1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shark tale

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Amberly, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

now that i'm thinking about it did you say 5mbytes to big i've had some movies do this to me where it's just a lil to big to fit. use anydvd and dont use custom ratio's use auto.. try it when you get a chance oh and I wasnt trying to be rude to anyone about the dvd

2. sunup

sunup Regular member

DSYF3R I have been burning for a few months now and I dont understand how to shrink 2 times could you explain in more detail on how to do that?

3. fafasi

fafasi Member

amberly here is one, why don't you just run dvdshrink,and when it's done and if you are not spanish or french just remove either audio. it well fit just fine with all the extras.and the quality will be fine.

4. stoney316

stoney316 Member

ALL I USE IS DVD DECRYPTER TO RIP THEN DVD2ONE SET AT 4430 TO RE-ENCODE AND EITHER STOMP RECORDNOW MAX OR NERO (OLDER VERSION) AND I RIPPED AND BURNT SHARK TALE NO PROBS ALL FITTED NICELY

5. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

ok, to run through DVD Shrink twice: first do as normal > "open disc" etc, then once done > "open files" browse to ripped location, it should then re-analyse and you can compress further, just remember to store to a new location.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Using DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 to back up Shark Tale is no more difficult than any other DVD. The file size is only 7.56GB for the entire disc, nothing overly large. Initial compression of the Main Movie is 52.7%. If one only wants to back up the Main Movie with a functional menu, select the Extras and under Compression Settings select Still Image. If you don't need the French and Spanish audio, uncheck 3 and 4 under Audio. Under Subpicture uncheck the French and Spanish; 2, 3, 5, and 6. That leaves the compression for the Main Movie at 85.3%. That means the movie is only being compressed 14.7%. The level is so low, you don't need the deep analysis and quality settings that are so time consuming.

There is nothing unusual about the DVD structure of Shark Tale. There is no structural encryption, no unreadable sectors. So, DVD Shrink will rip and encode Shark Tale without the aid of any other software. All you have to do is have a burner. For those wanting to do it on the cheap, there is the freeware DVD Decrypter that burns ISO. CopyToDVD and Nero are also supported to burn automatically.

I just purchased Shark Tale for the kids, so I used Shrink to do a full backup, extras and all. All I deleted was the French and Spanish from the audio and subpicture. That left the Main Movie compression at 57.1%. Compressing the DVD files 32.9% calls for deep analysis and using the quality settings due to the higher compression. I backed up directly from the disc like many do with DVD Shrink. Deep Analysis took over 20 minutes and encoding over 2 hours. The entire backup process runs about 2.5 to 3 hours. (With times like that, I would normally use Rebuilder with Cinema Craft Encoder; the better way to encode a movie by the way.)

I set Shrink to create a HDD file and burn with CopyToDVD. This burner part is optional, but I wanted the HDD files in case something went wrong and I wanted to check it. I let the CopyToDVD burn to a well used Philips +RW disc. My Philips player plays RW so no problem for viewing on the entertainment system (older players don't play RW). Guess what, even using the old RW, the video and sound was excellent on my 60 inch TV.

As I said, this isn't normally the way I back up a movie of this size. I used DVDCopy3 with DVD Decrypter ripped files and backed up the entire disc before experimenting with Shrink. I did no editing at all with the DVDCopy3. The video and audio are excellent on my 60 inch TV and all the extras are there. A plus for DVDCopy3 is that it is also very fast. The entire backup can be done in less than an hour. DVDCopy3 can use AnyDVD and burn on the fly or use Decrypter files from the HDD. DVDCopy3 encodes and burns; so a burner app isn't needed. So, my choice for doing a backup of Shark Tale goes to DVDCopy3 from InterVideo, http://www.intervideo.com .

@Amberly
    It appears the problem lies somewhere in what you're doing. When used properly, DVD Shrink does a good job of backing up Shark Tale. Good guides for the app at http://www.dvdshrink.info and comprehensive guides at http://www.doom9.org . If you need to check out the source disc, try DVDInfoPro, http://www.dvdinfopro.com .

7. brobear

brobear Guest

I don't see why any decent transcoding program wouldn't backup Shark Tale. There is nothing difficult about the DVD, size or structure.

8. Amberly

Amberly Member

I'm not doing anything wrong. I've done everything that everyone has suggested. still does not work. Just because i'm new to this does not mean that I don't know how to follow directions from other more experienced users. It's probably my POS computer, but not something I've done wrong, so please don't assume that I'm stupid or something.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

ScubaBud
    Obviously you got a good rip and used your software properly. I love those short simple answers. LOL

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Amberley
    Then you have a working computer and software setup and you did the backup correctly and there is no problem.
    My statement was very broad and your need to defend yourself is just in your own mind. I was saying the problem lies somewhere in what you're doing; whether it is using a faulty PC, software setup, or the methods you're using. If you insist you don't need to review your methods, then others can still benefit from the links I supplied.

You're doing something wrong if you're using a PC you know is a POS. Either fix it or buy a new one. Complaining on a forum doesn't do any good. It would be a good idea to get away from the paranoia. No one questioned your intelligence, other than yourself. People were trying to help you, and frankly, it is only your problem if you did or didn't do something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2005
  11. Amberly

Amberly Member

I wasn't complaining in the forum. I came for help. For some reason i can't explain i can't get a copy of shark tale done. You (BROBEAR) were a condenscending prick ands need to give advice nicely or don't give it all. Just because I'm new to this doesn't mean you need get all high and mighty. Sometimes things don't work, no explaination can fix it.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Amberley
    Being an asinine boor will win you no awards nor make you look the least bit less foolish than you're acting. You've shown yourself to be both unappreciative and obnoxious. You seem to think the world revolves around you. You're no more than a piece of crap in your own cesspool of existence.

Most of the time I am civil, if not nice. I was being nice by taking the time to do a task I normally do the easy way with another software app.

If you want to act like a juvenile delinquent by taking things personally, go ahead. My analysis of doing a backup of Shark Tale with various software is matter of fact and shows the manner in which it can be done successfully. I was pointing out there is nothing unusual about it. You asked for help and when it's pointed out it is something in your setup, whatever it is; you think someone is being condescending. If you persist in being a paranoid, asinine boor, no one will give a crap about helping you. I regret I even took the time as far as you're concerned. At least the posts may help someone else out. In other words, no problem with Shark Tale other than a piece of crap with a POS computer. You deserve what you have.

13. atapp21

atapp21 Member

Amberly, I just backed up Shark tale using DVD shrink and thats all. The only problem I had was that on the trailer the timing of the audio is off.

14. Amberly

Amberly Member

you know what brobear, I really don't care. You're a condescending prick. Everyone else was nice to me, and they didn't try to make me feel stupid or inferior. But you, well you just aren't nice. Just because the programs were not doing something right, does not mean it was my fault. Maybe it was your fault in telling me the wrong thing to do. Or maybe the programs just didn't want to cooperate. who knows, who cares. Next time I have a question, do me a favor and don't post. I don't want your help anymore, especially if you're going to be that way!

Atapp21: thanks for the insight. I'm still having problems, but I've given up for now. I'll try again in a couple of weeks when i've got a few hours to kill.

15. ODMENT

ODMENT Member

Brobear Helps this forum Great And he Rocks.... Go BROBEAR....

16. ODMENT

ODMENT Member

Oh By the way Bor Bear is not a concending Prick he is a Intellengent Prick

17. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Brobear I agree with your comments and I am sure others are appreciative of your advice I know I am, I have learned much. At least enough to use Shrink and make to perfect backups of Shark Tale for my 4 year old grandaughter and had no problems they look great. Keep advice coming

18. poeman

poeman Member

Amberly, do not feel alone. I am having the EXACT same problem you are and have tried several different rippers and burners.. to no avail. I have been a computer consultant for years... I am not a newbie. I believe the copy of Shark Tales we have is different from the members who were successful with their copies. I am busy at the moment but plan to get back this copy this evening. I will let you know...

Poeman

19. Amberly

Amberly Member

Thanks Poeman. It's nice to know I'm not the only one having issues.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Amberly
    You've shown your colors and everyone sees you for what you are. I could care less about how you feel following your poor behavior. I don't think a person has to act like your "momma" to be helpful. My statements weren't condescending except when pointing directly to your behavior. You're just a rude individual who wants to try to make his presence known. You don't own the forum and I'll post when I see fit. As you appear not to realize, false assertions lead new members into trouble. That's why much of what I stated about Shark Tale and DVD Shrink should be obvious. I regret simple truths are an assault on your intelligence.

As far as doing something wrong; be realistic, if you were doing everything right, you wouldn't have needed to bring your problem to the forum. You wouldn't have a problem. So, try to make sense instead of being an asinine, argumentative, boorish prick.

@Poeman

If your disc is the problem, it would be more likely from a bad press than anything done differently in recording. If it is an original, the store should replace it if bad. The freeware app DVDInfoPro can be used to test the media for errors. Where did the DVD you have come from? The companies don't normally do just a few special encryptions and then do all the others differently just to confound a few people. The encryption is used to make the discs unreadable on recording software and doesn't affect the video quality, such as causing green screens or pixelation. Shark Tale (as most of us have purchased it) has one of the simplest encryptions on the market. The trial version of AnyDVD will tell you what encryption is being used on the info page. That page may have to be selected in the settings.

Something a lot of people may not know, the last version of DVD Shrink went through extensive beta testing to ensure it worked properly. There were nearly 30 versions before the finalized one the public received. It is probably one of the soundest programs available and has a long record of dependability through the successive versions. The author of the program is now working for Ahead, the company that brings us Nero. I would suspect most recording problems to be elsewhere.

Since there are a number of trial programs available, if you think the problem lies with DVD Shrink, try one of the other programs. http://www.intervideo.com this link will allow you to download one of the better recording apps on the market, DVDCopy3. All you have to do is load a ripped DVD to it. AnyDVD from Slysoft is a good app to use, read the product description on the website. http://www.slysoft.com DVDCopy3 from InterVideo will also use files ripped with DVD Decrypter. Also at the Slysoft site is CloneDVD2 which can be used as a full function trial. So, look over the trials and give those a spin. If you get a good recording from those, then we can assume there is a problem with DVD Shrink. It's a common practice to use another app to try a recording to see if the problem is isolated to a particular program.

If the problem is with DVD Shrink and you need help, I'm sure the forum members will be glad to help. By the way, I won't be condescending if I offer help. Only some people suffering from inferiority complexes seem to think so.