1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up a router for use with bit-torrent

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by quadical, Oct 27, 2004.

1. quadical

quadical Member

Hey there everybody. I really need some help. Ill stick my hands up and say im a complete novice. I live in a student household we have 4 computers all connected to an oigo wireless 4 port switch. I have read around the subject and apparently i need to setup port forwarding on ports 6881-6889 to increase download speeds as im only getting 5kbps on a 1.5mb connection. I have some questions:

1. How do I do this?
    2. Does this not open up my computer to the authorities and hackers? If so how can i protect myself?

I would really appreciate your help
    Cheers
    Jon.

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

1. Go to your router configuration utility or webpage and go to "Firewall" or "Special Applications". Try to find something about opening ports in there. (E.g. I have a SMC Router, which I'm actually trying to fix at the moment, but my configuration webpage is the ip of my router, and all I have to do is login and change my properties)

2. It's rare as no one would want to hack your machine, and unless you download GBs and GBs of pr0n, the authorities won't take an intrest in you. It's also safer than having all ports open =D

Hope I could help!