1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing Media Problem

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by amitguru, May 25, 2007.

1. amitguru

amitguru Guest

Hey Guys,
    I am getting the 360 next month and I wanted to stream media from my PC to my 360 through an Ethernet cable, now I know you have to do this by conecting the Ethernet wire from the 360 to the PC and sharing but my setup is different. I have a main DSL line which connects to the back of my Netgear DG834G Wireless Router which has 4 Ethernet ports. I have one port occupied for my PC through an RJ45 cable, now my PC has only one Ethernet port so is there I a way through which I can share media to my 360 through one of the Ethernet ports on the back of my router?

Thanks...

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah, it works the same.

3. amitguru

amitguru Guest

So after I have both PC and 360 connected to 2 ports on the back of my router, how do I get one to recognize the other?

Thanks...

4. amitguru

amitguru Guest

Anyone?

5. MikePad89

MikePad89 Member

First you need either WMC (Windows Media Connect) or WMP11 to share media from PC to XBOX. Note that if you have WMP11 on your PC, you do not need WMC. I strongly recommend you use WMP11 because it is more effecient at sharing than WMC.

After you have connected your computer and 360 to the router, you then need to make sure that the 360 can connect to xbox live by running the test in the network option on the system dashboard.

Afterwards open WMP11 on your PC and select the tools menu, then options. Go to the libary tab and select Configure Sharing (the first button). Check the Share My Media box, then click OK.

You should now have a window with all the devices that can stream and receive media on your network, e.g. your 360 (if it is not there then check your network settings on the 360). There should be a warning sign next to it at first, click on the 360 and select allow, this will now allow your PC to stream media to your 360.

If you need to you can select what types of media can be shared, select the settings button and choose what kind of media you want to be shared. More importantly you can name the connection here as well, I named mine as Shared Media but its up to you what you call it.

Finally on your 360 go to the media dashboard and select either music pictures or video, then select the computer. A mesaage appears, select yes then you should be displayed with the media. Note that the only type of videos you can watch have to be in .WMV format because WMP11 does not stream other types.

Hope that helps