1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharpie or dvd marker?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by njdvdguy, Feb 15, 2005.

1. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

Well since labels are not recommended on dvd's...is a sharpie good to use to write on the dvd? it wont burn off or anything? is there a dvd marker cause i have looked everywhere and cant find anything. So is a sharpie ok>?

2. vike

vike Member

Sharpies work great, I've used them for a long time and never had a problem. I like to use the fine point Sharpies, cuz they write more like pens. One caveat: If you are restacking your discs on a spindle instead of placing them in a wallet or case, wait for the ink to dry. If you place your disc on a spindle and then place one on top a short time later, the ink does rub off on the data side of the top disc.

3. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Sharpie Ultra Fine Point. Dries fast never had a problem. Now if I could just improve my penmanship to the point that others could read my writing.

4. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

do u guys agree that labels arent good on dvds?

5. wild77

wild77 Guest

Labels can cause all kinds of problems.I also use a fine point Sharpie to mark my discs.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
  6. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

what kind of problems do labels cause?

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Forget about the labels--why take a chance? Sharpie works great--

Whitfield

8. billwebso

billwebso Guest

With a label you alter the dynamic of the disc. You make it thicker, not to mention not getting the label on perfect which could make the disc not spin properly.

9. vike

vike Member

LABELS SUCK BIG TIME. They will eventually fray, loosen or disintegrate. If you are stuck on making your dvds look pretty, buy TY inkjet printables and print the title (and a nice pretty picture!) directly onto the disc.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Stomping labels are a no no for DVD's. New Epson Printers that write on printable dvd media is another story altogether. Many are going that way.

11. Amberly

Amberly Member

I was at Kmart the other day and in the area where they keep their blank cds/dvds they had a four pack of metallic markers that are made just for labeling cds/dvds.

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I use crayola crayons I never run out of colors. Thier so pretty!!!!!!

Just kiddin I use sharpies as well.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

I was in the video section at Wally's and got Neato's and Memorex CD markers. The Neato is still going and the Memorex ran out of ink almost before they started writing. I think someone forgot to put ink in the Memorex markers. A good Sharpie does just as well. Back when I first started, I made some really nice labels and put on my DVDs. I used the tool and centered them and they play the way they're supposed to. I know eventually they'll probably come loose, but a year or more later and they're doing okay. But then I don't have any children playing with those discs.

The Sharpie is the bet. If you want art, go with the inkjet printables or make a cover for the case and just label the DVD with the Sharpie.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

YUP SHARPIES are the way to GO