1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy the PS3 edition or Xbox edition?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Xintruder, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Xintruder

Xintruder Guest

Hello,

I own both consoles. I love both consoles. I play for fun, and I am not asking what console is better. These days many games are coming / came out on both consoles. COD4, Jerricho, assassins creed. The question is: What edition of the game should I buy, the ps3 or xbox360 edition?

I had both consoles since launch, I would choose the PS3 edition in the past because I use HDMI (1080p or something), while the older 360 only had component cable (720 max). Now that I bought the elite I don't know what to buy.

I buy resistance for ps3, halo for xbox, what it gets to: same game on both consols I don't know what to buy :(

Help me!

2. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Aside from small graphical differences these games are going to look the same. So the only question you'll really have to ask yourself is which controller feels better in your hand? The other question you might want ask yourself is if you plan to play with the online community. The 360 has a larger online community, so if online matters you may want to join the 360 camp.

3. Xintruder

Xintruder Guest

Thanks for your quick answer!

Does everybody agree on which console has the 'little' graphic advantage, or is it still deated....?

What about sound (5.1), are they the same?
    Single player stuff, same?
    future addons and extentions, same?
    Future exclusive stuff..., is it true that assasins creed (for example) will have its own exclusive extentions in uture, and xbox will be different.. and so on ??

4. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

If you have a Hdtv get the games on Ps3 as the ps3 graphics are better.
    Did you have Ps2 or xbox, if you had ps2 you probably be more used to the ps3 controls.
    Yh single player will be the same
    Not sure about the Assassins Creed stuff

5. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

I realize this is the PS3 board so I don't want to offend anyone, but the graphics on PS3 aren't necessarily going to be better than the 360 with the games that Xintruder listed.

These games are being developed with both systems in mind and did not have separate development from the ground up for each system. That process would be inefficient and very costly. Essentially what I'm getting at is that the graphical differences with the games Xintruder listed will be very little because the games were developed together then optimized for each system.

Here is a graphics comparison with games available on both systems. Mouse over the images to see the differenced on the 360 and PS3. There are positives and negatives for both systems but they are minimal differences.

@ziggi_83
    The 360 displays games in HD... Your statement alluded that the 360 doesn't when it actually does...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  6. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Either one,its the same game

7. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

Mate i know 360 has HD as i have one i meant 1080p because of Blu-ray
    Just because the gaems will be coming out on both consoels doesnt mean it will have the same graphics

8. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Also, just because the games will be coming out on both consoles doesn't mean the PS3 will have better graphics. As I said before, both systems have their graphical pros and cons.

9. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

It comes down to how the devs develop and optimize for each system. For example, if they make the game on 360 and do a (probably shitty) port job (refer to most EA titles) then the 360 will most likely have slighter better graphics (and vise-versa), especially when it comes to anti-aliasing for some reason (memory?). That's just coming from my experience.
    I would think assassin's creed started on ps3 because it was an exclusive at one point, but then again they had to cut corners or something I'm sure to make it about the same size as a DVD9 because of the 360 version, which is totally disappointing.
    Assassin's Creed and COD4 aren't out yet so its impossible to say which system they will look better on. Jericho I'm not too sure about.
    My guess is that they will be almost identical on both consoles anyway.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  10. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Get the 360 version it has achievements.

11. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

Dont listen to that 360 fanboy, have you got warranty on your xbox? You never know when it will commit suicide. Its down to you, what do you like when it comes to controller etc Xbox360 or Ps3

12. cd250481

cd250481 Member

You'll probably think I'm saying as i own a PS3 but i wouldn't buy a xbox 360 only really because of this " red ring of death" thing where the 360 as a hardware failure then shows you 3 red lights in that ring of lights on the front. Just check this site, full of xbox360 buyers complaining about it.

http://www.360maniac.com/2006/01/30/repair-xbox-360-3-red-lights/

page goes on and on and on

Hope this helps your decision.

13. Oraseth

Oraseth Regular member

Also own both ps3 and a xbox, There is one point that should also be addressed. Namely at the moment ps3 really lacks any real working social network/online gaming system that availably on the xbox. Until Home comes out some time next year, hopefully 1Q (but no promises); xbox360 live network and the game benefits that come from that are considerable.

So achievements, live support, in-game chat/coms with people outgame and ingame, are currently in the 360:s favor.

BUT if your a person that values one player gaming more, then the more powerful ps3 should offer you more value.
    (note: this comes down to how well they have coded the games to utilize the ps3:s features, good bet is to check out the reviews that come out of the games and pay attention to platform comparison reviews)

my two cc.

- Ora

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  14. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

So what would you choose?

15. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Great post. I agree with both ends of your statement.

I think he did right by not choosing... The point of this thread is create a neutral environment so Xintruder can choose on his own which system he'd like. Playing the console popularity contest is is just going to create a system slam fest with no real conclusion, a fanboy favorite.

16. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

This has been bothering me for a while Omri; why the bloody hell do u troll the ps3 boards looking for any chance to praise the 360 or shoot off about the ps3. Furthermore you never really give any half decent reasons why anything is good or bad. Seriously buzz off.

17. Xintruder

Xintruder Guest

Hello guys and thank you all for your input. All your statements is something I complement and value much.

I came up with this following conclusions, since I have both consoles (PS3 and Xbox360):

1) Go for the Xbox360 version of game if I want to be envolved in the Online community, such as COD4, GRAW2, Vegas, etc.

2) Select the more comforting controller for the game. For example Pro evolution soccer is better for me in PS3 than 360 (used to be a winning 11 player), and COD is better for me in 360.

3) Try to research what was the game programmed to be on, such as Assasins Creed for PS3. I'm sure I will see games I wouldn't know what was it planned to be in, such as jerricho.

I just hope both consoles will launch extremely good exclusives and I will get both games and be envolved in this ever lasting console war! j/k kind of..

As for the achievements, I know some player enjoy them but as for me I don't know how it benifits me?! I had something like over 4000 ( of points or somthing), and I have no clue whats the points are or how is this helpfull to me, like what happends?!?!?

Have a good day all and thanks for your input guys! :)

18. Oraseth

Oraseth Regular member

Well... the main problem with the ps3 is that the programing language for the ps3 is fairly unique, and that it really does not apply to anything other than for the ps3. Because of this coders need to learn a new language just to be able to make games on for the ps3.People are somewhat reluctant commit to making games for it, since the Microsoft xbox 360:s language XNA is much closer to more commonly used languages like C# or .NET. Its simply easier to make games for the 360.

The other biggest problem for ps3 is that people really are not good enough in coding for it, and they are not really using much of the capabilities of the device. As time goes on and people get more experience coding for it, the games will improve dramatically.

Well, Thats pretty much it, people can see what games you have played, as well as what achievements you have unlocked. Also useful if you make a friend on live and you add them to you friends list, you can see what games they may have so you can try inviting them to join you in a game or two...

As for happens or gets... thats about it. Its really just for your own entertainment as well as a social thing. :D

19. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

srry mispost.

20. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

The 360 does 1080P through both VGA and HDMI. And Blu Ray has nothing to do with the PS3 outputting at 1080P.

And that's not a fan boy statement...

I read awhile back that IGN (I believe) reported that the PS3 version of CoD4 was graphically better. So it might be worth grabbing it for the PS3.