1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Upgrade my Processor?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by gfhaas, Dec 1, 2004.

1. gfhaas

gfhaas Member

I am currently running a P4 1.6 processor on a Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra Mobo. I believe the chipset is the Sis645. The FSB is running at 400Mhz.

The board will support a P4 2.8 processor running a FSB of 533Mhz. It does not support hyperthreading. The upgraded cpu would cost meabout $160.

My question is whether the upgrade from the P4 1.6 to the P4 2.8 would give me a significant decrease in the rendering time the computer takes when processing video? I like to transfer my video in via firewire and edit it with Pinnacle Studio 9.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Greg Haas
    noemailsallowed@afterdawn.com

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure if your definition of signinficant is the same as mine but in my opinion you'd see a very nice increase in performance and in turn decreased rendering times. A 1.2GHz processor bump and 133MHz FSB bump is a very nice upgrade indeed:)

Also - no posting email addies as per forum rules ;)

3. gfhaas

gfhaas Member

Thank you for the thoughtful comment about my processor. And and also for bringing my attention to the email rule. I will definitely be more careful in future postings.

Regards,
    Greg H.

4. Nephilim

Glad I could help :)

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Pinnacle Studio IS SLOOOOWWWWWWWW. Their rendering times are double or triple the time of Movie Factory or Adobe Premiere. I don't know how long it's taking you now, but it would take me 4 or 5 hours to render a 1 hour video with a P4 2.8GHz 768MB RAM Dell using Studio. Considering you can get a brand new Dell for $400 with a P4 running at 2.8GHz on sale, I don't think $160 for just the chip is worth it. Maybe you can just spend $50 on upgrading your RAM.

6. Nephilim

But he can upgrade to a 2.8 for $160. That's $240 left for cocktails and lapdances! :)

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Not to mention the 400$ Dell is a big piece of S#$& Pardon my french. LOL Go with the upgrade it will help for sure. It can't hurt.

V/R,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

May I also ask what kind and how much memory & what type of video card do you have?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004