1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shark tale

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Amberly, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

For those of you that think that because a DVD is new it can't be the problem I suggest you read this post I wrote around the beginning of the month. I posted it just as a reminder that not all new DVDs are error free. This may be some of the problem listed in this thread.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/157797

Now on the other subject, I have read this thread from the beginning and see nothing to justify the attack on Brobear. Like everyone on here we all just try to help. We are in many cases trying to guess about a fix and do not have access to others computers. That was a completely uncalled for remark. Brobrear doesn't need any help defending himself but I really get burned up when I read these kind of remarks about anyone when they are just trying to help someone. If you don't want our help then don't ask of it on this forum. We can only suggest certain things to try and in some cases may seem too simple to be the problem, but we don't know the amount of knowledge the person on the other end has concerning computers. Enough said.

Jerry

2. Amberly

Amberly Member

ok, so poeman and i are having THE SAME PROBLEMS. But I'm accused of not doing everything right. but poeman's told that he has a bad disc. I don't get it. can someone explain to me why it is i'm told i'm doing it all wrong, but poeman is told he probably has a bad disc?

3. poeman

poeman Member

Problem solved.... Well, I have a successful backup anyway. I used Anydvd and still received a 'copyright protection failure', a copy of which I will forward in a later post. However, after the third attempt, using Anydvd with Shrink, I was able to complete a successful pass for a backup. One notable change, however, was the DMA setting. I changed the DMA setting to no DMA. The backup process was quite slow, but was successful. I am not sure if I had the no DMA setting in effect on the previous 2 attempts or only on the successful one. I know, I know, one should only change one thing at a time etc., but I was in a hurry... Bottom line, successful backup using the same shark tales dvd, and using Anydvd, Shrinkit, no DMA, and Nero to burn. I will try another backup using the exact same setting but with DMA active at a later date. If I have another failure then it is either my driver OR a defective disk that, because of its defect(s), can only be read with DMA off....

Later

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Amberly
    Simple answer to that one. You started your attack before I had a chance to bring it up. As you noticed with Poeman, I stated the possibility of a bad disc and even pointed out a program that is good for checking DVDs. In other words, you sidetracked the help thread with your attack.

I'm glad Jerry emphasized the point about new discs; just because a disc is new doesn't mean it is good and just because it plays on a standalone player doesn't mean it will record on a PC or even play in some cases. When a problem with the video shows up, a person should check the source. With the files ripped with DVD Decrypter, one can check the video files they've ripped by viewing with a player. Most recording suites have a player or one can use a trial. WinDVD6 is available from InterVideo. That will tell you if the files you have ripped are in good enough condition that you want to record permanently to disc. Also testing with DVDInfoPro will indicate if there are problems with bad sectors.

Since the problems are similar, that post is there to help you as well as Poeman. Also, if you are using a bad source, that means you've done something wrong. By the way, having something go wrong isn't always your fault. Being willing to go over the steps, even if you feel you've done everything right is part of the analysis that usually leads to a solution. You know what you've done, we don't. It isn't calling you ignorant or putting you down, but something has to be wrong somewhere or there wouldn't be a problem.

Some questions that come to mind at this point;
    is the recording problem limited to just the DVD Shark Tale?
    Have you tried a different DVD recording to see if you have better success?
    Also, have you checked the source disk (Shark Tale DVD)for errors?
    How does the DVD play in a standalone player?
    Did you rip the files with DVD Decrypter and view them on the PC?
    Have you tried recording Shark Tale with another transcoding app?
    Trials for DVDCopy3, http://www.intervideo.com , and ClonedDVD2, http://www.slysoft.com , are readily available for the test. These programs both use the ripped files from DVD Decrypter and use AnyDVD from Slysoft, another good trial.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2005
  5. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Nicely said 'Brobear' seems the kiddies are trying to take over the 'sweet shop'.

Over the week-end I found it quite amusing some (senior members one an alledged addict) lol didn't know how to use the re-cycle program.
    (bin)

keep up the good work Bro'

gringle

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Poeman
    It would be interesting to know what the problem was for sure. If you're back in DMA and the DVD Shrink is working properly with other DVDs, then you are probably right about a faulty version of the Shark Tale DVD. In that case, there wouldn't be many possibilities left. It would be interesting also to see how one of the other transcoding programs handled that particular disk.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks Gringle. I took the weekend off. They've been having so much server trouble on AD, I stayed out of the peak traffic. Seems I missed some of the entertainment. LOL

Later.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

When you could get on the forum you could never answer anything. I would click reply and it would just laugh at me forever.

Jerry

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

A suggestion would be to rent SharkTales from your favorite video store or borrow from a friend for test purposes only of course and try another burn. Rule out once and for all the bad DVD disk theory.

Is it plugged in??? so to speak <g>

If it is not the disk, then we can finally move on from there and eventual find the answer or answers. I for one would like to know the cause of the problem(s).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  10. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

i used anydvd and clonedvd and it fits just fine without me reauthoring the movie

11. brobear

brobear Guest

iriedawta
    Thanks for the input. Many of the top name apps are getting better at transcoding to the DVD5 media. Programs from last year are no where near as good as the updated versions. So, we are seeing much improved backups from the newer programs; even without editing to lower compression.

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

It is true about the apps getting better, however I have found that on program may work for one disk, and then not another. So sometimes you may be doing everything right but the it is usually a disk problem. One disk would not back up using dvd deccrypter but would using the old 321 xcopy express, and another would not use xcopy but did fine on decrypter. You just have to experiement.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

arniebear
    I guess one has to include users and systems in the equation. To date, I've not run into a DVD that DVD Decrypter couldn't rip. As stop gap measures, Decrypter ripped files for some movies required a patch, but the updated version was quick in coming and the necessity for patches was eliminated. The only difficulty was with a few movies with structural encryption, the unreadable sector encryption. All the other decryption software had similar problems and only now are some of those apps coming on line with updated programs. DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD were among the first to complete the updates. Programs like XCopy and DVD Shrink, that are no longer being updated, have to depend on the updated rippers.

As far as 321 software goes, it is obsolete and becomes more so as technology improves. The software hasn't seen an update since the company folded, meaning any newer encryption can't be broken by the older apps. So, I know of no way that XCopy could ever beat DVD Decrypter in the decryption department. What were some of those movies XCopy would rip that DVD Decrypter couldn't? Lightning UK, the author of DVD Decrypter, might be interested in knowing the titles. To date I've seen several DVDs that DVD Decrypter would break, but not XCopy. The reverse is not the case. I've never seen a case where XCopy would break an encryption that DVD Decrypter couldn't.

14. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Well the problem I encountered was with BBC disk of The Forsyte Saga, decrypter just would not get through the disk but xcopy express did fine, by the same token did backup of Friendly Persuasion (an old movie) and xpress would not do it but decrypter would, go figure

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Strange... Since I don't have the BBC disc of the Forsythe Saga, I can't check it out. Strange though, as Decrypter has always been a better ripper than the Patin Couffin setup in XCopy. I'll have to see if I can't find that disc just to satisfy my curiosity. I'd not heard of Decrypter having any problems breaking encryption until the studios started with the newer structural encryption; and then Lightning UK was quick to update it. Arniebear, when was it you ran into the problem and what version of DVD Decrypter were you using?

16. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Brobear, you are right about decrypter. You will have to forgive me I have been battling the flu and am still a little under the weather. The problem I hace with Forsyte Saga was not with decrypter but with shrink. Decrypter did its usual good job, but Shrink could not get through analysis of the file, so I ended up using xcopy express. Sorry about the fuzzy logic. You are also right in the fact that decrypter gets through just about anything but a bad disk. I have not had a problem with Little Black Book, The Notebook, or Shark Tale. I do however, have a question for you, if you can answer it I would appreciate it. I have been thinking of purchasing Anydvd and wonder if I should just purchase that program, or also purchase Clonedvd along with it, is Clonedvd any better, or worse, than other burning programs?

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi arniebear, Anydvd will run well behind almost any program out there. So if you like using Shrink and want it to work on the new encryptions Anydvd will make Shrink work that way. I have about 8 different ways I can back up a dvd but my first choice for the last year or so has been the CloneDVD/AnyDVD combination. The only time it doesn't work is if the original is defective. My opinion is its one of the best backup combinations out there and they were designed to work together. If you don't mind paying about $70. for both together I suggest you do so. You can't go wrong. Just my opinion for what its worth.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  18. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Thanks Jerry, I know the slysoft site has the combo is it okay to get it from them, or is it better to get anydvd from slysoft and clonedvd from elaborate bytes, I want to make sure I get the right programs.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Same program, in fact the one from Slysoft loads into the Elaborate Bytes folder in the Programs folder of Windows.

Jerry covered AnyDVD fairly well, it works well with most apps. It runs behind Shrink and helps process those unreadable sectors from the new encryption systems. Any of the programs with obsolete rippers like XCopy and DVD Shrink can benefit from AnyDVD's up to date capabilities. Since the newer programs no longer have a ripper, they have to have a ripper like DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD. I leave AnyDVD running all the time, even when using DVD Decrypter. I figure since I have it, why not?

I own CloneDVD2 as well as the InterVideo DVDCopy3. As far as a transcoder, DVDCopy3 is my choice. CloneDVD2 is a good program and simple and easy to use. In the past I've found the DVDCopy3 to have a bit better quality and I've grown accustomed to using it as my first choice. For the higher compression projects though, I go with Rebuilder and Cinema Craft Encoder (RB/CCE).

20. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Brobear, thank you for your input I will definitely purchase Anydvd and Clonedvd. I do like better quality in my movies. You do not notice it so much on the smaller televisions but definitely notice on the widescreens. I have been using Shrink with the quality settings and even though it takes longer I get a much better backup. I have learned from forums about the different media and now use only Verbatim and TDK. I did not know there was a difference before and purchased Liquid Video, made by Optodisk, which I later found out was bottom of the barrel, thanks to reading AfterDawn. Talk about skipping and pixellation. I do not recommend these to anyone.