1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I use this media to burn?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Z3120, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I desperately want to play some of my games, but from what I've been hearing; I'm a bit nervous. So using such media brands like Memorex will drive my PS2 to an early funeral? Well, I've definitely took that into account and I genuinely believe every word of it so from what I've heard, such replacements, like Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell, are mainly spoken of but I can't really wait for those at the moment... so I was wondering if using my Sony [AccuCore] 16x DVD+r's would be significant and won't put a burden as bad as Memorex onto my PS2's laser but just as good as the top, high quality brands people have been using. Anyone have a clue or an idea they could suggest? Anything would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S> Here's the Disc Info and I've looked through dozens of threads with no luck of the answer I've been looking for or it definitely could be user error on my part, sorry.

Disc Info:

TDK DVDRW880N 1.37 (ATA)
    Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,295,104
    Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
    Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
    Disc ID: SONY-D21-00
    Book Type: DVD+R
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

2. hursty

hursty Active member

who said bad media will wear out the laser?
    those disk should be ok,but you wont know until you try them

3. steimy

steimy Active member

"who said bad media will wear out the laser? "
    LOL, I do for sure. You never want to use Memorex (memosux)
    they are one of the worst discs on the planet.
    Sony is kind of a hit or miss. they work well for some people but not others.

4. hursty

hursty Active member

hehehe,steimy
    i dont think bad media is bad for the laser as much,as nobody gets the chance to test and prove that theory,as bad media doesnt often load games,thus its impossible to prove...i think that makes some sort of sense.
    as for memorex,its bad in the sense that,using those disk's,will probably cause you to have a game that doesnt load,thus in turn,cant possibly cause damage to the laser...hehehe.

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Thanks you guys, I deeply appreciative the info. Oh and hursty, about where I heard it from; I actually read it somewhere around here though it probably/could be user error/misinterpretation on my part too, my bad. Guess I'll go play for now but if I have to reburn my games over and over again because of the media and or my slim PS2 dies within a shorter duration than my fat PS2, I'll be posting... when the time arrives.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, if you can get cheap media to work then they are just not going to last as long as quality media, they use cheap dye that just wears out sooner.

Hursty, they way i origianlly heard about the whole laser issue was that people, like myself, were getting games to burn and work on cheap media. But i was told that the laser had to work harder to read the DVD's with cheap dye and would cause them to burn out sooner.
    I am ashamed to admit then when i first started i used Imation discs which are about 1 step above Memorex. They worked fine but i did not want to take any chances.

7. hursty

hursty Active member

yeah,i know what you mean
    i try not to use cheap disk's,and would never advise anyone to do so.
    you are right in saying poor disk's may cause the laser to work a bit harder,but whether this actually wears out the laser life,i dunno?.
    mine has had all sorts thrown at it,i have never cleaned it.but then again,i dont sit at the tv hours on end playing it. :)

8. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, wish i had time myself for those couple hour long gaming sessions, but i just don't. Which is probably why i still have the old V7 in working condition as a back up to the V12.
    I think i have as many games that i have not played as some people have games total. ;)

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

SONY is decent, but I prefer YUDEN, Verbatim or Hitachi Maxell (MIJ). You'll be better off "booktyping" any of your DVD+R into DVD-ROM, so your PS2 can read them easier as well.

10. keltin29

keltin29 Member

I just bought a 25 pack spindle of these very same Sony DVD+R discs. I was looking for Verbatim, but they were out so I opted for the Sony discs. They’re pretty darn good. In fact, they are rated in the Top 5 for first class media.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I was helping someone else here the other day with an burn of the PS2 game Resident Evil 4. Here is the thread.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/458714

Of particular interest are the disc quality scans I did of the original disc and a burn on the Sony DVD+R. The Sony burn had a quality scan nearly identical to the original disc! So yeah, I say these are pretty good discs. :)

http://i16.tinypic.com/2edz7eg.jpg

11. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Thanks to all that decided to provide more info. It really helps! I'll be using the other comp with the LITE-ON burner to burn these since the one I've been using on a daily basis has some kinky issues at the moment. Oh, and as far as where I heard about cheap media wearing out the laser, well, from what I overheard and read, I just didn't want to take the chance and became really paranoid and cautious. I mean, it's not like I'm expecting my PS2 to last as long as my old fat v3. PS2 that's still running, btw, with the exception of having slight trouble with old PSX games and blue-sided CD-R PS2 games, it's fine. The reason for my uh... dilenma(?) would be that I didn't want it dying in a short few months or a year instead of the few extra years it could have had if I used better media, that's all...

To keltin29, and yes, I used digitalfaq and videohelp towards making a decision. And thanks for the scans! I got similiar results too =D

Last comment: Well, I'll be testing my 16x Sony DVD+Rs for the moment. If my PS2 decides to die out early or has trouble running, I'll be reposting here for further comments but until then, I'll be playing.

12. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

A few weeks later, after almost nearly flawless runs on multiple burnt games, I've been noticing some very noticeable skips and slight lag times lately. (play time intervals were the same - less then 2 hours each time) I even had a similar problem where I tried to get asmodean's version of TOA to work but I couldn't strangely because until I replaced a few files, my laser just wouldn't stop over-reaching and trying to read the data near the rims; but even then, I believe the loading times were actually worse compared to my original. Then I asked a close friend of mine for a Taiyo-Yuden disc he recently gotten and the problem automatically solved what was occuring on the media I have been using before. I'll repost the exact question on the previous thread I made a few days ago.

Anyway, to those using a Silver slim-line v.15 PS2 (SCH-77001), I don't recommend the discs I've been using. If you've played with your PS2 open like I have, you'll actually hear a gradual reduction of reading speed from my laser. You know how your laser usually runs normally and spins and reads the data on the disc between an exact number of intervals and goes precisely round and round without really stopping unless it's trying to load a cinematic or something large? Strangely, it's having a hard time processing whatever data it's trying to read, getting progressively worse the last week or 2. But that's just me perhaps. Just posting this for future readers who have a similar problem with this particular media.

13. Amanda916

Amanda916 Member

Z1230,

Do you mean that you don't recommend Sony DVD+R dics or which other ones? DVD+R are the only discs my silver slim V15 can read and I am using Sony and Maxell 16x brand after trying Verbatime DVD-R and couldn't play it on my PS2. I can back up with DVD-R, it's my PS2 that refuses to recognize that disc format. I have Sony DRU800A burner and can't even booktype Sony or Maxell DVD+R disc when using DVD Decrypter. I do notice that the laser seems to be working harder playing backup games too, like it has to search longer. But the games work perfectly for me so far, so I'll just stick with what works.

14. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

There's a stickie here that actually doesn't recommend using the 16x RW type of discs when backing up games, but at the time, I was desperate when I first made this thread and wanted to eagerly play the games I've backed-up so I requested aid by asking if this would work well enough. There hasn't been much of a problem with using the ones that I have been currently using, the Sony 16x DVD+R, other then the fact, until lately; the game I was currently playing actually looked slower progressively over the course of the few weeks I've been playing it. Maybe it's just that location, who knows, but I didn't want to risk it any further and did what I did to fix it.

However, I don't really have the time nor resources to test this problem out, so unless someone is willing to spend the time and check, it'll be unanswered for quite some time. Strangely, I forgot if I mentioned it here previously, but I do know I said it in another thread, (I think) that the reason could be a lot of factors.

Maybe it's the new v15 sliver slim PS2 I've been using that's quite picky with what media to use, whether it's a DVD-R or DVD+R; the purple dye of these Sony 16x DVD+Rs I've been using could be causing more strain then usual compared to the clear silver dye the Taiyo-Yuden disc on it; the version of my Swap Magic, which is a v3.8 coder, because strangely enough, my friend has had better luck with his black slim PS2 or another friend with his fatty that has a custom fliptop, both using SM 3.6, was able to play this specific game, "Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria," without the need to rebuild or do a TOC refresh unlike the silver slim PS2 I have; the fact it could be the PS2 getting overheated and couldn't get ventilated properly because the lid on my PS2 is open (which I'll soon adjust) causing it slow down its progress; for all I know, there's a lot to account for; but for now, I've actually managed to play the same exact game I've been trying to play without having to reduce the TOC by compression, asmodean's TOA, with this Taiyo-Yuden disc I've gotten, compared to the Sony 16X DVD+R that couldn't even past the loading screen cause the laser wouldn't reach out far enough. Same sized iso burnt, different media, one managed to work flawlessly; the other couldn't even pass the starting line without help.

Anyway, to those that have a similar problem as mine, try doing a media switch; try a different burner, one that's preferrably better; try rebuilding the same iso with different progs like the gnieiml.v4, expert 1.05, apache 2 or 3, CD/DVD Gen or anything else; however, it's really what you want to do to get it to work. When I tried to compressed the iso, perhaps removed/replaced/edited a file/s, or just tinkering with the numbers in the cmd 'dos' prompt in my windows xp, I managed to downsample the iso and get a respectable running one with the 16x Sony DVD+Rs, which is in itself a lot of trouble and hassle to begin with, but I wanted to play it so oh well; it was worth it to me.

To Amanda: booktyping either your DVD-R or DVD+R media to DVD-Rom improves readability, compatability and durability of your laser to process the data it's trying to read. Trust me, booktyping can only help like one kind stranger said to me. It's too bad I don't remember his name but steimy and hursty helped me a lot granted I only browsed what they were helping others with. If you're worried, don't be. I mean, if it works for you, congratulations, but I don't want to risk anything so early so I'm taking this alternative route; and since it's working and manageable, I'll continue to do so because it works better imo. And yes, I believe it is your burner that doesn't support the booktyping function that you can't do so. Just compare a DVD+R game to a booktyped DVD-ROM game, one worked splendidly compared to the failure, just guess which one.

(my bad, long rant)