommendations:
    1. Get connectable in uTorrent. Right now it's hammering your bandwidth looking for connections. It won't stop. Seriously, it'll just keep looking to make the available connections = your max connections setting.
    2. Set connection limits when you need to use your phone. It's very easy to do in utorrent, simply put in a lower number or limit your downloading to over-night.

Oh, and 3 (if you're a meganerd)
    Get some fancy new firmware for your router that will enable you to prioritize port traffic to give Vonage primary priority. Easier said than done, and not for the non-tech savvy.