1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink 317 pause/skip due to layer break??

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by magicwad, May 7, 2004.

1. magicwad

magicwad Member

Hey all,

I've noticed on a couple of my backup copies done w/ shrink 317 that in the middle of the movie there is a 3 second or so pause/skip. I read in some other forum a while back that the way shrink handles the layer break on the original dvd may cause a skip. Wondering if others have experienced this or if it is just me...also wondering if I should rip first with decrypter or smartripper, though i've heard there are some occasional problems with that method as well...Thanks

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

Been rippin' and burnin' with DVD Shrink since version 2.2 - I've never seen an incident like you've described with over 250 DVDs backups.

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Shrink actually has a setting to remove the layer break. The layer break can be removed because you are recording to a single layer disc. Try playing the copy in your computer and see if the pause is still there. It may just be a bit of incompatibility betwwen the copy and the DVD player.

Using Smartripper or Decrypter is usually done if Shrink cannot rip the movie in question, not because of a glitch in the playback. I always say go for it when it comes to trying new things though! That's the best way to learn, right?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  4. Noel

Noel Guest

I've also noticed a similar thing on some movies. Not sure if it was the layer break. On mine it locked up completly and I would have to jump to the next chapter and then come back to just a few seconds after the lock point. Using good media and a Pioneer DVR106 burner (original firmware), rip with DVD decrypter to ISO then process with Shrink all latest versions.

I will have a look at the discs sometime with Nero surface scan and also if the computer locks at the same point. My LG standalone player is about 2 years old so I thought it might be just a bit fussy as it it is not supposed to play DVD R media (although it does). It will actually only play DVD+R properly, DVD-R will not play the first 3 minutes or access menues.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

A layer break is a normal part of a DVD-9 and shouldn't be a problem for any program thats designed to rip it.
    This all sounds like when I used to play my copys in my playstation. They would skip and freeze etc. Was it a bad burn? No. My copys were just not compatible. They play just fine in my other DVD players. There were two ways to solve this; 1. Find media that was compatible with the PS. 2. Quit using the PS as a DVD player. I chose #2, but I did find that Verbatim +R media burned at less than 4X would play perfectly.