1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy an XBOX 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by campbelt, Sep 2, 2007.

1. campbelt

campbelt Member

Hello everyone,

I am considering buying an XBOX 360, but I am not sure if I should. I've been reading online for some time now, as well as talking to people, and I am now afraid that if I do buy one, I'll send up with an overheating or otherwise broken console. I am not interested in spending hundreds of $$$ on something that will need to be worked on, repaired, sent in, or exchanged. I certainly have no interest in having to do such things multiple times, as some people have had to do.

So, in your opinions, if I buy an XBOX 360, what are the chances that I will get a consol that works great and that will not need to be tinkered with for at least a year, preferably longer?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

2. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I will try my best to not sound biased answering this question since I am just giving known information & I hope others can can do the same....The fact is MS have admitted that all of the 10+ million 360's sold in the last 19+ months suffer from a design flaw that could cause the device to fail. Now, with that said going forth they do have the new Zephyr HDMI equipped model which is thus far the more reliable one to get compared to the ones sold in the last 19+ months. So, if you are definitely going to get a 360, purchase this model or an Elite (although they too have been shown to fail and are not immune from the RROD).

If you want to wait a bit longer the supposed new 65nm chipset 360's will supposed fix all the issues with reliability the 360 has but this is not a 100% definitive as they aren't out and I am a person of "I have to see it to believe it" since MS's track record is what is proven right now of over at least a 30% failure rate on 360's (or even higher).

Now you said you have no interest in wanting to deal with the repair issues, down time and such....so the ultimate decision is up to you as even though anyone here (or where ever) has their own opinions on this subject, the reality is that we can't tell the future for any consoles expectancy life with use (especially the 360). Hell you might not have a single issue and enjoy all the games the 360 has to offer but at least you are looking for information before you make such an expensive decision.

With that said I myself would not just go and buy a second 360 if mine RROD's. That would only perpetuate the massive problem. I would either wait for the 65nm to then send mine in for repair to then hope I get a 65nm in replacement OR get mine fixed via MS repair under the extended 3 year warranty sell it to then buy a 65nm. That is IF it is proven to be a truly better built/higher quality console.

Good luck and welcome to aD.

3. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

As long as you get one of the newer 360's(new heatsink) you should be fine.If anything would happen to your 360,we have the new 3 year warranty.Now hurry up and buy one so you can play Bioshock,game of the year.....maybe(or Halo 3,Mass Effect)

4. campbelt

campbelt Member

Thank you for your reply Oner. I think you did a great job remaining unbiased, and I really appreciate it.

In reference to your second paragraph:

If I do decide to buy a 360, and if I do wait for the 65nm chipset consol, how long do you suppose I would have to wait? And, how would I know when my wait is over? Would the new system be given a special name, as the Elite version has been given the special name "Elite"?

Thanks again.

5. campbelt

campbelt Member

Thank you for your response, thegrunt. While your reply was not as non-biased as Oner's, I still appreciate your mention of the new heat sink in newer 360s. I have heard of the new heat sink, but I have also heard that either (1) not all areas (countries?) are actually getting consols with them, or (2) that the new heat sinks don't really exist. So, has the existence of the new heat sink in new 360s been confirmed as fact, and are they available in all new 360s in all areas?

6. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

The 65nm chipset should be out before the end of the year and no it will not have a special name to it.The new heatsinks are real and most consoles out in retail stores should have them inside
    New heatsink
    [​IMG]

7. campbelt

campbelt Member

To see is to believe, I suppose. Has the new heat sink made a noticable difference?

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think the 360 is a really good system.I bought all three systems,and since the 360 has been out for awhile it has a really good game selection.The new design for the heat sink does make a difference,and I would recommend buying the console.I think the 360 has the best games available,but if we are talking about design then I would say the PS3 hands down.I bought the PS3 first,because I didn't want to lose the PS2 enigma chip inside.I still play PS2 games every now and then,and I don't want to worry about emulation issues.The 360 would have been my first choice,but just like some people I wanted to wait and see what MS had to offer.If you wait long enough you can get the Halo 3 edition XBox 360,which from experience from the regular XBox era tends to be the best model to get.If I had to choose which system to get I would place them in this order:

1.)XBox 360 (A really good sytem,but does have a design flaw with the internal fan.It makes up for it with the game selection,and the flaw is actually an easy fix)
    2.)PS3 (Another really good system,but lacks games for it.The system has a really good design,and would be a good investment for the future.The launch titles that would make this system really good keep getting pushed back constantly.)
    3.)Wii (The controller for it is really cool,but has game titles for a younger audience.They get games that are enjoyable,but nothing really stands out that says next gen.The graphics and gameplay are about the same when compared to the last gen GameCube)

9. campbelt

campbelt Member

Alright, I decided to go ahead and buy a 360 Elite ... wish me luck. Thanks for all of your help.

10. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Hope you get one with a Heat Sink in it (if available?)! Good Luck and enjoy your purchase.