1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Severe Movie Skipping Probs

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by DJ_Yuz, Oct 10, 2004.

1. DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz Member

Recently got a DVD Burner, and burned a few things (Nero @ 4x). Unfortunately though, all the cinematics in said burns are extremely skippy and laggy. I was wondering if it was a problem with the laser, but some cinematics on my old CDRips still seem to work fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. jonkytonk

jonkytonk Member

I have them same problem. I spent ages finding a media that worked on my V7 PS2, finally settled with rewriteables and my movies are really jumpy but fine on the PC and on DVD players. It is driving me insane.

3. cdub998

cdub998 Member

Well first off what type of media are you using? What type of chip do you have in the PS2? what version is the ps2? One thing I would try first off is burning slower. Also you could look for dvd decryptor on the web. That program burns ps2 games very well.

4. knapptown

knapptown Member

I've been having problems with backing up Def jam FFNY with choppy audio and skippy cinematics. Another guy I've been working with on this issue emailed me and said he made a perfect copy using Ritek g04 media and dvd decrypter where he was having problems using other stuff.

5. DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz Member

I've got a V7 with Messiah 2, and I'm using CompUSA media cause I'm cheap like that. HOWEVER, it should be noted that all the DVD games others burned for me were on CompUSA media and work flawlessly.

I haven't tried DVD Decryptor yet, and Nero will not let me burn slower than 4x; nor will Alcohol.

6. knapptown

knapptown Member

I've tried DJFFNY numerous times and found that I have the best results when I try to burn at 1x or 2.4x. By that I mean choppy movie scenes/audio that are acceptable since the game plays fine. DVD Decrypter supports these various burn speeds as long as those speeds are compatible with the blank media you are using. I tried using Maxell 4X dvd-r last night but they only support 2x and 4x write speeds so I still selected to write at 1x, but it actually burned at 2x. Those are about a buck fifty apiece and got the same result as one that cost me 50 cent so I guess maybe money isn't everything for backups, either that or my ps2 is a spoiled little b*tch.

7. Ashman1

Ashman1 Regular member

What games are you trying to back up?

8. knapptown

knapptown Member

The only game I've had trouble backing up so far is DJFFNY. Every other back up so far is working like the original but I've gone through at least 10-15 disk with def jam. The loading times and the actual game play are fine but I'm trying to get the movies in story mode to play without skipping and for the audio to match with the video during the movie segments. Not that big a deal but if your going to have make a backup, you'd like to be flawless. I've read the star wars battlefront forum about problems backing up that game using iso builder and dvdgenerator among other things but I don't have any of those programs and was hoping to be able to simply use dvd decrypter and decent media and be able to do it. Any help or suggestions are always appreciated.

9. DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz Member

So far I've tried backing up [bold]THUG 2[/bold] (minor skipping every 10-15 seconds or so), [bold]Katamari Damacy[/bold] (Music sometimes freezes, freezing the game along with it at the next loading screen), and [bold]Naruto Narutimett Hero 2[/bold] (SEVERE skipping, every 1-2 secs).

10. jonkytonk

jonkytonk Member

I have a v7 and have exactly the same problem, people have tried my backups and theirs and work, I have tried theirs on mine and work, but my own dont work on my ps2. Is it possible to have a conflict between your burner and ps2?

11. knapptown

knapptown Member

I think that dvd players and the ps2 have certain media and burn speeds that seem to play better than others. When I first started backing up movies, I used 8x HP media and burned it at 8x only to find my dvd player skipped and froze 3 out of 4 movies made. I switched to 4x Memorex media and started burning movies at 4x and haven't had a problem since. Same thing when I started backing up games. I started using 8x memorex -r media burned at max speed and couldn't get a game to load, then using the same media burned at 1x and every game seems to work. You might just have to find that "happy place" between your burner and whatever your playing it on. I suggest if you're having problems to use various burn speeds at first and then experiment with different brands of media. I would only buy a 3-pack when you're trying them out so you don't end up with 100 frisbees.