1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shortening mp3 file

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 12achel, Oct 20, 2004.

1. 12achel

12achel Member

hi, some songs i download have crap at the end of it (i.e. clapping or radio dj's talking). i've tried to find files that don't have inturruptions but no luck. i was wondering if there was a way to manually shorten an mp3 song? thanks so much in advance

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Have a look at Audacity -- it's a FREE Sound Editor " here:- http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You load your Mp3 in --

You will see a waveform on the screen representing both channels -- look at the end and/or the beginning , that's were you will see a straight line ""meaning there is no sound there"" -- highlight this with your mouse and click Edit --Delete .

Save by clicking File -- Export as Mp3.

Regards !

3. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Or you could try MP3Trim which is a very simple little app to use.

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Just finish trying your Mp3Trim -- after putting a 3 seconds silence at the beginning and end of a Mp3 -- It did trim it !

However , i tried again and put in -25DB of white noise for 3 secs at either end added a click to simulate a microphone or recorder shut-off , which is what you would get approx on a recording done in a crude way by an average piece of software -- this time Mp3Trim did not remove it.

Conclusion MP3trim does what many good burning software does -- that is remove the slack at the end of songs but will not correct for bad sound tracks startup/endings -- only an Editor can do that.
    You could do it with MP3trim if you were to take in Winamp player the exact time at the beginning and the same at the end where you have to remove the noise : but that's is a blind error/trial method..

So
    You need the Editor !

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2004