1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I downgrade?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Barbies, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Barbies

Barbies Member

Hi all!

New here so be gentle!

I recently picked up a region 2 PSP from my travels in Dubai, was at a good price so couldn't refuse. Now i have been reading and i like the sound of playing games from my memory stick (1Gb) which i also got on the cheap. However I'm wondering if it is actually worth downgrading just to allow me to do this. The only things i will be using the PSP for will be games, maybe watch a few movies and surf. The only game i play are football games so interested in Fifa07 or ProEvo now I don't mind paying the extra for the UMD disc but heard i can do better with games on my memory stick.

My PSP is the V2.71 with the TA-082 mobo and have the instructions all be it (allegedly) simple process of downgrading. Am i write in thinking the latest version is 3,03 something? Also Im from the UK and all these instructions seem to be for US versions so am I OK here?

So basically what I'd like to know is what other features can I get if i downgrade? Is it worth it?

Cheers

2. yohex

yohex Guest

Yes downgrading is quite worth the trouble and 5 mins wasted, and downgrading works for all psp, as long as the downgrader is meant for it. As for extra features, if you were a big fan of old ps 1 soccer/football games then psp could play those once downgraded and upgraded to custom fw, and a lot more that I find pointless to list because you really just want it for gaming.

3. Barbies

Barbies Member

Thanks. I quite like the idea of fast loading and quite games and the PSP can get loud. Id lke to carry it around with no UMDs and play games off my memory stick, I think i should be able to downgrade after reading carefully but worried about breaking it. Also does this make it Region free? whats the significance for the region apart from games?

4. yohex

yohex Guest

It should also let you watch movies from other regions, and if it helps watch my downgrade tut for 2.71, it's sorta helpful having seeing how downgrading looks I guess, and it makes my video more popular =D

5. Barbies

Barbies Member

Cool vid will take notes!

So basically I will downgrade from 2.71 to 1.5 and then upgrade to one of the custom firmwares like 3.03? once that is done I need an emulator of some sort on the memory stick? am i on the right tracks? lol

So once the PSP is upto the latest firmware I have a game ISO which I put on the memory stick(PSP/GAME?)
    start the PSP?
    load the emulator? how?
    load the game?

Am I getting warm? :)

6. yohex

yohex Guest

Your close to perfect, for custom firmware you don't need to run an emulator for ISOs, but for stuff like gameboy then yes you need an emulator.

When finish downgraded and upgraded, just shove the rip to the ISO folder and go to game/memorystick/your game

7. Barbies

Barbies Member

OK great. I have an ISO game to try out in that case. I will downgrade to 1.5 then upgrade using 3.03 OE-C Winstaller.exe? is this the best upgrade for the PSP?
    Once that is done just run the game from the ISO straight from the game option in the PSP?

8. Barbies

Barbies Member

Also when upgrading to 3.03 OE-C do you have to be running HEND in the background again? what is that meant to be and does it stay running in the background or something?

9. yohex

yohex Guest

When you upgraded to custom firmware, its already got the HEND running( Homebrew enabler something soemthing) it allows you to run homebrew and play ISOs.

10. Barbies

Barbies Member

So do you have to run HEND each time you want to play an ISO?

Well think i will bite the bullet and do it now and upgrade to the 3.03 OE-C. I can go straight from 1.5 to 3.03 right?

11. yohex

yohex Guest

Yes, Thats the point 3.03 is only accessable to FW 1.5 and custom FWs, and HEND is already running