1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shark tale

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Amberly, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Amberly

Amberly Member

I ran shark tale through shrink and then I did the custom ratio to everything, i even added still images to the stupid extras to make it smaller. I've gone through everything to make it smaller but i am still 5
    Bs too big. (4469MB)Any ideas or suggestions to make it fit with out using a dvd-9 or reauthoring and removing the menu? or will i have to reauthor it?

2. Amberly

Amberly Member

That's supposed to 5MBs, not 5 Bs

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Why don't you reauthor and rip the movie by itself? I did it almost 2 weeks ago without any compression. Make sure you back up the biggist file(main title), it contains the movie in its entirity.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I still imaged the whole Extra folder and took out all the subpictures and it compressed for me. the only problem I saw which really isnt a problem is when you start the DVD the previews before the movie are gone and the still image picture is there but all you have to do is hit the DVD menu button and it will go right to the menu's that are working.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Amberly
    DVD Shrink is a transcoder. At the level you have the files already trimmed down to (4469MB), the small amount of compression would make no difference. By the way, if you haven't tampered with the default settings, that should burn without compression, as it is less than the 4.37GB capacity of a DVD5 disc.

If you used analysis and the quality settings, you could leave in a bunch of extras and still have a good video. The purpose of a transcoder, after all, is to shrink the larger files down to fit the smaller media. Shrink does a good job until you start getting around 60-65% compression.

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Just wanted to let you know brobear if you havent done shark tales, when you bring the DVD in even at the most compression the DVD is to big to fit on a DVD5. I brought it in DVDShrink and Nero Recode 2 and both wouldnt do a true backup of all extras and menus and movie. Thats why I still imaged the Extra folder and it still barley fit. Even tho i used Nero Recode 2 to do this. I duno what results they would get doing it in DVDShrink.

7. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

Dvd shrink and anydvd always fit's movies full w/ extra's for me havent had a problem w/ anymovies sense Resident Evil A back in the day :-D

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@jayquik03

Backup Shark Tales it wont fit on a DVD5 unless you still image extra's or re-author. I have done hundreds of DVDs and most will compress on a DVD5 with all the extra's but a few hasent. and Shark Tales is 1 of them.

9. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

i backed up shark tale in its entirety, bonus features and all, using decrypter and shrink without any problems and the quality loss isn't that noticeable, not to me at least.

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

you must have had a magic wand if you did.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

larrylje
    Doesn't take a magic wand, just a good encoder. How large in Gigabytes is the DVD Shark Tales (haven't bought that one yet)? Shrink with Analysis and the quality settings in use can do some decent work at compression levels around 60%. I use DVDCopy3 which does a better job. I can get a decent video recording the full disc up to about 7.5 to 8GB. As long as the quality scale doesn't go below Fair (2), the program encodes a good video and that is viewing it on a 60 inch screen. DVDCopy3 has a free full function trial, definitely worth checking out. http://www.intervideo.com

And for those really large jobs, I use Rebuilder with Cinema Craft Encoder (RB/CCE). That's the "magic wand" they've been talking about on the different forums. It's a bit slow, but you can put a blockbuster size DVD on a DVD5 with no noticable loss in quality.

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

brobear I duno the size cause I backup up shark tales for my friend but bringing it into both Shrink and Recode 2 the compression was around 50% already and still was to big for a DVD5 disc. I have backed up over 400 DVDs and im telling you most will shrink to a DVD5 but some has not and shark tales is 1 of them. Had to still image Extras to allow me to back it up with working menu's.

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I used AnyDVD and DVD Dhrink and did the entire movie this way:

Custom compression on everything other then the Main Movie and unchecked all audio, leaving only ALL english versions, 5.1, etc. No stills anywhere and have a flawless copy. And yes, I watched the entire movie.

Hope that helps.

And one better, I burned it at 16X, just had to try it once for kicks, just to see how my burner would handle it, and no pixilation, skips, burps, etc., flawless.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  14. Amberly

Amberly Member

i tried doing the back up after removing all other languages and doing still images in the extras, to make it small enough to fit, only was able to get it to 4469MB...so i thought that i should try baacking it up at that size...but it was blocky and green screens...i noticed in another post where someone had the same prob with shark tale being blocky and having green screens, but i don't remember which post that was. Not sure what do about the problem. going to try reauthoring if i can get the analysis done, but currently am having problems running analysis with shrink...might just give up on doing a back up for this movie...sigh... anyone have any fool proof advice on how to fix my problems?

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Amberly

I'm sure you read my post above yours. Have you tried AnyDVD with DVD Shrink? I did not try it by Shrink alone, nor did I try it with DVD Decrypter so I cannot speak on those combinations. But I do know that, and maybe I was one of the lucky ones, it ripped and burned fine for me. I'll include a gif of the TS folder showing the files that ripped and burned. Maybe Brobear has an answer why mine worked and others didn’t.

[​IMG]

16. Amberly

Amberly Member

Yeah i have any dvd and tried it with shark tale. but it won't work. i get an error message after opening the disc:
    DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Failed to read file "E\:"
    Invalid access to memory location.

I even tried putting the dvd into my other drive "F:\". got the same message with that drive. Any ideas what's wrong?

17. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

I dont care what anyone says... DVD Shrink and Any dvd will let you backup full dvd loosing some quality that's the point of it but not enough quality to tell.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Amberly

Your first post suggests that you could read the DVD and did a rip and burn but the results were bad. Now are you saying that your drives are not reading the DVD? Is this correct? Maybe it is the Movie itself.

19. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

If DVD Shrink won't compress enough to fit onto the disc, just run it through Shrink twice. The first time shrink it by 25%, then on the second run bring it down the last 26-27%, easy...

20. Amberly

Amberly Member

yeah, I'm not really sure if it's the movie itself or whatever is going on. I'm just gonna give up on it for now. Too much frustration from one movie. maybe i'll try again later. thanks for all the help though