1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I get the No Solder Modchip or Flip Top???

Discussion in 'PS2' started by erik1213, Apr 30, 2003.

1. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

I'm not sure if i should get the no solder modchip w/ Swap Magic 2 Discs or the Flip Top w/ Swap Magic 2 Discs.

I have heard all go things about the Flip Top except i heard it won't play DVD Rips and I don't have a DVD Burner.

I have heard both good and bad things about the No Solder Modchip. I have heard many stories of how the chip fried their PS2. But I have also heard that it is the best thing they have ever bought.

Please Help!!!

2. cheib

cheib Member

I just recieved my fliptop a week ago and installed it in like 5 minutes whereas a no solder modchip would have probably taken me about 15 to 20 minutes and I probably would have broke something. The fliptop does the same thing that the no solder modchip does with less stress on your ps2 and like I said it's easier to install. Yeah it does not play dvd rips but just use a straight copy on dvd.

3. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

I mean DVD Rips like putting a DVD-ROM game on a CD-R.

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I dont have either so I am not biased in any way. From the threads that I have read on the forum I would go with the flip top. The people who have those seem to be very impressed with there performance, where as the no solder mod chip has some issues with various games. (there is a thread devoted to games that dont work with the no solder chip you amy want to check that out before you make your decision)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  5. cheib

cheib Member

I knew what you meant, I was just saying that you would need to just do a straight copy to dvd rather than ripping it. That's the only downfall to the fliptop other than it will not play Hitman 2 or Clocktower 3 and a few other games but there is not many that it will not play.

6. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

Does anybody know which games the flip top cannot play? Thank You!!!!

7. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

That is such a lie cheib, the no solder mod chip takes about 5 minutes or less because you just have to plug it inside your ps2, and the flip top looks ugly on the ps2 and it takes alot longer to install than the no solder modchip. erik1213 the best place to buy a no solder modchip is from www.modchipinc.com you get for $28.99 including the two swap magic discs or if you just want to buy just the no solder modchip it will cost you $9.99 that is cheapest price for it on the net, you can also buy a fliptop from there which I suggest you do not get.

8. cheib

cheib Member

i'm lying, I have installed both. you do not need to take off hardly any of the part's of the ps2 to install the fliptop and you are less likely to break any of the cables. Besides I gave my opinion and do not need to be called a liar you moron.

9. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Hey man no need for harsh words I didn't mean that in a bad way, there is no need for childish name calling kid, and also what you are saying is that, you installed the no solder modchip and the flip top to your PS2, what is the point of having them both on together? And when you are installing the flip top cover you basically have to unscrew every major part of the ps2 like the power button, reset eject button, the white disc that holds the the ps2 game in place, while playing the ps2/ps1 game, and the cd tray cover by doing that you can easily damage the PS2 LENS. And while you are installing the no solder modchip all you have to do is plug the two wires in from the ps2, and plug in the no solder mod chip in and wallah! those directions are easy enough for a 3 year old to understand which means they are easy enough for you to understand cheib :) hopefully if you decide to install ANOTHER no solder modchip to your PS2 it wont take you that long. NEXT TIME YOU DECIDE TO POST SOMETHING TELL YOUR MOM TO CHANGE YOUR DIAPER AND PUT YOU IN THE STROLLER SO YOU WON'T BE SO ANGRY:)

10. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Hey man no need for harsh words I didn't mean that in a bad way, there is no need for childish name calling kid, and also what you are saying is that, you installed the no solder modchip and the flip top to your PS2, what is the point of having them both on together? And when you are installing the flip top cover you basically have to unscrew every major part of the ps2 like the power button, reset eject button, the white disc that holds the the ps2 game in place while playing the ps2/ps1 game, and the cd tray cover by doing that you can easily damage the PS2 LENS. And while you are installing the no solder modchip all you have to do is plug the two wires in from the ps2, and plug in the no solder mod chip in and wallah! those directions are easy enough for a 3 year old to understand which means they are easy enough for you to understand cheib :) hopefully if you decide to install ANOTHER no solder modchip to your PS2 it wont take you that long. NEXT TIME YOU DECIDE TO POST SOMETHING TELL YOUR MOM TO CHANGE YOUR DIAPER AND PUT YOU IN THE STROLLER SO YOU WON'T BE SO ANGRY:)

11. cheib

cheib Member

talk about childish, thanks for the words of wisdom mister knowitall!!! I bow down before your infinite stupidity. Like I said this is a forum for opinions, that means that is for the person posing the questions to judge what they think is best not for you or me. enough said!

12. telescope

telescope Regular member

guys ther is no need to fight
    Be cool and cheer up cause both the things A fliptop and a no solder mod good
    Actually both of them require less time for installation
    But i think bettr if u want to play backups go for a soldering chip
    Thank u

13. New2This

New2This Guest

I have got a flip-top cover and it was easy to install (10 mins approx). All the games that I have work fine. If I were you I would go for the flip-top as with the no-solder you CANNOT play CDs greater that 74mins and DVD are a big no, no (I know you said that you don't have a DVD burner, but I would seriously invest in one). By far the best DVD Burner out there is the pioneer A05.

14. ak77

ak77 Member

I have a no-solder mod for my 30001R v4 ps2. It works fine, but I actually recommend the fliptop case for the following reasons:

1. When using Swap Magic, you have to wait for the boot disc to spin down. Once, while I was a little drunk, I activated the no-solder eject mechanism while the disc was still spinning... scariest sound you'll ever hear from your PS2, as the high-velocity spinning boot disc comes speeding to a grinding halt in the ejecting disc tray.

2. The no-solder ejection code gives you about 6 seconds to do the swap, which puts a little pressure on you to hurry, especially if you're unprepared. If you fumble the disc and the tray slides back in, you may get a disc jam... not pleasant. This isn't an issue with the flip top, since you can open the lid at any time, and see when the disc stops spinning.

As far as booting games goes, the two should be exactly the same. It's not the flip top or the no-solder chip that boots the games, it's the Swap Magic discs. The flip top and the no-solder chip are only there to trick out the standard PS2 ejection mechanism, making it believe that it never actually ejected. In effect, your PS2 thinks it's playing the boot disc. Understand? =)

Edit: In case you can't infer it from my last paragraph, this means that the non-booting of 80 minute CD-rips is a limitation of the Swap magic discs, not the flip top or the no-solder chip. There are patches out there that can strip more content from 80 minute rips, turning them into 74 minute rips. But I can't remember where... I don't play lousy rips any more. =)

Alex

Last edited: May 1, 2003
  15. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

erik1213------ when you get done with the entertainment of watching these people duke it out over who knows what, make your own mind up about what would be best for you. I have both the no-solder and the flip top and i like the flip tops much better. the no-solder killed 2 of my PS2's. there's alot more wear and tear on the cd tray motor. the chip continues to send voltage to the motor while the tray is in the swapping state (tray out), and since the tray is extended and still getting power it's drawing very high current, which will pop a fuse in the PS2 or worse. ---with the flip top, the time to install it is about the same as the no-solder chip, but there's no electrical modification to the system at all, so thats a big plus right there. you can get a flip top in black and unless you're standing right on top of your PS2, you can barely tell the difference between a flip top and the original cover. with the flip top, the swap is faster than the no-solder. the bottom line is, it's all in what YOU want to do, so instead of slamming one and saying "buy this" i'm offering up my experience with both. my personal opinion is go with the flip top, but thats just my opinion. there's a huge flip top thread here, maybe you can get some more info without all the childish BS.
    --cheib and ub2cool4u - c'mon guys, lets be adults here, i dont care if you are 12 or 40, you are judged simply by what you post, how many people will read this childish garbage and actually want to take your advice in the future? I've seen you both offer good advice to people before, lets not let this turn into a 5th grade pissing match.

16. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Yeah I guess you guys are right, this is nothing to be fighting over, we should stop this childish crap. Sorry about my harsh comments :)

17. cheib

cheib Member

Your right darthnip, these forums are something everyone can benefit from and acting like a bunch of kids is not the way to do that so my apologies to everyone.

18. cheib

cheib Member

anyway if anybody is curious I wrote on my original thread that I have installed both the fliptop and the v4 no solder mod chip. The only reason that I have both is because I had originally installed the no solder mod but stopped using it when darthnip said that he had fried a couple of ps2 fuse's and I am not mechanically inclined to try and fix my ps2 so I decided to go with the fliptop which in my opinion is just easier to use, but you can save a couple of bucks by getting the no solder mod.

19. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Is it true that you don't need to have a modchip to play imported games and copied games with the flip top just a swap magic disc. But does it play all of them or just certain ones.

20. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

SEE!!!!!!!!!!! can you feel the love people?!?!
    thats what we are all about here, a little squabble started and ended just as fast, I'm so proud, i promised myself i wouldn't cry, ooh now i'm getting all teary eyed LOL. ok enough of that crap. yeah dude the flip top plays almost anything with just the swap magic discs, i've never tried imports so i have no idea on that, about the only thing it cant play is the games with the double cd checks. I've got over 150 backups and they all work great (cd and dvd). And since there was literally no risk to my PS2 (hot drippy metal), I'm totally happy with my fliptops. now as soon as my matrix chip gets here for my xbox, i'll be one happy camper.

Last edited: May 1, 2003