1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoot Em Up + 3:10 to Yuma

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by royalaser, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Valkyr47

Valkyr47 Member

Ok so heres the strange thing... I made another copy, this time i cant seem to notice the skips at least not in the same location as the last burn but i didnt watch the entire film through so they might be somewhere else. When played on my xbox 360, it starts almost immediately... however when i bring it upstairs to play on our standalone player (a cheapo 30 dollar walmart one) i didnt notice skipping during the major scenes, but it still took a long time for the movie to start. Like i put the movie in, the screen goes black like its gonna start, and then you wait like 15-20 seconds and it will start he lionsgate intro... i can however skip over this delay by pressing the fast forward button, strange?

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

Valkyr47, the problem is you didn't get the file clean enough

backup the movie with the latest version of dvdfab decrypter to rip , clean the file with fixvts then us dvd shrink to transcode and burn.

also make sure your using good media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim burning at 8x max.

use this thread for help/guides etc.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/622748

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  3. Valkyr47

Valkyr47 Member

Thanks for the advice ZOSO. I downloaded FIX VTS but i have a question... do i have to do it right after i rip with dvd fab HD decrypter and BEFORE i shrink with DVD shrink?

I have the files on my HD still, but they have already been shrunk and ready for burning, i will be getting 3:10 to yuma back from my friend sometime next week so i can just wait but if i can do it now i would like to so i can get the files off my hard drive

thanks!

4. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Yes. You process through FixVts before transcoding.

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

correct ^^^^^^^^

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@valkyr47

If you didn't save the file you shrunk. Try running it(shrunk one) thru FixVTS, it couldn't hurt and I don't know if it's possible. But it might clean up anything that needs to go. Be sure to make a back up copy of your already transcoded file first.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  7. Anonymouz

Anonymouz Member

I really don't feel like reading this whole dayum thread after seeing the nonsense posted in the first three pages.
    This isn't about SHOOT 'EM UP having some sort of superior protection, it's about what Bill Gates is doing to your computing choices.

I tried unsucessfully to copy Shoot 'Em Up in Xp Home, Xp Media Center Edition 2005, Xp Professional (Retail), Xp Corporate Professional, Vista Ultimate, Vista Home Premium, Vista Home Basic, and NONE of them will allow DVDFab, DVD Decrypter, RipIt4Me, or DVD X Copy to run with this DVD in.
    (I have LOTS of computers because I do tech support on the web, and need all these OSes functional.)

As soon as I dragged out the old W2k box, plugged it into my Sony G400's second port, slapped the dayum DVD into the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, and fired up DVDFab Decrypter 4.0.5.5 I ran off a rip without a hitch.

This is about the surrender of control to Microsoft and what I have been telling people for 7 years - that moving from a server OS with full control to some P.o.S. user OS designed with DRM in mind from the git-go is acquiescing to corporate America's demands for protection against filtching of software. W2k doesn't hear that DRM crap on this Shoot 'Em Up video disc, XP does, it's as simple as that.

I used to use an NEC VHS recorder to duplicate video tape from a Mitsubishi for the same reason, NEC would ignore those tape protection schemes and allow me to copy right past those wavy lines or B&W protection schemes from Macrovision. When I tried to copy using the Mitsubishi as the reader, all the copy protection came through and the VHS was distorted.

Btw, the rip of Shoot em up is 3.52 GB and contains 8 files for the main movie.
    VTS_01_1.VOB is repeated 3 times, Xp can't handle that. The second & third copies of this redundant file are intended to set up the old cyclic redundancy error but inadvertantly set off something entirely different, a shut down of every ripper in use with XP.
    If I try to copy or even play the second copy of the file, I get the Black screen of death and an immediate reboot - EXCEPT IN W2k, which just ignores it. Ditto with copy #3.

In addition there is a kill switch inside VTS_01_4.VOB, if you attempt to copy it. It will copy fully, but causes the reboot as well. Last item in this disc, the VTS_09_0.IFO is duplicated as well - once as a 6 KB file and once as a .99 GB file with identical names. This is accomplished in Unix, which allows duplicate name conventions, and windows is completely baffled by it. LMAO
    There really isn't a full9 GB IFO file here, it's a trick to fool the rippers.

The future of DVDFab is going to be in recognising the appeal paying bribes to M$ has for content providers who really want to protect their stuff. If M$ doesn't get paid, they can go to hell, if they bribe M$, they get the passcodes to making the OS work for them.
    Nothing is perfect but M$ can't go back and rewrite W2k now, they CAN install some "updates" that really have nothing to do with "security" really - except the security of their bribe paying customers when they install DRM patches on YOUR W2k to make it act more like Xpeepee & Vista, (which we've taken to calling "F**Kya" around here).

DVDFab had better get wise and start dealing with the source instead of the lame implimentations venders of "protection" schemes are fooling their customers with. Rippers exist and continue to function for a reason, so M$ can continue to extract money from their corporate clints who are WILLING to pay for protection. The RIAA & MPAA will figure this out sooner or later and THEN it's "good luck baby" to all of those who like building a video/audio library on the schnide.

Of course, all of this may be my little paranoid delusion, you are free to decide for yourselves. I don't write a lick of code but many of my friends do and they are extremely interested when I describe the 6 security implimentations that went into the SP2 release for Xpeepee that I - that's right "I" - suggested to M$ during a 2 hour call from one of their people in Security. I have stumped M$ 3 times in 6 years with the things I can break in an OS, and they wanted to know how I manage to do some of it. I told them a few in exchange for a lifetime key to Office, (every Office they ever make FOREVER - they send me a free copy every time they issue a new version)), a copy of every new Windows Server version - WITH a permanent KEY, (just got my free copy of Windows Server 2008), and a permanently registered copy of W2k that needs no KEY and has no limit on the number of installations I can use it on.
    I figured it was a pretty sweet deal and M$ understood they couldn't stop me from "appropriating" their OSes anyway so they lost nothing in the trade and gained an insight into 6 security holes they managed to plug.
    Then again, I may just be some fool shooting off his mouth and making grandiose claims with no backing at all......You decide.
    It's easy enough to check out though...those of you who managed to rip Shoot 'Em Up are on W2k I'll bet, and those having trouble with it are using Xpeepee, or my name ain't Anonymouse.
    LMAO

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Very few people here use W2K anymore, i myself used to until it corrupted on me a few times across different machines; i digress, you gave the answer to doing this movie in half the 3rd paragraph there; also part of the solution to problems like this can be the optical drive that scupper the copying; i suspect your drive in the W2k box was better at reading the disc ie better at reading thru the encryption Crud..

I have quite a few machines, all XP Pro and Linux, though i don't use Linux for dvd work; (we have a young lady here who does though - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/625584/3786073 ; i'm too lazy to do DVD work in Linux, too much like bringing my work home).
    there's only 2 movies out there i've ever had problems with, can't remember what the first one was but the second was Pirates of the Caribbean World's End. I posted my findings to Fengtao (ie one of the DVDFab authors) along with another person who was having the exact same issues over at cdfreaks; fengtao put out a fix in one of the beta versions and all was well again.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Anonymouz

I'm using a 4 year old XP updated, and have no trouble backing up ANY movie I've selected. Something's wrong with your XP machines. I use AnyDVD and DVD Fab and when updated, they get the job done. Seems like you have many corrupted pcs using XP or bad DVD drives! You might sit down with the best one and get it working like the rest of the majority of the XP machines used by AD users. Shoot 'em up was a piece of cake. Get your house in order, before you tell us we can't do a movie with XP; just because you can't. Sheesh!

10. varnull

varnull Guest

@garmoon

It all depends which updates you have installed.. there was a serious drm update a while ago that broke lots of other things, so a patch was released which repaired the crash and security issues while leaving the DRM in place and active.

As the problem with the update was widely publicised a lot of people avoided that specific update and therefore missed the drm switch on.

XP sp2 can be hacked about to restore it's functionality.. but the best way is to do a completely clean install and bamboozle the auto updates by modifying it's call home function.. combined with changing the permissions on a lot of system files this leads to a far more secure os with much less chance of malware or updates even getting a look in. It can also be used to stop certain "hidden" switches embedded in various media activating the dll's that seem to have no other functions. Have you seen those in action? I have, and it explains why no 2 xp systems ever behave in quite the same way. If you dig deep enough you find that certain dll's have the same name between different releases of xp, but are different sizes and are NOT compatible with each other.. and applications written for the earlier version will not work with the later one, If you try to replace the new version with the older one strange things start to happen.. slightly worrying to say the least seeing as most of these files functions are not publicly documented.

What's the difference between sp1 and sp2? Full sockets functionality.. that's what... That kind of toolset should never have been put in the hands of the script kiddies and typical M$ user base

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Varnull
    Yeah, I do have auto updates turned off. And it greatly pi$$es off NortonIS. I do let M$ tell me when I need one tho. How do you know which updates to accept?? There should be a thread here for us idiots that tells us which updates to NOT install. Is there one here or somewhere else?

@anonymouz
    Maybe I was a little too hard on you, but I don't see a lot of posts that are having trouble with OS, I do see a lot "I can't copy" X. Maybe the reason lies in Varnull's post for "I can't copy X".

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

..hence why i've never, ever let Windows Updates near any of my systems. Oh hang on there was once, but only because i had forgotten to turn off updates after install; needless to say that system played up a treat after that; wiped and reinstalled and magically the problems disappeared. My version of XP is SP2, a slipstreamed version, which may be many years out of date, but it works better than any of our work machines which auto update all the time and work like crap

13. varnull

varnull Guest

14. nemesees

nemesees Regular member

I think my brain just sizzled.

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

So now I will not even let M$ phone home from my pc. Norton will infarct.

16. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

17. crz4mov

crz4mov Member

I do not know what 'annoymouse' is talking about. after having several issues (mostly lack of knowledge, turn autorun 'OFF' etc) I did backup shoot'em up, have not tried 3:10 to yuma yet.
    Using Vista, had no probs....

18. varnull

varnull Guest

YET.. as soon as your vista phones home you will get a forced drm update.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Linux for those who don't want Windows. Most good software written for Windows. That said, I'm not getting into the politics of power in the PC world. I've not gone to Vista yet, but I've been using XP shortly after it was released. I let MS get a few bugs out and then went with SP2. I've not had an OS problem yet, knock on wood. Since I was updating the system with all the priority updates, I turned that over to the system itself. MS will hound you until you update anyway. LOL However, I don't let Windows have control of internet security. I use another program for that. It even tells me when Windows did an update and asks if I want to allow it. I wouldn't feel as comfortable with Windows without the internet security program. The way it is, the OS has been running flawlessly for a long time now. I can do what I want and Big Brother hasn't come for me yet. I suspect there's worse culprits to be caught before "they" waste their time on me. ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  20. inultus

inultus Member

Any new DVD which I've had problems with I've dealt with in this method:

1. Run newest version (6.3.1.5) AnyDVD in background.

2. Open DVD Shrink.
    a) Hit Analysis button to do deep analysis.

b) Hit Backup button (with your preferred audio/compression settings if you want to change any).

3. Burn with your choice of software (I use Copy2DVD).