1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i buy the 80GB or the 40GB PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by hulud86, Jan 27, 2008.

1. hulud86

hulud86 Member

I want to purchase a Playstation 3 sometime this week but i do not know if i should save some money and get the 40GB or if i should just go for the 80GB. Does anybody know what is different about the two systems besides the hard drive and backward compatibility?

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

80GB has two extra USB ports and has Super-Audio CD playback. (SACD)

3. koalarock

koalarock Member

The 40 only has PS1 backwards Comp. no memory card readers, and only 2 USB ports instead of 4. Other than that they are exactly the same. (Except for storage of course) Both can be upgraded to a larger HDD. It is up to you. Do you really need to play PS2 games on your PS3? Do you need a memory card reader? Do you need 4 USB ports? All of that is up to you my friend. If you don't need those, then there is no real reason to get the 80, as you can replace the HDD to a much larger one, and still save money. I hope that helps.

4. koalarock

koalarock Member

I was wrong. It has Card Readers. Sorry.

5. hulud86

hulud86 Member

Thats for the help guys. I dont really need extra usb ports,i never play PS2 games, and i dont really want motorstorm. So i think im just going to stick with the 40GB.

6. hulud86

hulud86 Member

Thanks for the help guys. I dont really need extra usb ports,i never play PS2 games, and i dont really want motorstorm. So i think im just going to stick with the 40GB.

7. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

No, it dosen'.

8. koalarock

koalarock Member

Oh, C-net said it did. Guess I wasn't wrong, but then I actually was wrong. ><

9. Shinraboy

Shinraboy Regular member

Can you play american dvds and bluray on a Japanese PS3?

10. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

No DVD and Blu-Ray are region locked.

11. supertape

supertape Guest

I have a JAPANESE PS3 and I can play any BLU RAY. You just can't play dvd's from any region other than Japan.

And all you have to do is change the text to English and it looks no different than a Usa version.

12. hulud86

hulud86 Member

Well back to the original topic. I ended up buying a 40GB PS3 because the 80GB has been discontinued. I probably would of got the 40GB anyway.

Does anybody know if there are going to discontinue the 40GB too and come out with something new?

I think they will. So i purchased a two year warranty at Best Buy for $59.99, So if the 40GB is discontinued i will return it and say that it had a problem with the video or something. Then they will have to replace it with the new PS3 because the 40GB would be discontinued. Flawless?

Sorry that was so confusing.

13. james2194

james2194 Member

80GB i have a 40GB and cant play ps2 games with it and my ps2 is broken i could use the card readers and i have a usb hub with 4 ports on it so i have 5 usb prts so thats cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

Higly doubt they will discount the 40gb, its the only ps3 thats on the market in europe for example and sony are not losing money like with the 60gb.

15. hulud86

hulud86 Member

Yeah but what about backward play, and a bigger hard drive, and usb ports, and the stuff the 40Gb is missing? Do you really think they will just leave it like it is right now for the U.S.?

All i'm saying is if it does happen, i shouldn't get screwed over by Sony.

16. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

They wont discontinue the 40 gig anytime soon, they will however create a new deluxe or premium whatever you would care to call it, model. That being said it will, odds are, cost much more than you paid for your PS3 so I'd hardly call that getting screwed by Sony.

17. tripplite

tripplite Guest

geez this worse then should i put the peanut butter untop of the jelly or the jelly on top the peanut butter argument
    40 and 80 are huge, you wont fill them up with game saves thats for sure!!

18. supertape

supertape Guest

Unless you have 50 games you never finish like me. ! LOL.

19. hulud86

hulud86 Member

I love my PS3 and im not worried about the hard drive. I dont play video games that much. But with technology you never know, they could come out with something new right after i purchase the 40GB. But if they dont discontinue the 40GB ill be happy.