1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SEVERE Problems with the Wiikey

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by jnerd, May 31, 2007.

1. jnerd

jnerd Member

Recently I had a Wiikey installed by a not-so-reliable website (as I've learned now). It was working fine at first but now it barely even works. My Wii makes horrible noises, some games don't work, and when I do try to play back-ups it gives me a "disc error" screen until I reset it about 5 times. I tried reformating my Wii but that didn't help at all. Has this happened to anyone else? Would anyone know what to do?

2. N0_0ne

N0_0ne Regular member

If I were you Id crack that thing open and insure that the chip was installed properly and the wires werent exposed or crossing, also I have to ask, what kind of dvd-r are you using? and what speed are you burning at, I suggest using verbatim dvd-r and burning at like 2X

3. jnerd

jnerd Member

I use Sony DVD+R at about 12x.

4. N0_0ne

N0_0ne Regular member

that could be why , go grab a verbatim and burn it at 2X using either nero or imgburn, if the problem persist then its either your chip or maching, hope this helps,

5. jnerd

jnerd Member

Would you suggest that I get a different chip installed in it? How does the Wiid compare to the Wiikey?

6. N0_0ne

N0_0ne Regular member

I suggest possiby reinstalling your wiikey if after trying what I said earlier doesnt work for you (cause that could very well be your problem) whoever installed it might have made some half assed connections, but I wouldnt suggest getting another chip personally, I have the wiikey and have installed it for about 4 buddies and not one of us has had a problem

7. N0_0ne

N0_0ne Regular member

I should ask, where did you buy your wiikey from? it could possibly be a clone, Im not sure how to identify a clone but you could probably find a thread on this site they may be able to help you with that, but I would first try verbatims and burn at 2X

8. jnerd

jnerd Member

I got it from this site:

http://www.modchipman.com

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to wiring so everytime I've had one installed I paid for it.

9. N0_0ne

N0_0ne Regular member

you know what man, I was once ignorant too, about a year ago, I bought a ps2 then bought a chip, and was going to get my buddy to install it, but what I didnt know was he had stopped chiping ps2s cause he claimed they were too difficult to do, so I had to bite the bullet, I installed it, I had to solder like 10 or more wires but I got lucky and it worked, since then ive put chips in just about anything with 100% success, oh and by the way that was my first time soldering too, so if I can do that , you can surely put a chip in the wii , its one of the easiest things to mod, if you're interested I can send you links on how to take it apart and all that, let me know

10. docjiggle

docjiggle Member

Great, I just dropped my wii off to have them install a Wiikey. Fantastic.

11. jnerd

jnerd Member

Good luck. It took me about an entire month to even get mine back and it came back in crappy packaging :\

12. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

N0_one posts those links plz

13. Menion

Menion Regular member

You know I always thought the Modchipman was supposed to be reliable, interesting - Though the point made in this you stated that The drive was acting weird and not reading the discs, definitly try burning at a MUCH lower speed but also it may not be the chip, It may be the DVD drive itself getting messed up after the install. I did see some very simalar issues like you were explaining on a wii mod that went bad and after removing the chip and checking all points to make sure there was nothing crossing It still had the problem. Try getting ahold of the guy you had it done from and see what he says about it.

14. N0_0ne

N0_0ne Regular member

ok, this is the site I used to take my wii apart, of course you need the tri wing screw driver which you can purchase from any modding site or even ebay (probably cheaper on ebay)
    http:/www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=677908&rl=1

as for installing the chip I just use the homepage for wiikey which is
    www.wiikey.cn

just use the supplies that came with your chip and a 20watt soldering iron , I personally connect all the wires to the board first then connect them one by one to the chip, the points on the board need a little extra solder and the chip does as well, thats the first thing I do is use that small piece of solder and solder up all my point, but dont add to much to the points on the board, good luck and pm me if you have any questions

15. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

thanks i have all the materials but i have to wait until after my exams!

16. taoput

taoput Guest

try to burn it at slow speed (4X). I found that using Nero to burn it is more reliable than the other tools I used. If this won't fix, open it up and make sure that all the wired from your wiikey didn't cross each other (you can make sure this doesn't happen by using electrical tape to tape over it if it hasn't been taped yet). Open the wii isn't that hard just make sure you record what you did step by step. For example, when u open one side of your wii, do put all the stuff in one back. And then, if u open another side, then put all the stuff in another back, so on. So, you won't confuse which go to which.

17. chibidono

chibidono Member

Its a bit late I know but I just saw this...

I just visited the modchipman site and Firefox gave me about 5 warnings about how the certificate expired and stuff...so yeah, is there any good sites I can get an authentic Wii Key?