1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server question for varnull

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by wolfmanz, Dec 11, 2007.

1. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

@varnull aka janrocks from what I can tell of a log in one of your posts. By any chance would you have a suggestion for a Debian based server set-up that is secure and fairly easy to set-up. I have Debian up and running on a P3 machine and have found a few guides on setting up a server, but they seem like overkill for what I need. Any suggestions as you you have far more knowledge in this area than anyone I have come across. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Hi Wolf.. what do you want to do with this server? Just share a few files or build a website on it?

3. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

For starters I want to just set up a file server that I can access on the net or let friends connect to if needed. I would like this to be a secure connection even though it will be set upon a dedicated machine running Debian Etch. For now this will be for testing purposes until I feel safe that I can make it secure. Good to see you back at AD!

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Here you go.. a great learning guide. http://julmis.julmajanne.com/index.php/LAMP+on+Debian

I wouldn't exactly use that open on the net though without some reservations.

You can always let the debian installer disk do the grunt for you, select fileserver and webserver and then configure it.

also I would install tripwire and bastille to harden it. Every user needs a login account, with EXTREMLY secure passwords, or you will be serving pron within hours :lol:

5. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Thanks for the guide varnull, looks like I have my work cut out for me! The pc I was going to use does not have enough memory to run MySQL so I have set it up for my mother in law as a christmas present asher her old Windows pc crapped out. She only uses her pc for games and the internet so I figured a basic Debian set up would be fine. I will have my new Dual Core machine soon and my current machine will become the server.

6. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Thanks for the guide varnull, looks like I have my work cut out for me! The pc I was going to use does not have enough memory to run MySQL so I set it up for my mother in law as a christmas present as her her old Windows pc crapped out. She only uses her pc for games and the internet so I figured a basic Debian set up would be perfect. I will have my new Dual Core machine soon and my current machine will become the server.

Converting one Windows user at a time!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  7. varnull

varnull Guest

My webserver has 256, but I think you can just about squeeze it with 128.

I have a couple of 64 sticks hanging about.. so I could experiment. I have a minimal debian kernal compiled for the hardware that runs at under 6Mb..

Old scrap pentium2 series machines make excellent webservers.. low power requirements, and well.. they are workhorses. Free too :lol:

What's your top end ram-wise?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  8. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

It has 128mb of ram with a p3 processor. Right now I have 2 hard drives installed running seperate Debian installs. My friend at work is donating another p3 machine he has laying around.

9. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

It has 128mb of ram with a p3 processor. Right now I have 2 hard drives installed running seperate Debian installs. My friend at work is donating another p3 machine he has laying around. That's the great thing about Linux even if I do screw up the configuration it only takes a short time to do a fresh re-install. I will get this up and running soon, just been very busy with work and the upcoming holidays.

Speaking of holidays varnull I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year!

10. varnull

varnull Guest

128 on a p3... hmmm.. debian low memory mode.

I use p2 300's myself, but time for an experiment (I have 4 that are heading for the cluster in need of testing)

Now mysql complains about lack of memory on anything less than 256.. surely that isn't right.. not with whatever size swap area you want to make. /me reaches for mysql, apache and php programming manual.. typing finger warmups begin....

11. jeffisgod

jeffisgod Member

How do u make accounts for private servers????//

12. varnull

varnull Guest

addgroup <name of group>

adduser <username> <group>

This will walk you through a set of questions like password and directory permissions, and will make a /home directory for every user.

To give people access to shared directories then you can assign the dirs to the group <users> who will then be able to access it.

13. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

@varnull thanks for your input and the donation of a new machine. I now have my Debian server running!

Still working on security and penetration testing, everything else is going well.