1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a wireless home network

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jalathole, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

Hi,
    I have recently got a new desktop computer. My brother also has a laptop, and the main computer has the internet.
    All up there are 3 PCs that are in this house.

The modem connects to the main computer via ethernet. the main computer has two ethernet ports so one of them is taken up by the modem, the other is unused at this point.

My brothers laptop has wireless, as does my new desktop computer. I have got a wirless router and an 8 port switch, as well as about 4 cables.

Is there a way that all three of us can be on the internet at the same time?

Is there also a way that me and my brother can connect even when the main computer is off?

I am willing to buy new parts to create this senario.

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

2. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

what you would wana do is the Ethernet that goes from the modem plug that into the router. then get a 2nd Ethernet cord and plug that from the routers 1st spot to the main desktop. then the other two computers can connect via wireless

3. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

this is what i did:

i plugged the dsl modem into the switch, then i put the wireless router into another port of the switch, then i connected one cable to the main computer, and the other two are supposed to be able to get on,

BUT! only one of the wirless computers could get on, the other had limited connection.
    What now???

4. steimy

steimy Active member

what do you mean by "switch"

Should be a set up like this:
    1. take the cable from the modem to the PC and unplug the PC side, take that and plug it into the routers WAN or internet port.
    2. now take another ethernet cable and plug it into port 1 then from there into your PC where the modem was plugged before.
    3. now go to the connection that you are using and set it for "internet connection sharing"
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/internet-connection-sharing-for-the-xbox-or-other-console-t714.html
    you will only need the first few parts of the guide, the rest is for setting up a console.

4. also if your router has security and is enabled (which it should be unless you want the whole neiborhood using your internet) then make sure you write down all the important information. Like the type of security (WAP,WEP and so on), What they security code is, the mode it used (like TKIP), & the router name (SSID name) like Linksys_SES_4095
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...873380&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    you will need to input that information on the laptops connection settings to connect.

5. read up on Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure modes for your router, I am pretty sure you will use Infrastructure.

5. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

you shouldnt be plugging the modem into the switch.
    plug the modem into the router and then if you need more then the 4 ports that it probally offers plug the switch in to the router and that should work. if you need the desktop to be connected via cable just plug that in from the router you may not even need your switch

6. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

my wireless router only has one port, should i get a new one with four ports?

so that would mean i would plug the modem into the router and then connect that into the one that needs a cord and that would be it? do i need a special one for internet sharing or is it all standard?

7. steimy

steimy Active member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  8. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

ok, i ended up getting the d-link 524, which is working fine for the internet on all our computers in the network.

i can connect and share files with other wireless users but not the users who are connected with a cable into the wireless router, how do i fix this?

i have a shared printer on the computer that is conncected via cable that i need to use.

Thanks.

9. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

d-link makes nice routers good choice, as for the file sharing thing the only thing i can think of is that computer isnt configured right. maybe try configing it again give it a restart and see if it works

10. steimy

steimy Active member

Yeah, in order to have file sharing you need to set up a network on both computers. There is a new site out that may help you with all your networking needs.
    http://www.leafnetworks.net/

you can share files, printer, PC games, soon streaming media and also you can go head to head on game consoles.

11. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

its just i was able to access shared folders when i shared them on the main computer with my old setup, but since i got the new router i can only find the computers that are also on wireless, but not the ones conected with the cat-5 cable into the router, i just thought there was a way to do it without adding extra software.

I just want a LAN is all.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  12. steimy

steimy Active member

the connection wizard should be able to do that.
    you would have to run it on both systems. And it is part of windows so you do not need extra software. Once it is run on both systems they should be able to share files.

13. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

what settings do i pick for my configuration?

14. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

ok with the new network with my dl 524, i have the modem plugged into to router, one computer into the ethernet and two with wireless. i am on the wireless and can access the other wireless, but cannot access the computer's shared files on the ethernet.