1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Up Wireless

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by crazyaces, Jan 27, 2008.

1. crazyaces

crazyaces Member

Hey people.
    ok im at the end of my tether with my wireless. actually iv overshot the tether and am way off in the distance.

i have a new laptop and wish to use wireless internet on it. its complatable and the wireless is inbuilt (sorry im a bit crud with technical terms but il do my best)

my internet runs from the wall in to a Motorola Modem, from this runs a white USB cable for which we use to access the internet. it jus plugs into the comp/laptop
    my laptop is advent with the craptacular Windows Vista on it.

now i have a Netgear-G Wireless Cable Router WGR614. i set this up as follows

i plug it in
    i attatch an ethernet cable from the modem to the router
    and another from the router to the laptop
    (please not all the connections are right i just dont know the names for each slot)

i run the set up and it goes along nicely it recognises i have a modem, it then recognises i have a DYNAMIC IP Address but then it goes ...."oh i cant do anymore theres a problem please re set up the whole system" i do this exactly to a T for the time peroids it mentions. then i restart and exactly the same happens. after it recognises my DYNAMIC IP address it gives up.

honestly i nearly smashed it to bits the other day. Ive had my laptop sine October and its not even portable as i need it attatched to my modem 247 :(

any help will be like unbelievably gratefully accepted

2. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

Reset your modem. Connect the ethernet cable from your modem directly to your computer. Check and see if you have internet connection. Once you have connection, unplug the wire from the computer and plug it into the wan link on the router. Then use another cable, plug it into the router and computer. Set up your wireless.