1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Upgrade to Vista ?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ofield, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ofield

ofield Regular member

Hi,

I have been using Windows Xp and was wondering if I should
    Upgrade to Windows Vista, because I am not familiar with this new
    OS System.

Or,should I wait and Upgrade Later.

Thanks for any Help...

2. Xoft

Xoft Member

Depends on the power of your computer. Run the Vista Upgrade Advisor to see if your machine is capable of running windows vista first. If you go through and install, once Vista is installed make sure you install the best-of-the-best drivers from www.laptopvideo2go.com (for Nvidia) or www.omegadrivers.net for ATI drivers.

The latest current Nvidia drivers from www.laptopvideo2go.com have a huge performance increase, and is quickly catching up to XP's performance.

XP - Better performance / better drivers

Vista - Better visuals, better usability and functionality, better security, and a better feature-set.

If you get vista, at minimum get Home Premium, I am using Vista Ultimate on a laptop with great performance with the latest drivers and wouldn't switch back to XP if I was given 2 laptops with either operating system.

Do some research for yourself on Vista's advantages if you are still unsure. But I do recemend you upgrade to Vista.

-Covert

3. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

if you have at least 2GB ram then as a vista ultimate user i suggest you to upgrade to vista.i know 1GB is the least requirement but i myself is using a 1GB ram and it becomes really slow when you run multiple apps.well i'm planning on getting a 3GB ram more.plus you can play latest games that are not compatible with xp.

anyway xp is already at its best if you use a 1GB ram.i once have a plan to go back to xp but i think people dont go to vista because of the limited customizations and ram problem.i can afford ram and the compatible tools for the customizations is created already so its good and better than xp for me.

thats what i think anyway.hope you got to make the best choice for your pc somehow..

4. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

If your happy with XP and aren't too good at solving computer problems, driver conflicts, software errors,etc.. than I would you suggest stick with XP if your not ready to encounter some problems and compatibility issues with Vista.

If you really want DirectX10 and Vista's latest bloated feature set, which really isn't too different from XP, than go ahead.
    Only with your specs, Vista's going to be a bit of a system hog, you can expect slower performance than what you were getting with XP.

If your really intent on upgrading, at least upgrade your RAM firstly, cheap way to squeeze a little more performance, and I would also recommend a bigger HD.
    Btw what Graphics card have you got?

5. ofield

ofield Regular member

Thanks for all the input,

I have a GeForce 7300GS 256MB PCI-Express (1DVI / 1VGA) Card/

3GB DDR2 PC5400 Memory

Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz 2M 800Mhz Processor

80GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive with a External 320GB Hard Drive

500 Watt Power Supply

So am I wasting my time with XP and should go ahead and Upgrade?

6. ofield

ofield Regular member

Sorry I didn't mention it I'm Buying a new Desktop and those are the
    Specs, and I have a choive of getting XP with it or Vista at same
    price.

7. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

the specs are good.vista all the way!!!! unless you'll having problems using vista then you should stick with xp.make sure its xp pro.
    btw its not that hard to learn how to use vista.i got used to it in a day only.

8. ofield

ofield Regular member

Thanks,

Ok the choices are between XP Home and Vista Home Basic.
    Or I can choose XP Pro for a additional $50.00

9. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

dont choose xp home.it sucks...its either xp pro or vista home.as a vista user again i recommend you vista but you might want to listen to other people's opinion.

10. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Stay away from Home Basic, with Vista, the least you want is home Premium. XP Home is hardly worse than Professional, i've had both and there is no visual/performance difference... though i do hear it's better at networking, that doesn't matter unless you're a business.

The graphics card you listed (7300 GS) is pretty poor, if you want to play any new games with it then get a better one, not sure how Vista will like it either.

11. Xoft

Xoft Member

12. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Ofield...

Your computer specs are pretty much solid apart from your very low-end graphics card.

I'm guessing that's an OEM model that came with your PC?
    You should really consider upgrading before switching to Vista as it will seriously bottleneck your PC, ESPECIALLY when it comes to games.

Just let me ask you one final question before you decide..

Are you HAPPY with XP?
    If your truly happy with your current performance and functionality with XP and if every thing's in sync and running fine than I would say 9 times out of 10 you DON'T need Vista.

I mean think of it this way, do you NEED a Ferrari just because it's fast and looks good? No, most 4 door sedan will fill that role for you just as well.

If you see nothing that you'd really want to change about XP than don't. Why go through all that trouble and in the end, dislike Vista and then switch back to XP?

13. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

yeah lol Amir89 is right.although i got vista and suggest it to you.personally i still havent decided 100% whether to stay with vista or not.i saw lots of people from all forums loves xp more than vista and that makes me always left in undecidable state.

i want xp but i'm afraid i cant play the game i like in the future and in the end i need vista.but i think xp is better for now,my personal thought though.i want xp but then again i'm afraid not long before i got xp all the xp people would go to vista.

sory for this question,i know its not my thread.
    -do you guys suggest me to with xp(based on my second paragraph??
    -how to know whats my graphic card??and how to know if its good or not to play games or having better graphics??
    -whats the driver is all about??i still dont understand with ATI nad NVPDIA thing??

thnxsx..

14. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

I personally reccomend XP over Vista...with Vista UAC pops up all the time, and booting is slower than XP.

15. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Either is fine, though Vista is future proof.
    High nVidia 7 series and 8 series are all OK for games, just not low end, for example; 7600+, 8600+, though an 8800 card would be best, even the cheapest of which are not in everyones price range. I don't really follow ATI cards, as generally they're worse and you pay more... though the X 1650+, HD 3800+ and HD 2600 XT+ are all good.
    As mentioned above, they're the two main companies that manufacture graphics cards, drivers are constantly updated to help the cards perform as well as they can in games. nVidia uses ForceWare, ATI uses Catalyst.

IMO ATI < nVidia

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  16. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

-well i try installing NVIDIA but it failed.so i install ATi and it worked.how to make the NVIDIA compatible with my pc??
    -how to check my graphic card??

17. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

That means you've got an ATI card, if you want nVidia, then you'll have to buy an nVidia card (GeForce), though you can't just go out and buy any old card, you'll first have to check whether the slot in your computer that takes a graphics card is either AGP or PCI.

To answer your second question, the easiest way is to open up DirectX Diagnostic (dxdiag).

In XP, type "dxdiag" into "Run..." ( Start > Run...) and click OK. In Vista, open "Command Prompt" (Start > All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt), then type "dxdiag" into that and hit enter.

Now, in the window that will come up, click the tab that says "Display", then on that screen you will see a panel to the left, under the heading "Device", your graphics card will be next to "Name:"

18. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

-how to know its AGP or PCI??
    -i need to confirm this again,whats the best nVidia card??and whats the best for ATI??
    -i checked it and here it is - ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO...ok??or not??
    -i saw that the drivers can be installed.can i do that??if i'm not mistaken,it is for improving the graphics and speed??

19. ofield

ofield Regular member

Ok Everybody,

First of all Thanks for all the Help. This is the Configuration
    I decided on:

XP PRO

Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz 2M 800Mhz Processor

3GB DDR2 PC5400 Memory

160GB 7200 RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive

320GB 7200 RPM Usb External Hard Drive

20X Lightscribe DVDRW Dual Layer Drive

I Already Own a External Single Layer DVDRW Drive

GeForce 7300GS 256MB PCI-Express (1DVI/1VGA)

Is there Anything I Missed? Thanks again for all the Help...

20. ofield

ofield Regular member

Hi,
    Sorry forgot to mention I also got a 500 Watt Power Supply.