1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharpie vs. Sticky Labels

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by peart2112, Mar 13, 2007.

1. peart2112

peart2112 Member

I've burned quite a few discs & have applied sticky labels to the discs. I'm starting to have problems with these discs now. (Skipping, freezing, etc).
    So, I'm wondering if I write on the discs with a Sharpie instead, if the weight of the ink will possibly make discs freeze too in my stand alone player (I'm not sure how sensitive they are).

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Use the sharpies and get those labels off your DVDs. You are already aware they will distroy them. Search the forums and look for the ways to remove them. Someone may come along to show you how. Sharpies won't harm the DVDs just don't press too hard.

3. narcismo

narcismo Regular member

pert2112,
    what type of blank discs are u using? i'll take a guess............MEMOREX? or MAXELL? am i right?
    it's not the lables, it's the cheap discs you're using. buy some taiyo yudens, or verbatims, and you won't have a problem down the road. cheap media degrades in about 1 year, and won't play back at all over the course of about 3 years. get the good stuff here... http://www.newegg.com or here http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Nothing was said about the brand of discs used, more than likely the lables......however the discs you mentioned are in fact crappy.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

If the media in question are DVDs, the labels are causing the problems (probably radial tilt due to paper shrinkage and expansion). Paper labels on DVD media--ALL DVD media including Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim--will cause the same problem. The same thing does not happen with CD-Rs because of the different construction and the larger track and pit sizes.

The comments on Maxell and Memorex have nothing to do with the problem, and the information about those brands is inaccurate.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I won't even comment on that one because I just don't have the energy, but I am sure someone is going to jump all over that incorrect statement

7. th49

th49 Member

I've been down the same road you are on it's the labels i switched to a printer that prints labels on DVDs and have not had any problems i've never had any problems with a sharpie but i always use Ridata discs

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ bbmayo,

No jumping here, as i have been down that road as have many other AD members too.

Joe likes the technical side and not the experience side of it.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah there are a bunch of those around here isn't there? ;-)

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I think he may work for them!!

11. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Experience tells us the earth is flat and the sun moves around us. Logic tells us that if there is more than one explanation for any cause, one cannot draw a valid conclusion until all causes but one can be eliminated. A valid conclusion is considered factual in scientific terms. All other judgments are opinions. They remain opinions until they can be logically, factually proven or disproved.

In pear2112's case, it is a fact that all paper-based adhesive labels physically distort DVD discs. Laying the blame on the discs themselves is incorrect. The other comments on the brands are opinions and irrelevant to the problem.

12. narcismo

narcismo Regular member

or a stockholder at the very least :-o

13. Artimus2

Artimus2 Member

14. vlc648

vlc648 Member

What is the problem if you press hard? Not that I've been doing it but I've just never heard of that being a problem before.

15. goosa23

goosa23 Member

hey peart2112,
    i've had the same problem before and had to make copies of dvds already with labels on them. taking them off is a pain in the ass but if you have the patience go for it. sharpies are fine but don't look as nice unless you have good penmanship (not sure on the spelling). try using hub labels. i get them from www.labelgear.com. i've been using them for years and still haven't had a problem, at least not from the hub labels.

16. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I assume it's for the same reason you're not supposed to use a ball point pen. Some cheap DVDs I've seen, seem to have a soft layer on top, easily scraped off?

17. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Artimus,

Well said. Your "opinion" is that Memorex media are trash. If you had sent them the model of your drive and its firmware version as well as the MID code of the discs, they might have told you that the discs are not compatible and have send you versions that are compatible--unless a firmware update could have resolved the problem. Replacing incompatible discs with more incompatible discs will--surprise!--not improve matters. This is a problem with many technical support groups. They should have asked for more details to find out why the discs did not work with your drive.

From the details it is not possible to determine whether or not the media are "trash," but the quality of the support was certainly not good.

18. Artimus2

Artimus2 Member

They didn't ask me anything-not one question. Just sent me a 20 pack.

When they wouldn't burn and the message was "probably bad media" I'd put in Fuji,HP and even Maxwell and there was no problem burning the backup.

So I'm stuck with 38 Memorex LightScribe discs.

This is a lesson learned, I'll never buy Memorex...anything again.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well as far as the stickers not affecting TY's or verbs. i have about 60 movies that have them stickers on them all of them are either 8x+r or 16x+r verbs i know for a fact 24 of them skip and freeze and have pixles in them. granted i did this when i first started burning just over a year ago and i didnt know any better. so i dont agree with it depends on the media if the sticker affect it.

keep up the Fight JoeRyan...lol dont agree with somethings ya say but what you do say is logical and i myself do listen to logic.

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@cincyrob

Playing both side of the fence.Huh! How many Memorexes are you going to buy! I think I know! LMAO