1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Xbox be Horizontal or Vertical? Best way to keep cool?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by leftynutz, Jun 9, 2007.

1. leftynutz

leftynutz Member

Just got an xbox, and was wondering what was the best way to prolong the life of the xbox, have it vertical or horizontal?

I heard bad stuff about the intercooler? any other suggestions to keep the xbox cool?

Surfing the forums and couldn't find any answers.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

just think, standing the consold up lets it be more open to air, and less area is covered in carpet, or what ever surface you have it on, so put it up.

4. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

it doesnt matter, it is more important to make sure you dont put it on carpet or in a intertainment center. if you do it will recirculate hot air and cause it to over heat.
    lay it in a open area where it can breath good and dont set any other device on top of it and it will be fine.

5. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

from experience when vertical it is noisy and sounds like scratching discs!

horizontal it shuts up and doesn't scratch anything! but don't switch horizontal or vertical while the disc is in drive and spinning or it will scratch!

6. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

use a fan stand to keep it cool. i got one for $20. it uses usb for power and blows cool air into the xbox. i noticed a big difference when i started using it

7. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Dosent matter its a faulty piece of......my bad just mad because I have to buy another:(

8. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

doesnt really matter, mine is vertical away from the wall so it can have good air flow.

9. leftynutz

leftynutz Member

Thanks for the advice, I have it in the open on top of the entertainment center vertically.

Could you point out an example of a usb powered fan? i rather buy a fan with a separate power source (not connected to the xbox to give it less stress). it is best to have it pointed directly toward the back of the xbox huh?

10. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

yeah buy a fan with separate powersource. the fan should be pulling out the air from the back! pull out of 360's back.

someone who has vertical try putting it horizontal and see if it is a bit silent!

11. leftynutz

leftynutz Member

so I should buy a fan and have it blow away from the back of the xbox?

12. spartan57

spartan57 Member

I kept my first 360 in an entertainment system and the heat killed it

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ha9981, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP.
    4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

spartan57, edit that link out of your sig ASAP.
    2. Linking to pyramid schemes and other forms of "free <place-your-product-here> schemes" is stricly prohibited (see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/207101 )

14. steimy

steimy Active member

I personally can tell you a few things that will help.
    1. put the 360 horizantal (vertical can always give you problems with scratching discs much easier). Make sure it is not on carpet, if it is then take an old VHS video tape and put it directly under the center of the console. This will keep it off the carpet and allow for good airflow.
    2. keep the house cool, the hotter that house is the hotter your 360 will get no matter what else you do.
    3. you can get a Talismoon LED fan and replace the stock one. It moves more air, is quiter, works better than all those so called "coooler" add on products which are pure junk, and of course has a cool LED glow coming from your console vents.