1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink 3.2.1 - impossible to get it.(?)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Discmania, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Can anyone help. I'm finding it impossible downloading and opening the new Shrink 3.2.1. From this site I keep getting warned that it's an HTML file for some strange reason. From Doom9 I can't open the zip after downloading - 'invalid' file is all I get with winzip. From another site I can't even download it: 'forbidden' is the wonderful welcome that awaits. Even from Shrink's official site there is no direct download button (why on earth not?) What the hell is going on?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean Shrink 3.1.2? I just now downloaded and installed it from AD. Should work.

3. drchips

drchips Active member

Discmania,

I feel sorry for you, you MAY have been "rooted"....

You SEEM have picked up a nasty little bit of javascript from somewhere that has been installed in your system automatically (there are plenty of malicious sites that will do that to you).

Depending on how experienced you are in bug tracing you MAY be able to winkle it out.

Quite often the best solution is a wipe and re-install.

To avoid that sort of thing happening, install the correct security tools (firewall, real-time cookie cleaner, popup killer, anti-hijack scanner, antivirus, anti-trojan scanner etc. etc.)

I have seen way too many systems like that.

I wish you Luck...

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

DrChips - I have Norton antivirus pro, Norton Cleansweep and Spybot search & destroy all installed. Also I only get this problem when trying to open the latest Shrink zip and no others. I constantly get the message, 'cannot open zip - it does not appear to be a valid archive, try downloading again'. Of course downloading again produces the same message. Any help greatly appreciated.

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  7. drchips

drchips Active member

Discmania,
    Sorry, but the fact that you have managed to get it now does not mean that you don't have a problem.

The above quote claiming an HTML when it OBVIOUSLY is a zip, you can see it SAYS it is a zip, is a classic symptom.

A later post says
    The problem manifestation symptoms have changed!!
    Is a classic symptom.

Norton antivirus pro, Norton Cleansweep and Spybot search & destroy wont even NOTICE it.

Do you have JavaScript support enabled in your browser?
    Have you locked it down?

It is a classic "Browser Exploit", using I.E. to execute the code.

first time round it says a zip is HTML....
    next time round it corrupts the download...
    next time round you can't even view the page...
    next time round, back to the corrupt zip problem.

From the time of your first post, myself and at least 2 others had successfully downloaded & checked it when you could not!!

I suspect you MIGHT STILL have a problem, it just may not be showing itself at the moment.

Good Luck....

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

You get "HTML file" from most of the sites nowadays if you have some """privacy protection application""" installed that blocks your HTTP_REFERER (which tells for the page the previous page you came from -- in this case, when you click download button on our site, the downloaded file itself knows that previous page was from AfterDawn.com). Why this is so?

Because we (and I assume ddigest and d9 as well) deliver 1-4 terabytes of data each month in form of downloads and if we wouldn't check this referer, anyone could link from their pages directly to software hosted on our servers, thus costing us big money and not gaining us anything (in form of page impressions and ad impressions).

When you "download HTML file", I recommend you to actually read it, most of the sites to have similar system installed (most of the big sites do) explain in that HTML what is wrong and why this happened and what you can do to prevent it from happening.

9. drchips

drchips Active member

Whooo!! Da Boss, Hiya...

(START_CORNY_MAFIA_ACCENT)
    Please Boss, I ain't arguing wiv ya, but I gotta do my duty an' pipe up, don't hit me Boss, please, it wuz Louie The Lip wot made me do it Boss ;-)
    (END_CORNY_MAFIA_ACCENT)

Agreed, HTTP_REFERER filtering works/is used that way (I have seen sites/routines that change it to HTTP_PEFERER or some other random letter) - that COULD account for the first instance.

But in no way could it account for the successful (sic) download of a zip file that subsequently proves to be corrupt.

Not from multiple sites (download sources), at multiple times.

Admittedly the zip file MIGHT be corrupt at a particular site (or even a few if they are synchronised mirrors, the seed file is corrupt and you time it wrong).

But if that was so then I and the two others would have been able to reproduce the problem, we could not.

If a "user" had a corruption problem with a "file" held centrally on a "network" but other "users" did not, where would you look for a problem:
    the "network"?
    the "file"?
    the "user" having the problem?
    everywhere else?

I know which makes sense to me.

Have Fun...

10. dRD

I would assume that if there's a corrupted ZIP file, its been distributed from one source and all the other sites have simply downloaded it from there and added it to their own sites, thus propagating the problem further.

11. drchips

drchips Active member

True,

But myself, Nephilim and MysticE all downloaded it successfully within the time period that Discmania was having the "corrupt zip" problem.

Nephilim from AD.
    MysticE from dvdr-digest
    Myself from doom9 (I checked the same one that Discmania tried)

I suppose that it is a small but non-zero probability that the file replication was in the throes of an update and we were all seeing a different version of the file (something like the Google-Dance), just fortuitous timing?

Do you think the probability of that being so is significant?

Apply Occam's Razor...

Have Fun...

12. dRD

Yep, in that case there might be something like very old version of WinZip or just plain connection problems that cause some problems with the file.

13. drchips

drchips Active member

And in Discmania's final post he managed to get the file ok.

I wonder if he re-installed or upgraded his zip utility between first and last posting? Probability?

Now, a dodgy connection IS a possible culprit, I will grant, though it would have to be intermittant as HTTP was working well enough for him to post to the forum without problem (I assume, because he did not mention any problem posting and he was "in the groove" for noticing such at the time).

I would tend to give a member of Discmania's status the benefit of the doubt when considering his ability to notice his computer acting funny, if it played up, he would have noticed, I am sure; and having noticed, would have said so.

BTW Boss, on a more personal note, I have a thread running:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65500

Could you have a look and let me know if it is appropriate.
    Are my expectations a bit high?

Your comments appreciated.

Have Fun...

14. Discmania

Discmania Active member

DaBoss- thanks for the help. I use Winzip v8.1 so it should normally be OK but nothing's perfect I suppose. In actual fact I prompted for the download from AD to go ahead anyway in the hope I could turn it from an HTML into an exe. file (not actually sure about that!) but it then refused to download anyway saying 'problem'. When I managed a 'download' from another site there was infact nothing in the zip to open and that's when I got the above message.

drchips - thanks for the advice. I do have javascript active and I have checked in all the Java files for anything suspicious but cannot find anything. I do not want to disable Java unnecesarily since it is essential for other programmes to work. I did find one spybot after scanning and have removed it. Whether that was the problem I don't know and where it came from I don't know since I like to keep my system spyware free, but I can quite understand that if one downloaded zip refuses to open then downloading it again from another site will just give the same result. In actual fact even though it had seemingly downloaded there was nothing actually there to open when winzip was prompted into action. Anyway I have now gotten round the problem, though quite how is still a bit of a mystery because I just used a different download link refered by someone else. It seems the problem is now sorted some how for Shrink but will keep an eye out for any similar issues.