1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Jay05, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Hey, I'm downloading service pack2...I have two computers... the one I"m using is the descriptions below... The one where I"m downloading service pack 2 is a desktop dell and I was wondering whether it's possible to install it on the one I'm using right now... Downloading it through windows update... Just started and didn't want to stop it... so when it's done downloading can I move it to my computer and install it here? I mean there's a network setup (workgroup) between the two comps so file transfer isn't a problem but where do I go to find the program? (service pack 2) Thanx for all your help and time.
    PS : by the way is service pack 2 even worth using?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

been problems reported about sp2 like printers that worked with sp1 not work with sp2

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

just burn it to a disc (just a suggestion) also if your having issues with it you can uninstall it and your computer will resore its self to previous point before the installation.

4. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Um... my problem is that when I"m done downloading from windows update I'm scared that it might just install it and I don't want it to do that on the computer I'm downloading it on so I cancelled at 160MB (163MB is finished) I want to install it on a test-computer(the description one below) so that when I use it and test it out. Where do I find the file when it's done downloading?

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

6. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Okay I've started downloading... thanx!!!!!!!!! :p
    You've been a great help...this and also the cd writer prob and hopefully I"ll get that fixed.... You should be a mod... afterdawn should pick people like you.... well c u around...

7. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I just realized that the size is 255MB... man that's huge... is there anyway to reduce the size? Even though I'm using getright it's going to take along time as I don't use DSL. the one from windows update was 65MB or something in the 60s...

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I think you can order SP2 from Microsoft on a CD, but its not free. You're better off just leaving your computer on overnight and letting it download. I doubt you can reduce the filesize.

9. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

WOW!! thanks man but their are way more people that are far more superior than me that should be a mod.
    Besides, the mod's we have here are killer.

Anyways the file is only 27mb (272391 KB) not 255mb so it shouldn't take that long. but post back and give an update.

10. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

The Serivce Pack to for IT Pro's is 255mb. This is because it includes all the files, whereas windows updates just picks the updates etc that you need on your particular computer.

With the 255mb, u can burn to CD and install on any computer you like.

Actually the Service Pack 2 CD from microsoft IS free, you dont have to pay for it, u fill in the form, and they ship to you for free :)

CJC

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

my bad on that. I just heard that you can request on from Microsoft. I assumed you'd have to pay a fee for it. But thats good to know its free.