1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink alone is all you need or DVD Decrypter also?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by babagano, Mar 4, 2005.

1. babagano

babagano Member

I've been using DVD X Copy Plat. to backup DVDs. When I needed to make a copy of one of these backups using Nero, I wasn't able to - some sort of data corruption? I know that you can't copy a backup using dvd x copy.

So I found this site and saw how it recommends dvd decrypter and shrink. I've been using both - rip it with dvd decrypter then make the DVD with shrink (with some amount of compression).

1) Shrink rips on it's own also?! Why bother with Decrypter?

2) Why make the distinction of dvd5 and dvd9? I've just thrown disks into the drive, let decrypter rip it and then shrink compresses if needed.... or sometimes it'll be at 100%. Am I doing something wrong / setting up a problem later?

THANKS!

2. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

1.Shrink rips on it own, but sometimes you get disc's that Shrink won't do, that's where DvdDecryptor comes in. Like with the newer movies like The forgotten, RE 2.....

2.The distinction between Dvd5 and 9 is that when you try and fit a Dvd9 on a 5 you have to compress the heck out of it, which diminishes the quality.
    Most of the time I just Re-author it or switch the extra's and such to blanks. I try and keep my compression to 30% max "70% compression noted in shrink" but to each their own.That's with AEC settings and Deep Analysis.

If the dvd doesn't need compression, since you use Decryptor you could just Iso-Mode-Read, then Iso-Mode-Write and not even worry about shrink.

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

babagano, what to you use for a burning rom? Besides ripping, Decrypter also burns and works with shrink without having to open it seperately. Also, OU812Ono mentioned that shrink isn't able to rip any tristar/columbia releases since late december on its own. You can rip these with devrypter first and then open the file in shrink if you need to re-author or compress and then burn it as usual. The fact that decrypter is free is also a plus. Great program for DL backups, too.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  4. chopatha

chopatha Member

Hey there, new to this...is it ok for me to just join in with my own question on this subject? I have shrink and decrypter. I've been backing-up my dvds fine until one that I cant encode in shrink. Then I downloaded decrypter and ripped it with that so how do I burn in shrink now(too big for encrypter) - it doesn't seem to recognise the files when I try to open them and I've tried a few things like using the iso option in shrink to burn with encrypter with no success...

5. chopatha

chopatha Member

Ok, got it sorted! Thankyou Wolfniggr - found the answer from a reply you made on another forum. As soon as I opened file as iso image it was smooth flying from there on in. Coolio.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello babagona, Those dvd-9 movies will have to be compressed anyways,so I just skip the dvd decrypter stage,except on a few of the newer encryptions.

Dvd shrink and nero are all I use on 95% of my original backup copies. Nero express-disc copy feature is all I use when I want to make extra copies.To use this combo on the newer encryptions, this is where anydvd running in the background comes in. It helps dvd shrink to pull off that newer encryption so shrink can slide right through it.I can get a high quality reproduced backup in 20 to 30 minutes with these 2 programs on a dvd-9 movie.

Dvd decrypter is quicker on those smaller dvd-5 movies like napoleon dynamite. Quick and easy iso read/and iso write. I have done entire dvd's under 17 minutes this way.

Just use whatever programs that will work well for you.I do it this way and i am very comfortable with it. That is the most important thing,be in your comfort zone.

I usually do main movie only,unless people are having trouble backing up an entire dvd of a problematic new movie,then I will do that entire disc just for shi*s and giggles.

Any more ??? I re-rip a boatload of my backups at %100 success rate.

7. babagano

babagano Member

Yes, Saugmon, several questions!

You said: Dvd shrink and Nero are all I use on 95% of my original backup copies

Why bother with Nero on the first backup? Shrink burns the DVD, right?

I haven't worked with anyDVD, but if you are, I'll likely want to learn about it.

You said: I can get a high quality reproduced backup in 20 to 30 minutes with these 2 programs on a DVD-9 movie.

20 - 30 for ripping it or start to finish - insert the DVD original and finish with removing the burnt DVDR? I am taking a couple hours from start to finish and using Shrink's advanced analysis. Do you see a need for advanced?

One last ?? - you said: I re-rip a boatload of my backups at %100 success rate. Rerip meaning decrypt? or just use nero? backups have no encryption? so you can go straight to nero express, right?

THANKS!

8. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

Shrink uses nero to burn. You dont need to use decrypter except for the newer encryption on some discs. If you dump the extras you can try to get them under 4.37 gigs(4.7). When compression is required it takes a little longer and its up to you on the deep analysys but I am concerned about quality so I never skip it. I use shrink to copy my backups cause its easy but you can use nero if you want.

9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

@babagano,

Shrink does NOT burn on it's own.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Babagano, Dvd shrink and nero 6.0.0.21b oem are my main programs-when it comes to ripping off the encryptions for me. For this combo to work for me on some of the newer encryptions,anydvd running in the background,gives dvd shrink a boost. The Grudge is the last movie that shrink would not to alone, by switching anydvd on-running in the background,shrink cut right through it.

30 minutes? On those smaller dvd-5 movies,I have backed them up easily under 20 minutes, the dvd-9 movies take a little longer/depends on your system specs/- using main movie only.
    The larger the movie,keeping bonus crap,it will slow down significantly. The more compressing shrink does,the longer it takes to encode. Also the max smoothness/sharpness enhancements will difinitely slow you down even more. I use the max smoothness on those really large movies like lor/harry potter- Those have some serious shrinkage-even main movie only.

Re-rips? After shrink encodes that original copy of my movie to my harddrive, there are no copywrites.Nero automatically pulls out that file to burn after the encoding phase.
    I can then place that backup copy in my dvd-rom and an empty disc in my benq,open up nero express-disc copy feature,I have an exact copy of a copy at 4x in 15 mins. If I want to go find my output files on the movie through dvd shrink,Then it takes 5 minutes longer. I only save 5 minutes this way.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

you can output to dvd decrypter too from shrink...

[​IMG]