1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoot Em Up + 3:10 to Yuma

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by royalaser, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Anonymouz

Anonymouz Member

I don't take it personal garmoon, but you should assume good faith first. I KNOW why my XPeepee & above machines are doing what they do, and the DRM update is the cause of it. Unfortunately the Xpeepee machines have definate real world purposes for running as they do or I would have a more controlled version running - well actually I do, it's called Windows 2000 Professional-SP2 with a Blaster worm patch. LMFAO
    Trust me, I am the last one to blame anything on Redmond unless there is good reason to, in this case, DRM is good reason to.

I don't know if y'all know about DW15.exe & DW20.exe or not, but you can delete those "error reporting" P.o.S. as well, they are nothing more than Desaware hooks to tell Microsoft where you been hanging out.
    I remove them as soon as they are installed on almost every piece of M$ software.
    How do I know this? I was a beta tester for Desaware when they first trotted it out. Pretty scary stuff back then, and still is as it masquerades as harmless BHO sort of stuff. Spybot S&D doesn't think it's harmful and doesn't even detect it. Zonealarm either, it believes it is a legitimate part of you browser.
    Did you know Desaware can collect all of the sites you visit, store them quietly on your computer and burst them to microsoft as soon as you go for a security patch? As I understand it, all it does is help target ads for vendors which M$ sells data for and gets it by collecting this stuff from DW15.exe/DW20.exe. M$ isn't the only company using it either. Desaware brags about their software's ability to hide in the background and avoid detection while hooking to all the info about your browsing before your own OS sees it.
    Me? I could care less, let em spy away, buti do find it interesting and the only reason I get pissed is because of the occassional glitch like this 3:10 business.
    M$ has long been trying to monopolise the market with their MPG4 and audio codec proprietary crap, now people are starting to wake up and realize their survival depends on EVERYONE actively combating M$'s attempts at gaining control of content and imposing a tax on the industry for adding zilch in value.

In any event, I didn't come here to debate the value of Xpeepee, I just thought I'd mention WHY it's a problem in case anyone else has it, and offer a ready solution - W2k Pro.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've not been having any problems with XP and I've copied my 3:10 to Yuma and other difficult releases. To date I've not encountered a DVD that couldn't be copied, one way or another. So, I doubt XP being much of a problem as far as doing video backups. I've done nothing special to my OS and update automatically. I gave up trying to fend off MS on updates.

I've not updated to Vista and have only worked with it on a couple of machines. So, I can't comment on the last MS release. I don't see Windows 2K as being much of a solution to anything, anymore than 98. W2K was an interim OS that more or less bridged the gap between 98 and XP. It was a short lived OS compared to 98 and XP. A few people held on to W2K, but most moved on to XP and didn't look back. All the MS OSs have had their problems. XP appears to have been the best of the group so far. Vista is too new to comment on. Hopefully they won't end up putting in all the copyright protection first envisioned or Vista will be a nightmare.

Currently there's XP programs that don't work well in Vista. The same situation happened between XP and programs intended for earlier OSs. Windows has a built in compatibility mode that a lot of people seem to have forgotten or didn't know about.

3. Anonymouz

Anonymouz Member

I never even owned a computer until late in 2001, so Xpeepee and W2k were coincidental to my learning curve. I had the good fortune to be able to tear both OSes apart during the course of learning about computers and how to run then. How many people have you encountered who have bothered to remove every single one of the i386 files in both OSes - one at a time - to see what happens? I did, and found out I can operate a pretty functional W2k with slightly less than 28% of all the i386 files included in W2k. 72% garbage is how I think of Microsoft's Windows 2000 Professional platform. Xpeepee was a LOT worse, I couldn't get under 32% and there is a lot more to start with as well.
    The one thing I can truly say about W2k is, I can control it all. The same cannot be said for Xpeepee - and even to some extent W2k-SP4 - now.

After SP2 was issued I had many a debate over the fact I no longer considered Xpeepee to BE a clone of W2k with some eyecandy, and few people believed me then. Any time you change 40% of a software core, you have a hard row to hoe making the argument it's the same program, let alone nearly the same as the previous OS. It looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, why it MUST BE an NT OS.
    News flash, it ain't, and hasn't been since they issued SP2, and all the myriad "post-SP3 updates" of W2k, (some 178+ at last count on my SP4+ machine here, of which 70 or more are post SP3), all serve to bring W2k into line with how Xpeepee-SP2 acts and what they hope Vista will do for them as far as the DRM end of it. I hardly recognise my beloved W2k-SP2 anymore.

Had they not made programs that simply will not run on W2k, I would probably NEVER use Xpeepee, but they did, and I do like my All-In-Wonder X1900 so..............I reluctantly move into the future ever so slowly. I can truly sympathize with those old grouches I used to hear say, "I'm fine with my Win'95 and I'm never upgrading" - I truly can. And "trusted computing" is just one reason why I still confine my personal and secure document work to an off-line computer running W2k-SP2 only.

For those who didn't have trouble with 3:10 or some other DVD, more power to ya, you got lucky - this time. Perhaps the next install won't be so good to you, or maybe it will. It's sorta "luck of the draw" at times, with Microsoft, as I'm sure anyone who's installed the same OS more than a few hundred times will have noticed. Each install has it's own unique and different "quirky personality" from the last one & no two are ever exactly the same.
    In any event, I remain unbeaten by any copy protection scheme to date and hopefully the wonderful community surrounding places like this will continue to fight the good fight for freedom of information.
    Thank You for that, and good luck to all. i4ce. (iForce) a foot soldier in the battle for control of our liberties. Visit *removed* to meet more of us. (Off-line today for some reason, Pappy prolly forgot to pay the light bill again.LMAO)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Interesting reading, but there's zero problems with XP, for those using DVDFab (and the same re AnyDVD i believe, though i don't use it, only going by what i read)

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@anonymouz
    I'll have to agree 100% with creaky. The only movies I haven't been able to back up are scratched and abused DVDs that two different drives can't read. I have done every new movie (including Saw4, 3:10, etc) the first night I got them, at least for the last 2 years, and probably longer using AnyDVD or DVDFab and another combo to the shrink and burn. All with XP-sp2 on a 3 1/2 yr old machine. I didn't get lucky, I was taught how to do these movies right here at AD 3 years ago and I'm still learning new tricks. Hollywood has all but thrown in the towel. I actually miss the challenge.

6. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

I use anydvd, dvd shrink and burn with imgburn, movie only(heck thats why I bought the dvd in the first place).The whole computer has been updated with windows update,XP sp2, and I haven't had any problems backing up anything.My wife has a new laptop,Vista home premium,and it has been fully updated. I use the same setup and no problems.I will back up the whole dvd if it has games on it for my kid to play so I'll make an extra copy for him this way. If I want to see the special features I'll just put in the original.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Anonymouz
    Windows has been a progression. So far the latter OSs have been better than the earlier versions, once most of the bugs were worked out. Looks like Vista is going along the same lines. You can use your derogatory label of XPeepee or whatever for XP. Looking around, you're in a small minority as far as being a W2K user. For most of us the XP is the best OS for doing backups. Besides myself we have the illustrious Creaky and Garmoon agreeing about the same. In fact, I'm sure if you did a poll, you'd find out that XP is probably the favorite OS for doing video backups. As I said earlier, W2K was merely a transitional OS which didn't last as long as the other Windows OSs. XP is a good OS, but still a transition to Vista.