1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing Files with a single user

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Telbone, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Telbone

Telbone Member

Hello guys,

I've learned quite a bit from this site, though this will be my first post.

I usually don't post often, here or any other site, any problems I've not been able to solve with the guides I can usually find the answers in the forums with a a bit of reading.

I do have one questions however. A friend and I both have children the same age and we both take quite a bit of video. I've learned to convert my video to DivX and have taught my friend to do so, but so far we burn them do cd's and send them to each other through regular mail. A week or so ago I made a private room in irc and sent him some video, but this took forever and really slowed down my computer, to the point it was useless until the videos were done transferring. The videos were not long and took over 24hrs to xfer so this is obviously not a good solution.

What'd I'd really like to do is set up a direct connection with one user (my buddy) and be able to do direct transfers. Not only would this save on postage, but time as well. If this isn't possible, then I was wondering what might be the best way to share files with him.

We both have high speed connections, and I do understand routing may be a problem, I was just hoping for some guidance from someone who has done this before. If it's not really feasible we could just keep doing as we've done, but I work odd hours and find it a real inconvenience using the post office.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Telbone

2. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Have you tried setting up 'Netmeeting'. This way you can have a direct link to your friends pc to tranfer any files one on one. I couldn't tell you what the upload rate would be but as your both on high speed it should be ok.

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Sign-up with ICQ and you two will have a way to exchange files at the speed your connection allows you . There is a Share folder option in ICQ whereby , your friend can be away and you can still send to his share folder.

ICQ is a nice way to exchange with friends -- !

4. Telbone

Telbone Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick input...

I'll be brief as I'm on my way to work.

Netmeeting I've not tried, I'll look into it.

ICQ we did try quite a while back and we never could get the programs to work together properly. I gave up on this as an option as my friend is not very "computer savvy" if you will. I usually have to walk him through everything, and while I don't quite remember the details, I needed more help from his end than he could give.. I also know others who've had problems file sharing with ICQ.

However, it's been long enough that I'll download it and work on it from my end and try to get it going as an option as well. It won't hurt to give it a shot.

Thanks again,
    Mark

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

ICQ has evolved like everything else !! Smiles~~

I have a good bunch of friends that are on it and none are having the problems that used to plague this type of communications a few years back ! --

Just get a number -- contact your friend on it and activate the share folder for him . He will have access to download or upload to you to his heart content .. ! Permissions can be tailored to each one of your contacts on ICQ now.. It is not a general Ok for all to look at your share folder !!

6. Telbone

Telbone Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input... I downloaded ICQ and am gonna give it a try, but it's gonna be a few days before I can really give it a test as my buddy lives in New Orleans and they have a lot bigger problems right now than file xfering...

Thanks again,
    Telbone