1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink 3.2.0.15 messed up PowerDVD playback?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by peanutty, Mar 31, 2005.

1. peanutty

peanutty Member

Hello:

I'm hoping someone can help me...been pulling out my hair trying to figure this one out:

I was using Shrink v3.1.7 without any problems, and then decided to upgrade to v3.2.0.15. Ever since then, a few of the dvd's I've played in Cyberlink PowerDVD (v5) show slightly jerky video -- and the really odd thing is it only happens in the last few chapters or so. (The beginning and middle chapters are fine.)

Also, even though this problem occurs when I'm playing the dvd straight from my player (before I even run it through Shrink), I'm convinced that the new version of Shrink must somehow be involved because the upgrade was the only change I had made to my system. (I had never had this problem with previous versions of Shrink in the past.)

I've ascertained that it's not a hardware problem, as I've also tried playback in my 2nd drive (and it still shows the same jerky video in the same chapters). It's also not a disc surface problem because it's been happening in other dvd's, as well.

And, again, this all started occuring after I upgraded to Shrink 3.2.0.15 -- I'm convinced that maybe Shrink installed some file that's screwing up my comp's video output.

I've already tried going back to the previous version (3.1.7.6) and that didn't fix it. I also tried XP's System Restore and that didn't work either.

Anyone experience a similar problem or have any suggestions I can try? I've already googled like crazy trying to find an answer, and nothing. I'm really hoping someone here can shed some light.

Thanks a lot!

2. deedeebee

deedeebee Guest

The jerkiness you see during playback is a common symptom of the IDE channels' transfer mode not being set to DMA. These could have changed somehow. Look to see which transfer mode each is set for right now.

3. colw

colw Active member

It is quite common for people to infer software problems for problems that are essentially due to a malfunctioning interface between the keyboard and the chair.

There are very many variables involved in DVD burning.

Listed below is my recipe for successful DVD burning - Have burnt between 500 and 1000 without any major burning or playback problems.

People are free to accept or reject this advice - it is not prescriptive, merely advisory and has worked very well for me.

1. Do not use labels on burnt media.
    2. Keep your hard drive defragmented.
    3. Ensure you have plently of free hard disk space.
    4. Ensure you do not have sypware/virus on your system.
    5. Keep you start up menu lean and clean.
    6. Use a program such as HijackThis to ensure your start up log is lean and clean.
    7. Avoid conflicting programs on your system e.g., Nero/Roxio do not play well together - choose one only.
    8. Avoid the use of packet writing software e.g, INCD, Direct CD.
    9. Avoid multi-tasking when ripping/encoding/burning.
    10. Do not install problematic programs such as Interactual Movie Player and remove from system if installed.
    11. Do not burn too fast (max 4x recommended).
    12. Ensure definitions for virus and spyware programs are up to date.
    13. Avoid burning unnecessary extras - do movie only in reauthor mode if using DVD Shrink
    <http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm>.
    14. Use brand name, quality players for burning - e.g., Plextor, Pioneer, Lite-On etc.
    15. Use an el cheapo Asian/Chinese standalone for playback - they are much more versitile and reliable than name brands and normaly handle both PAL and NTSC formats.
    16. Use quality DVD media - Ritek, Verbatim, TY's recommended.
    17. Reduce target size of burnt DVD to approx 4400 if using DVD Shrink.
    18. Store safely and keep away from children.
    19. Be very wary of downloaded movies - in most cases they are not worth the time or effort to reproduce.
    20. Ensure that DMA mode is enabled in your system settings.
    21. Load and skip through chapters on computer DVD player (e.g, Power DVD, WinDVD) prior to burning.

4. peanutty

peanutty Member

I just checked and both my primary and secondary IDE channels are set to "DMA if available." However, while Device 0 has "Ultra Mode DMA 5" listed as the Current Transfer Mode, Device 1 lists "Not Applicable." (They're both set to Auto Detection.) The secondary channel has "Ultra Mode DMA 2" for both Device 0 and 1.

Would that be something?

5. peanutty

peanutty Member

colw, thanks for the list -- and I've checked off everything.

It's really quite a bizarre problem -- that it happens in the same exact chapters in the later half of a movie. A scratched disc surface would be the safe assumption, but that it occurs in a few other dvd's as well makes this very odd.

Thanks again for any help.

6. deedeebee

deedeebee Guest

Peanutty, those setting look good, so it must be something else causing the problem. You would be seeing jerkiness throughout the entire disc if were a problem with your controller settings.

Hopefully some of the more experienced members will be along to offer more suggestions.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@peanutty - are you seeing the jerkiness only on PC playback, or on burnt dvd's also. ie it could be your pc playing silly beggars upon playback..

@colw - nice checklist; all of which are obvious and common sense, but excellent to see in one list. It should be in a 'sticky' but newbs wouldn't read it ..

8. peanutty

peanutty Member

creaky, I have yet to burn it. The video will be part of a compilation DVD, and I haven't been able to assemble all the clips together. I am hoping, though, that it's just the playback on my PC that's causing the problem and that it'll be fine on a standalone player.

Regardless, it's still very puzzling to me why I'm even having this issue in the first place. My computer is only a year old, I've been ripping/burning/playing with Shrink/Nero/PowerDVD flawlessly many many times....then the only change I made was upgrading Shrink, and this occurs.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005