1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink / All discs eject, unable to backup/ program freeze

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by coolash, Jun 2, 2004.

1. coolash

coolash Member

Greetings. I did try in vain to search for this problem in the archives. I'm pretty new to DVD shrink. I'm using 3.1.7 with Nero, WIN XP. I've backed up several of my DVD's with no problem whatsoever. I backed up Last Samurai and managed to do it, but at some point during the process (i think it was after the backup but before burning) I got a blue screen with a bunch of crazy information, the only part of which I remember was "physical memory dump". I was pretty worried because my computer appeared to have crashed. I shut down manually and everything started fine and I burned the disc which also works fine.

Now the fun part.

I try to backup a different disc. Analyse works fine but when I press the "backup" button the DVD starts to spin in the drive and the drive ejects the disc. Then the backup DVD options screen comes up in DVD shrink. Once I select "O.K." an error message comes up that says that DVD shrink has encountered a problem and must shut down. This has occured with multiple DVD's. I tried reinstalling DVDShrink. No good. I erased the program and all components including past analysis and re-downloaded the program and then reinstalled and it still did not work. I tried to open Nero to work with an unencrypted disc and IT ejected the disc as soon as I opened the program. It's almost as if any program that has to do with backup of any kind will result in the ejection of any commercially obtained DVD. I simply cannot get the DVD to stay in the drive when using one of these programs. The DVD's play fine on my computer and as I said before analysing them is no problem.

What in the heck should I do?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Not sure what's goin' on in shrink, I do know if you do something unacceptable it will always "encounter a problem" and close. I can suggest another way around. Get DVD43 (it's free), this will de-encrypt, then open Nero( I'm assuming you have 6) and go to Recode 2. You can now do what you did in shrink . I suggest leaving menu alone, unlike shrink, disabling parts in recode will not destroy the source menu. Plus it doesn't take up that much room. Another plus in recode is you can compress up to 50% with no noticable video quality loss. Most of the time I do the entire disc leaving in the special features. If it's to much compression then u can decide what to keep using the preview slider. Good luck... [​IMG]

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Oooopppss, you've been too many games and such on Mr. Computer and Mr. Computer is full.

You are going to start "Crashing" pretty often now - In order to play with DVD Backups you'll need a minimum of 8 Gig to 11 Gig free.

That's not all, at about 95% capacity your PC won't have room to move around to do your bidding.

So to figure, you must calculate 95% of your HD PLUS the minimum of 8 Gig to 11 Gig to start doing the DVD thing. I heartily recommend you free up a bunch more.

If you are running a small HD, consider getting a 40GB external HD to connect to your 2.0 USB port.

AFTER you do all this, run Defrag, you'll need to clean house well -

Ya just can't feed a full Puppy.

Once you've made some room, should something like this occur, trade up to a better grade of media - Find media information here in our threads -

Cheers,

Pete

PS. Right now I wouldn't worry about DVD43, Adding another program could be a bad thing if Mr. PC tries to make it fit, at one point, everything will "Freeze" and it won't "un-Freeze" -

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1[/small]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  4. coolash

coolash Member

O.K., well none of that works. I'm currently using a demo version of Nero6 and I don't think the recode 2 function is available. Maybe I'm missing it. Aside from that, the drive ejects any commercially available DVD as soon as I attempt to launch Nero.

My hard drive currently has 15 gigs of free space and I defrag constantly.

Any other suggestions?

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

no recode 2 on Trial version. Pete makes a good point tho, I've got 80G and I'm adding another 120 on an external HD just for video work. Man, this stuff eats up free space like Jaws. One thing you could do is go into search and make sure you don't have a bunch of folders hiding eating up free space. It amazes me how video folders get lost in the shuffle. 15 gigs ain't a lot to work with when one movie can take up 10. Plus your PC needs room to work with.I've also heard that the trial version can be a little squirrely(don't know, I bought the retail version to begin with). [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  6. coolash

coolash Member

sorry, but I can't buy it. Pro audio is my job and I work with huge files all the time. If my computer is full, how come I can put 10 gigs of fresh audio on right now? That program is working fine, as are all others.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  7. coolash

coolash Member

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Translation: "Sorry Honey, I'm full. Bla@$&% - - Ooopps, I'll clean it up later" -

9. coolash

coolash Member

So what your saying is that basically with a gig of RAM and 15 gigs free on my hard drive, it's just flat not enough to put 4.4 gigs of information on my hard drive and that this is the reason my dvd drive will eject any commercially available discs upon attempting to do so? Am I missing something?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Nope - you're right -

I stand corrected -

continue on -

11. coolash

coolash Member

I'm not wanting to ascribe right or wrong to anybody, including myself. I just am pointing out that I fail to understand how it could be the case taking into consideration that currently my HD has 15 gigs free/ 1 gig of Ram as well as that I do defrag on a very regular basis. I don't have a bunch of games either. I don't keep programs that I don't use on my computer.

If it is the case, I really would like an explaination as to why, because I don't understand. I have no problems backing up my "backup dvd's". Shrink handles them fine. I have no need to be right.

I just easily used SmartRipper v2.41 to back up a disc to my computer but I don't know where to go from there. I'll work that out on my own through reading. Point being is that there is plenty of space to do so and my computer is not crashing.

12. coolash

coolash Member

O.K., so for anyone interested, I found the solution on my own. I was beginning to think that this was just a problem with my burner because this evening I tried to backup some audio I'm working on and was unable to do so in Nero. The blank disc ejected both upon opening Nero and upon trying to burn a data disc. Something that I saw on a different forum sort of jarred my memory regarding a system restore. I simply restored my system back to the day before I backed up Last Samurai and voila! Nothing more to talk about.

13. ms_twana

ms_twana Member

Okay, I'm having a little bit of the same problem. Shrink ejects my disc when I press backup (after the RCE screen). When I reinsert the disc and select my target device, I receive the error that Shrink has encountered a problem and will shut down. Then it closes. I also noticed that when I insert a new DVD and open shrink, under the select DVD drive menu it still has the name of the previous DVD. Any ideas on what's going on or suggestions on what to do?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi ms_twana, Welcome to the Club -

Let's try to uninstall DVD Shrink, reboot to make sure it's out of your system THEN reinstall, again reboot to let it settle in then try your backing up again -

cheers,

Pete

15. ms_twana

ms_twana Member

That didn't work Pete. Any other suggestions???

16. coolash

coolash Member

Well, I'm not saying that it's what you should do but what I did was restore my system back to a time that I knew DVD Shrink was working and that stopped the problem of DVD Shrink shutting down upon backup. Additionally, I had to update the firmware on my drive and that solved the problem of discs ejecting. No problems at all since then. I'm no expert but this is what worked for me.

Good Luck.

17. ms_twana

ms_twana Member

Coolash, "update the firmware on my drive ", what does that mean? How do I do that?

18. coolash

coolash Member

Honestly, I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else could explain it? I was directed by tech support on my drive. It worked for me, that's all I'm saying.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ms_twana,

That was our next step - updating your firmware-

Find your DVD burner here and locate the firmware for it -

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Then check your firmware to see if it’s up-to-date -

At the bottom of the page click on “What’s my firmware -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Follow the directions and you’ll be all set -

We also want to put in ForceASPI 1.7 -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/frcaspi.cfm

When you’re done that, let’s see how you’re doing then -

Pete

20. ms_twana

ms_twana Member

Thanks everyone. I finally got it. I just uninstalled everything dealing with burning (nero, decrypter, and shrink), rebooted, reinstalled shrink, rebooted, then tried backup again. That worked!! But now my problem is the new version of Nero. Is there a guide for that yet? That version is confusing. It wont let me click the "burn" button. Anyone know how to use it, or should I just chalk it up and buy the previous version?