1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I exchange my Sony DRU-720A?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by baja150, Feb 24, 2005.

1. baja150

baja150 Member

My Aunt bought me a Sony DRU-720A from Best-Buy for my birthday.

Should I exchange it for a Plextor PX-716A?

Thanks.

2. UniKorn

UniKorn Guest

Just curious, have you used this drive yet? I bought mine a couple of days ago and the only gripe I have is that it is speed/rip locked at 2x for all media, commercial pressed, single layer, burned DVD media, all rip at a max of 2x. Being that it is a Lite-On like the 710A is, I figured for sure it would rip much faster then that.

Now, I did upgrade the firmware from JY01 to JY02 as soon as I got it. I was pretty surprised to see there was a firmware upgrade available so quickly. I wonder if upgrading the firmware to JY02 affected anything?

Can anyone who has this drive confirm if you are able to rip faster then 2x? Thanks

3. baja150

baja150 Member

No I haven't even received it yet. She bought it from Best Buy online and it's being shipped here. I was wondering if I should exchange it before I even open it for the Plextor.

Anyone?

4. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Baja -- I have the Plextor 716A and love it. I bought it from newegg.com for 100 bills. There is a firmware upgrade out on plextor.com; so, fyi; it installs quickly and flawlessly. I have no issues burning with Verbatim media and even Legacy DVD+RW works nicely .... so far, no coasters. Sony, gets pretty good ratings from www.extremetech.com, one of my favorite geek websites. Good luck, keep us posted on the soap opera. By the way, your Aunt sounds pretty cool to buy you a burner!!!

starbuck

5. baja150

baja150 Member

Starbuck,

Thanks. I've installed the Sony, but don't have any results to report... yet.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Yeah my Aunt is cool. She asks me for computer related help a lot. When I told her I was jealous that she had a DVD burner she bought me one.

6. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Baja, tell her you're jealous that she has an AMD FX 55; let me know if she buys you one!!!

Keep us posted. I have Plextors and Sony drives and like them both, alot!! Did you read the drive articles at www.extremetech.com?? Say hello to your Aunt from all of us here at aD! Later.

starbuck

7. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest