1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up network?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by magus57, Feb 20, 2007.

1. magus57

magus57 Regular member

I have a CAT5 internet cable, a PS2 network adapter, the network startup disc, and DSL internet with a router. However, when I tried setting up the network, and even after trying manual code input (with the right numbers), it always says that it can't connect. What should I do? Are there some ports I should open up?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

never played PS2 online myself. But certain routers i know you have to port forward, but most newer models it is not needed. What ports are needed may depend on the game for that i would contact Sony.
    Does your router have security enabled?
    Are there any firewalls blocking it?
    Networking it can be a lot of things so it will have to be trial and error until you narrow it down and fix it.
    The official Sony Playstation site has some good network set up information as well.

3. magus57

magus57 Regular member

I have firewalls on my computer, but no firewall directly in the connection. Same goes for security. I don't want to get rid of firewall/security or open up too much ports because my dad is very concerned about security for his computer (which has very important information on it).

EDIT: Nevermind, I do have a firewall. What ports should I open then?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  4. magus57

magus57 Regular member

I finally figured it out. I found out that the outlet I was plugging the CAT5 into wasn't connected to anything, it was just "decorational", until my dad actually finished it. Since my dad's computer is in the same room, I just used a CAT5 splitter and now my dad is connected to the internet at the same time my PS2 is connected to the internet. I also opened some ports I saw on a Sony site.