1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I put linux on my PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by PDOWNZ, Oct 25, 2007.

1. PDOWNZ

PDOWNZ Regular member

I am kind of double minded into putting linux onto my Ps3 i mean can someone point out the positives and the negatives of it...ohh and I don't have a mouse or a keyboard for the PS3...is this an issue?

2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

You are going to need a keyboard and mouse for you to be able to use linux. I can do a lot of things with my linux such as burn cds and dvds, use bittorrent, use my im, it's basically a computer with limited usage. Your not going to be able to play pc games on it but it does teach you linux and can be used as a short term replacement if something ever happens to your pc.

3. PDOWNZ

PDOWNZ Regular member

ok so i have found a mouse but i need a keyboard lol i'l go buy that tommorow...and yellow dog linuz is downloading now so i'll get back to you guys if i need help thanks

4. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Burning CDs and DVDs is possible on a PS3?

5. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

what are the negatives of installing linux?

6. axemurder

axemurder Member

I Second that question

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  7. PDOWNZ

PDOWNZ Regular member

umm...instead of letting the PS3 recognize the otheros.self i let it recognize otherOS.bld...now it goes to install and i get a linux screen with the penguins...but ftyer thats loaded it doesnt do anything and i lose picture please tell me i have'nt screwed up my PS3 please!!!!

8. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Maybe hes talking about with an external USB burner. Cause I know that Sony would never grant their machine's BD-ROM drive the ability to burn discs.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  9. PDOWNZ

PDOWNZ Regular member

ok i successfully installed linux (it was brutal....) now i am trying to figure out if i can change the resolution as i have a picture that is WAY zoomed in and i don;t like it one bit...i was wondering if i could change it....i don;t know how..can any1 help? i have a picture that is full screen and everything but i just have a really zoomed in picture...ohh and i am using a reguar TV w/ composite cables RWY cables