1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharpie vs. Sticky Labels

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by peart2112, Mar 13, 2007.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

lmao..... i havent bought any memorex disc but have had some given to my by my dad. 8x-r's had 25 of them. burned all 25 of them and only 2 coasters.... dont know if they will play this time next year but they still do as of right now....i have a good stock pile of 16x+r verbs. and working on getting a good inventory of 8x+r hubprintable TY's. so i dont see any memorex purchases in the next 40 years or so...but like i said what Joe has to say is pretty interesting. i just dont know where theses drives are that are compatible with the CMC mag stuff. what brand, model, price range...

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Me thinks JoeRyan has stock in CMC mag? He has been posting these statement all over the forum lately. Even though his statements are logical and sound good the fact of the matter is CMC manufatured DVD's are inferior to TY or MMC it has been proven over and over and time and again here on AD alone for the last 3 years at least. So go ahead and use your Merosux disc if you must, but don't come back here in year crying about they won't play anymore and you can't figure out why. I am still replacing disc's I backed up several years ago when I used memorex because they just wont play anymore. Any other disc I used during that time still play perfectly fine and I used some cheapo discs back then until I got some sense knocked into me ;-) Now I only use TY or Verbatim (mostly Verbatim because of light scribe) Anyone can do a test on all of these disks and see which is better just use a tool like Nero's CD/DVD speed test. You will be amazed at the difference in results with each different manufacturers discs. My TY's have always tested the best with MMC discs not far behind.

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

A few comments:
    I have not seen any test results. That means that there is no proof, merely anecdotal claims, almost all of which can be cleared up as incompatibility issues when the posts include the drive model and firmware version being used.

These scans test the read quality from a disc on the drive. That read quality is determined by: 1) the quality of the read drive; 2) the quality of the write drive; 3) the quality of the medium; 4) the quality of the recording determined by the compatibility of the disc/drive; 5) the condition of the read and write drives and the disc; 6) the recording software; and 7) the computer settings. With all these factors is is very difficult if not impossible to determine the quality of the disc. If the recording drive is incompatible with the disc, it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine the quality of the disc. The tools used to determine disc quality are far too expensive for consumers to purchase. Scans are useful to determine the quality of the recordings, but to say that one can assign the cause of a poor result strictly to the quality of the medium under test is inaccurate and misleading.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you kidding me! You are totally unreal here. With all of the above being exactly the same. Computer settings, Drive used to record, same movie being backed up, and the software used with the only differance being the manufacturer of the blank DVD media you will see a huge difference. Have you tested any of what you are saying or are you just using your own theory? I have for one have done this test several times and the results will amaze you. I guess I need to swing by Wal-Mart on my way home and pick up a couple of memorsux disc to prove my point. I will post the results here later tonight of scans done on exactly the same computer, drive and software with the only difference being the media.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

So you are saying that cmc-mag disks are incompatable with every burner on the market, whereas ty's and verbatims, ritek or whoever are not.

It seems to me that there is some wool pulling going on here. What is great about inconpatable media, sounds like an excuse for rubbish quality, as IF they were a quality manufacturer they would make compatable disks..... Other quality companies don't have any problem with this.. only the "cheapo" makers..

Proven time and time again cmc-mag disks are next to useless. Whether by compatability problems or just poor quality it matters not.. they are unsuitable for purpose and should be avoided.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well put Janrocks :)

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

bbmayo--

Your statement said anyone can do a test. My comments are in regard to anyone's doing a test without knowing all the factors. Your case of someone doing tests on the same system still does not take into account the issues of compatibility. All other factors would be identical: computer settings, drive quality, and so forth.

janrocks--
    I never said that CMC discs are incompatible with all burners. You imply that and ignore the users who have had no problems with CMC media, some of whom do post on AfterDawn. Media manufacturers can only shoot for "compatibility" by building discs that are close to a default setting for a particular diode. That, however, may not work with a diode with different parameters. That is why the firmware issue is so important, and that involves politics in getting initial support.

Yes, I do testing on a variety of systems. A 20X Lite-on DH-20A1H recorded CMC MAG.AM3 media that showed the following data:
    PIE average 2.19 at 8X 2.27 at 18X
    PIE max 22 at 8X 11 at 18X
    PIF average 0.09 at 8X 0.07 at 18X
    PIF max 2 at 8X 2 at 18X

This particular drive is compatible with these media. At 20X these discs have errors in excess of specification, and Taiyo Yuden versions do even worse at 20X. Those results have nothing to do with the discs. It just means that the drive is not ready for 20X recording. Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 16X media are having trouble with many older 16X and even 8X drives. Does that mean that they are not good quality? Probably not. They are simply later to market than other 16X manufacturers, and the firmware setting tables do not include their MID codes and will not until firmware updates are issued. Why don't they just make a compatible disc for "default" settings? Because of the diode differences I mentioned before. Physics applies to all. Politics has favorites. That's why Ritek campaigned to get their head of quality on the DVD Forum Board. It has paid off for them while CMC, MBI, and Prodisc still have to fight to get their MID codes recognized by the first release of DVD drives. If CMC were a poor quality manufacturer, why is it that they produce Verbatim/MCC DVDs and CD-Rs? There is more going on behind the scenes than you realize.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah that you work for Memorsux!!

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I too am in the bbmayo camp. I started out using Cheap Memorex +R dvds with my first drive. Some would be good and some would break up momentarily. First I thought it was my fault, then I realized it was the discs. I had changed to TDK disc again cheap on sale, BUT they were TY T02S, I got real lucky; everything thing's been fine since. I got 3 16X burners now and a $hit pile of Sony 8X +Rs( also TY T02s). And a goodly number of Verbatim 16Xs +Rs. My movies play fine and I'm a convert. And the funny thing is thoses Sony's were just as cheap as the Memorexes, just watch the sales guys! My motto's become: You can buy cheap media or you can buy good media cheap! JM2C