1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shaky picture when connecting my philips hdtv via dvi to my geforce 5200

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by h0gg1e, Dec 20, 2004.

1. h0gg1e

h0gg1e Member

I'm not 100% sure on the termonology to use but, I have a geforce 5200 that connects via dvi to my philips 55" hdtv using 1080i display. The problem is that my picture on the tv is shaky. I have the resolution set to 1920 X 1080 with the refreh set at 60mhz.

If I drop the resolution down to 800X600 everything is clear but I can only see 1/4 the desktop.

Another problem regardless of the resolution used is, the output looks really bad, horrible colors and unreadable text.

What can I do via settings or connectors ... any help at all is greatly appreciated, because I'm lost on all of this.

thanks

2. bajtra

bajtra Member

I assume your tv is widescreen? Have you tried 1280x720 or 853x480.

I have the same card but my sony hdtv is 4:3 and when it detects a hidef mode it automatically letterboxes the tv which I didn't care for with my pc desktop. So I switched back to 800x600 through my s-video cable.

Make sure you download the latest nvidia drivers from your card manufacturer.

3. h0gg1e

h0gg1e Member

it is a widescreen. I've tried all the other video modes (1280 x 720 and 853 x 480) but my tv only supports 480p and 1080i (800 X 600 and 1920 X 1800 respectivley)

I tried the 800 x 600 and the windows desktop wallpaper picture (half life 2 art work) shows up fine, but whenever I bring a window over it's green tinted and really horrible picture, all the while my desktop background is still fine ?!?

I'm not going to use this as a "monitor" just mainly want to set it up so I can watch video from my computer, and maybe play some half life 2.

thanks

4. bajtra

bajtra Member

Try powerstrip. It can be tricky to set up but there are several how to guides around for it. It'll allow you to set custom resolutions, and reduce your overscan that your going to get at the higher resolutions. I haven't seen the green tint issue, it may be you have some conflicting codecs. Does it happen when playing all video, mpeg2 or DVD or divx?

5. tacotaco

tacotaco Member

I'm having the exact same problem with a GeForce Ti 4600 and a Samsung HDTV.

At low res, it works but looks like crap. At high res it's really shaky.

6. bajtra

bajtra Member

Make sure your tv input is set to the right settings, ie 1080i or 720p depending on which you're using. This can cause the symptom you're describing. This is a manual setting in the setup menu on some tv's.

7. iamzorro

iamzorro Guest

i'm having the same problem as the other 2 guys, except i have the samsung 30" tx-p3064w and am using dvi to connect to a geforce ti4400. i've been at this for at least 10 man hours without any progress. i've tried powerstrip, but can't shake the shakiness. please, please i'm desperate, could someone suggest something that i could try out?

8. raygod

raygod Guest

Perhaps someone you can help me with a problem that I am having.

I currently have a philips widescreen (16:9) television, the model shown at the below address. (Philips 30PW9819/17).

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dmart/ph3030diwihd.html

The above url shows the exact tv. Anyhow, it does support DVI input on AV3 channel if you know what I mean when I say AV3 (i hope so lol).

So far, if I connect the tv using a DVI cable to my PC, I can only display 800x600 resolution and a few others below that resolution. The problem is that whenever I increase the resolution beyond 800x600 resolution, the picture becomes shaking real fast.

The DVI cable that i'm using has a minus sign (-) at the end of the plug. I've read many articles about this, perhaps I need the other cable that use the plus sign (+) at the end of the DVI cable. Anyhow, I did notice that both my video card and TV do have a the plus sign + at the end of their plugs, so perhaps I am using the wrong cable. I think I will post here anyhow as you can see :).

The screen looks like that of a CRT monitor when you increase the screen resolution higher than what the monitor supports. you know, when it looks shaky and is sometimes flipping real fast vertically. I dont want to break my nice new tv so I'm not going to try unless someone who really knows what they are talking about helps me. Now the manual does say it can do 1080i. I'm not sure if that means 1024x768 on my pc or not either.

I've watched a movie on it so far and it doesn't give off 1080i as my xbox does though. I use the component and a game called 'enter the matrix' which supports 1080i and it can be clearly diferentiated from non-1080i picture. I see much improvement in resolution when i play this game over any other of my xbox games using component. I want to work my pc on my tv now, please help anyone.

9. rwolf1813

rwolf1813 Member

I Have The SAME Philips TV What DVI Cable DO I Need.