1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting a new HD

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by darkarchr, Feb 1, 2007.

1. darkarchr

darkarchr Member

well it looks like my HD is a goner! my xbox was modded when i got it. i do not know what chip was used to mod it, but it is red and has a switch wired to it. im pretty sure it was running evo x, but im not 100% sure. after being dropped i was getting a 07 error, and now i get 09 error and the HD is making a weird noise. i need to install a new HD, but dont exactly know how to setup the new HD to work on my xbox. any tut, or thread that can explain how this works.

2. joho5

joho5 Member

get an installer (slayers or aid 3.1(recommended)

burn the iso with nero or dvddecryptor

and pop it in the box and boot it up. you can install everything from it.

3. darkarchr

darkarchr Member

do i get slayers from #xbins on mIRC or how do i get a hold of it.

4. darkarchr

darkarchr Member

also i am having trouble downloading nero, i had an older version with key but its not in my hands anymore. but maybe still can get it. im going to try and download an older version 6.6.0.8 and see if that will work. anyone have a link for a program to make the iso, if so are they free or do you have to pay? i might have an older version of isobuster, but i dont remember exactly how it works. been so long since i used programs like these, and things are harder to come by these days.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-install-a-new-hdd-and-format-it-using-slayers-2-6-t672.html

then newest version of Slayer (2.7 Final) can be found at torrent sites and possibly even #xbins as well. But that tutorial should at least give you the basics.
    i know isohunt has slayer 2.7 final

other stuff:
    Error7 - kernel - HDD timeout

Most of the times, the IDE cable is not properly connected when you see this error. Please reattach the ide cable. Not only to the harddisk drive but also to the dvd drive. ALso try to reconnect the ide cable to the motherboard.

Press pretty hard so it goes all the way in. Make sure it is seated straight and proper in the drives and the motherboard. If you still have an error 7. Try another ide cable. If that won't work try another harddisk. If there is still no go, try to set the jumpers on the rearside of the harddisk drive. Set it to master or cable select. If still no succes, then your SOL!

Error9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)

Not very common error, please try another harddisk.

and here is a compatibility chart for Xbox
    http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

6. darkarchr

darkarchr Member

thanks for info steimy. i think im going to just buy a new HD and try it from there. but my problem is that i dont have files such as eeprom.bin, my box is modded and can i get that files from the slayers installer?

7. steimy

steimy Active member

to be honest i do not know because i have not tried it.
    I think Slayer use to have a feture to make a back up of your EEPROM files, which could then be FTP'ed to your PC.

When i got mine (duoX2 chip) all i had to do was take out the old hard drive and install the new one, then use Slayer to format it and install all the apps. I followed that tutorial exactly. In fact that tutorial was made by the person i bought my Xbox from just for me.

8. joho5

joho5 Member

id recommend aid 3.1(for your installer over slayers) it has a ton more applications and emulators. the boot disk is very user-friendly as well. just have your chip in, bios flashed, and then put the disc in and boot the machine up...everything after that is self-explanatory on the installer (whether you use slayers or aid)

dvd-decryptor can be found alot of places and its free

its alot less simple of a program of nero, but works great

just burn your iso's and whatever else on a very slow speed

i use 1x write speed to either a dvd-r or cd-rw...really depends on what drive is in your xbox.

9. darkarchr

darkarchr Member

Chip is in, but I am not sure about what bios I need to flash the chip (if it even needs to be flashed). If the chip already had the bios on it will it still be there? Im pretty sure I have a philips drive on my v1.1 so hopefully it takes cd-rw because i dont have a dvd burner. this is the chip I have and was already installed when i recieved the xbox, but not much info can be found on it.
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=574041

10. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

before you even buy another HD, try burning an installation disk and see if you xbox will boot from it. AID doesn't, but I believe Slayer's boots even with a bad or brand new HD. Once you get the CD or DVD to boot, you can try to reformat your "bad" drive to see if it can be salvaged. I had an xbox whose HD was corrupt and after doing a Duox2 GS mod to it, was able to reformat the drive and it is back and working happily ever since.

You don't need to reflash your modchip. If it was working before the HD died, it will still be working.

11. darkarchr

darkarchr Member

will definately try!
    thanks for the great info.
    does anyone know anything about that chip in the link?

12. joho5

joho5 Member

you will have to use slayers because aid only fits on a dvd. do you have the iso file for slayers installer disc? when you boot the box up, what happens?

shoot me an email at matt_hejl@yahoo.com if you have any other questions. it can be frustrating trying to wait for information on the forum.