1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up home theater sys with a old yamaha receiver and a new hdtv

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by qur, Apr 4, 2007.

1. qur

qur Member

Guys I need your help.I have a old yamaha 1070rx-v rec.I bought a new 62 in mitsubishi hdtv1080p.I do have front speakers polkaudio L70.What would be the best way to go.I like definitive tech for surroud and may be central.The problem is this is an old receiver with no hdmi,would it drive the speakers well,would i be running too many wires,what would be the best way to connect all the components,dvd,vcr,dishnetwork.My budget is limited and i dont want to get a new fancy receiver unless i dont have a choice.please help.

2. david66

david66 Regular member

How much power does the receiver have? also does it have dolby digital 5.1 if not a new 7.1 receiver can be had for less than 200.00 which has 100watts per channel

3. qur

qur Member

it has enough power more than 100watts.no digital dolby.it has dolby prologic surround,digital sound field processing.

4. david66

david66 Regular member

ok you can use it but you will not get true dolby digital sound 5.1 you do not need HDMI as far as driving your speakers it will do it with no problem you should have audio input to connect various components as far as the wires you will need 2 surround speakers so you aretalking4 prs of speaker wires your dvd player does it have a HDMI output?

5. qur

qur Member

thanks for all the info.i mean the all the connections from receiver to tv and all the connections to the receiver from the components.i believe there is no hdmi from dvd.what would be the best way to connect everything and quality of sound compare to some of the newer receivers.

6. david66

david66 Regular member

your componentshould be connected to the video inputs on your receiver if you do not have video inputs on your receiver you will need to invest in a video switcher you can pick one up from parts express.com they are not expensive in your case all you need is one cable to run from receiver or video switcher to your tv