1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriouse Vista oppionins needed on my PC!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by afgunzzz, Mar 22, 2007.

1. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

ok so my mate installed vista on his system and patched it and said his windows update work so it looks like his copy is legit ;)

ok so no i want to use his method....

My pc is a phillips freeline, 3.00ghz, 512mb RAM, ATI Radion 9250 128mb graphics card, intel pentium 4 processor 530 with CPU by phoniex, 160gb HDD 7200 RPM and 16x DVDRW Multi (double layer)

ok now out of my 160gb hdd i currently have only 28gb free becuase all my other stuff is absolutly Vital that it stays on this computer becuase it has soo much important info!

So my question is, can i install this baby without a bad expeirience? also i dont want to loos emy info and i dont want to backup like most ppl say.

Also i have some programs that might now work with vista.... would do u recommend? partion hdd? or upgrade? also if i should partion hdd how do i go about doing this and can i get rid of the partion without loosing info if im not happy? ok thanks!

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Buy a new hard drive. Set the current hard drive as a secondary and install a purchased, legitimate version of Vista to the first (new) one.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  3. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

hmmm so u reckon thats the best option. i dont have no other options? after i set my current hdd to slave, what letter will it become?

4. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  5. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

hmmmm i dont like the external stuff, i like the internal man. i might get an internal one. but once i connect the internal hdd how do i install Vista on it beciase it will be a clean hdd rights so theres no OS installed on it so it will have to boot from the hdd set as slave with the XP OS on it right?

How do i go about installing Vista on the clean hdd? do i choose the letter of the hddd i want to install via the vista intallation wizard? thanks.

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Install the new hard drive, set as Master. Leave the other drive out of the system for now.

Once installation is done...set your older drive as Slave, and put it in the system.

7. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

when u say "install the new drive" do u mean connect up to teh computer or with a CD that it should come with?

8. wabashman

wabashman Active member

i wouldnt put vista on your computer. you do not have enough ram for it. you need at least 1 gig. i would say pick up two sticks of 1 gig so you hvae 2 gigs of ram. this will make vista actually be able to work correctly. just my opinion.

9. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

wtf! u can do that? i have a 2gb USB stick.... will that work?

10. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

Lots of good oppinion, but best choice is to make a back up of all your stuff first, never trust any window installation disk specially if it was a boot disk. was gonna happend if you add a new hard drive and install vista and leave the other drive, you gonna have a dual boot machine it will come to a screen where is gonna ask you to choose what windows you wanna boot to!! Good luck.

11. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Dual booting is an option.....but the headache associated with removing Vista should you choose not to use it...is worse then just taking five minutes to remove and replace the XP drive.

120GB drives for $100? Get ya butt to NewEgg.com...you can get a 320GB Seagate or Western Digital for less then that. Don't pay retail store prices anymore. ( I know, internal vs external...but external drives aren't really necessary here )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144392

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  12. wabashman

wabashman Active member

are you talking about a USB storage stick that you would transfer files onto to take to a different computer to view?? if so that doesnt help you out at all since your computer doesnt use that as RAM. either way DO NOT PUT VISTA onto your computer until you upgrade to AT LEAST 1 gig, i recomend 2 gigs. otherwise vista will NOT run smoothly, if at all. but if you still want to put it on then go ahead, just dont come back complaining when it doesnt work right.

13. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

hmm some very good thought... so i need to buy a new hdd and upgrade my RAM.... is there a tut on how to upgrade RAM?

14. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

No tuts needed.

Just find the ram that your motherboard uses, and just replace it with 2 1GB sticks.

15. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

I think Morph is right 2gh would make your vista machine run much better, i have 1 gh right now and my computer seems to have some delays once in while, speacially if im running any application like limewire or utorrent or any other application on the computer it slow down, so yes 2gh would be more than enought, another thing vista 64 dont bother most programs wont work properly most wont work at all. and the 2 better versions of vista would be Home Premeium or ultimate. diffrence between the 2 ultimate has bitlocker wich is a hard drive encryption feature and it has other features like moving desktop background. and so forth. most pcs will come with vista home premium, unless you request the other one. another neat feature is that if you purchase the home basic, and you want to upgrade to premeium, all u do is pop ur disk and all the versions come already on the dvd, all u need to do is call microsoft and purchase a license key for less than if you were to buy the complete package.

16. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

but i dont no what the PC ram looks like or were it is on my PC...?

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

So you don't upgrade to vista and along the way your HDD crashes with all that IMPORTANT stuff that has to stay on your present hard drive, GONE FOREVER. At the very least get a second HDD and back up the important stuff! It must not really be that important then, if you don't.

18. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Google a program called CPU-Z. Just unzip and run it. It will tell you what kind of memory your system currently using.

Then...I usually use this when finding out the max a system can use:

http://www.crucial.com/index.asp