1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I renew Norton

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by mossfan18, Aug 20, 2007.

1. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I just bought a PC about 3 months ago and Norton came installed with a trial version to be renewed later. Well it just expired and I'm not protected, however for $49.00 I can renew the subscription.

Should I renew with Norton or would I be just as safe saving money and going with AVG or Avasst instead?

Thanks!

2. morph988

morph988 Member

I'm using the 2006 version. I've used Norton for about 3 years....every year pretty much. I've never had many problems with intruders or viruses so overall, I'm pretty happy. Only thing that bothers me is how CPU draining it is but I got a dual-core now and don't even notice it. If you use P2P apps, you might want to use Norton 2006 or 2007 because it prevents worms from intruding onto your computer. It pops every now and then and says that it prevented an intrusion worm from getting in or something. But who knows, maybe windows firewall stops those things, too. I really don't know. I'd like to know just how much Norton is preventing as well. I believe it has saved me a number of times from 1) being hacked 2) having an intruder on my PC because I see the alerts.

I've thought about changing but not sure what I'd change to. Good luck.

3. bluecoal

bluecoal Guest

Our home computer is set up with avg and the zonealarm firewall. We have also recently added spywaresweeper. That combination has worked very well for us.

I have family members that really like the Norton products - I have always had a bit of an attitude problem about the amount of system resources they require.

Regards.
    bc

4. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

I suggest getting nod32 and a router forget the software firewall

5. sandman42

sandman42 Regular member

No....I suggest Kaspersky Ant-Virus 7 or Nod32...and Windows Firewall...

Norton SUCKS....I found more Viruses with Kaspersky and Nod32 that slip under Norton...Norton sucks...Also try to avoid Internet Security suites they seem to be low grade compared to General Programs...

Individual Programs are always better...

My Setup:

Ad-aware 2007 (Ad-Aware)
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 (Anti-Virus)
    Webroot Spy Sweeper (SpyWare)
    Spybot Search & Destroy (Good Scanner)
    HiJack This (Good for those deep cleans)

6. jediboy

jediboy Member

When I got my computer in 2003, it came with a trial version of Norton - and when I got a simple trojan, it couldn't even get rid of that. I went with McAfee, and now in addition to that I have Spybot, Adaware, Hijack This, and a few nice miscellaneous programs that help with deep cleans. Norton is also notorious for being a memory hog.

7. morph988

morph988 Member

Forget the software firewall? hahaha, yeah right. You'd have to be crazy not to put a software firewall on your PC. Besides, most are nearly free. I bought one in 2004 for $40 and I still use it. McAfee firewall.

I use these things for keeping my PC protected

Norton 2006 anti-virus
    McAfee Internet security suite (no anti-virus)
    Trojan Hunter (search for trojans)
    Ad-aware
    Trend Micro anti-spyware

I've been pretty good with this setup. No hacks in 3 or 4 years. I also disable a lot of services on windows. Look into that too.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I've always found Norton Antivirus to be dreadful. Plus who hasn't had their PC go awohl on them when it expires and you need to go buy a new version. Pah!. Anyway, my dad and brother both liked Norton, until it let them both down, badly. I've stuck with McAfee Virusscan for the last 5+ years, it's mostly an excellent program. I used to use software firewall's long ago, such as BlackIce etc, but for the longest time now i just keep my antivirus up to date and my routers always have their own defences anyway. Plus i use Linux a lot and while Linux doesn't get viruses in the wild i do run ClamAV just in case..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  9. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member